Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #3706
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Range question for those with 70 degree tanks mounted... what sort of range are you getting?

I'm contemplating a Baja (Ensenada down to Cabo) trip and wonder if I have enough range... it's time for me to start thinking about getting lost
It is very safe to assume 40mpg for that type of riding. You might likely see 45+ mpg. So looks like you can add 45mi to your current range.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #3707
alfredman22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Went for a hard trail ride yesterday and towards the end of the ride I noticed my FI light flashing. It only done it with the engine off but ignition on while holding either brake. If I released the brake it stopped until i applied the brake again or if turned the ignition off then back on it stopped. Never did it while running. It was a very rapid flashing; like 4 to 5 per second. Couldn't tell any sort of long or short sequence. Any ideas?
Mine was doing this, took it to the dealer (under warranty) turns out the rear brake light bulb wasn't making good contact with the bulb socket. I assume they just bent the socket tab out and all has been good since. Give it a shot.
alfredman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #3708
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredman22 View Post
Mine was doing this, took it to the dealer (under warranty) turns out the rear brake light bulb wasn't making good contact with the bulb socket. I assume they just bent the socket tab out and all has been good since. Give it a shot.
I have no confidence in my dealer since an incident right after I bought it. I will find somewhere else to use If something major occurs.
I did replace the bulb a couple of weeks ago and had some trouble getting it in there. I will check that out first thing tomorrow. Thanks a lot!
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #3709
mikecarpenter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Went for a hard trail ride yesterday and towards the end of the ride I noticed my FI light flashing. It only done it with the engine off but ignition on while holding either brake. If I released the brake it stopped until i applied the brake again or if turned the ignition off then back on it stopped. Never did it while running. It was a very rapid flashing; like 4 to 5 per second. Couldn't tell any sort of long or short sequence. Any ideas?
Start with the easy things. Take the seat off and unplug the brake/tail light connector. See if anything changes.
mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #3710
Humanbeingexpert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Came across a new 2011 for sale...think that there would any problems with seals etc since the bike hasn't been used since it built ~3 years ago? May buy it today. Thx
Humanbeingexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #3711
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanbeingexpert View Post
Came across a new 2011 for sale...think that there would any problems with seals etc since the bike hasn't been used since it built ~3 years ago? May buy it today. Thx
I bought my 2011 new, off the floor in September. No significant problems so far. Make sure to clean the air filter. The oil in mine tuned to junk and wouldn't allow a lot of air thru.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #3712
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
A friend bought a 2010 new last year and the injector was plugged and the fuel pump went bad after 30 hours,but other than that it was great and the injector and pump was warrantied.
I think they gave him an updated pump,see if the 2011 has the updated pump.
How much for the 2011 ?
My friend paid 6K for the new 2010 450fx last year.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #3713
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Dont want to sound like a broken record,, but I would make them guarantee they have physically checked the fuel pump..my bike was shipped well after the "new" pump was supposed to be installed..yet it still had the old pump in and it failed in about 30 minutes of riding.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #3714
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Dont want to sound like a broken record,, but I would make them guarantee they have physically checked the fuel pump..my bike was shipped well after the "new" pump was supposed to be installed..yet it still had the old pump in and it failed in about 30 minutes of riding.
Yes, agreed. I asked about it as an after thought after the purchase and the ever lovely sales manager said that the 2011's had no fuel pump problems and he told me to " quit reading all of the Internet bullshit". Haven't checked but no problems with it yet. This is also a TSB on fuel filters that needs to be done. Swapping out the standard ones for a gray one I believe.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #3715
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,382
My 2011 is on its 4th fuel pump!

Maybe this one will last? Maybe not? Next time a Cycleworks pump will go in its gut.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #3716
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
sprocket sizes

Hi all, what sprocket size combinations do you guys use for technical riding? any pros/cons of particular combinations?

cheers

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #3717
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
Hi all, what sprocket size combinations do you guys use for technical riding? any pros/cons of particular combinations?

cheers
Was 14/47 for general use and just put a 13 up front this past weekend for trail riding. Never got on any straight up single track but some very technical double track (creek crossing, creek riding, rutted/rooted climbs, tricky steep shale descents). With the 570 I never used first gear! Going to go back to the 14/47 unless I pan on some very severe, long rocky sections.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #3718
Humanbeingexpert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Went to check out the "new" 2011. It has 22 miles on it, but 6.5 hours? Also, some pitting on the paint on the motor...dealer says that is due to when shipped it is wrapped in plastic and there is condensation...looks superficial...just the paint. Overall, I think that they offered me a good deal on it...they also agreed to change the oil, since it has been sitting for so long and check the air filter too. The handlebars have the stamp so the fuel pump should be OK. I really liked the owner of the place, so that made me feel good. May pull the trigger tomorrow. Any thoughts...thx again.
Humanbeingexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #3719
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Was 14/47 for general use and just put a 13 up front this past weekend for trail riding. Never got on any straight up single track but some very technical double track (creek crossing, creek riding, rutted/rooted climbs, tricky steep shale descents). With the 570 I never used first gear! Going to go back to the 14/47 unless I pan on some very severe, long rocky sections.
thanks, i should have saids am already running 13/52 anyone running an 11 or 12 up front ?

cheers

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #3720
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Went to check out the "new" 2011. It has 22 miles on it, but 6.5 hours? Also, some pitting on the paint on the motor...dealer says that is due to when shipped it is wrapped in plastic and there is condensation...looks superficial...just the paint. Overall, I think that they offered me a good deal on it...they also agreed to change the oil, since it has been sitting for so long and check the air filter too. The handlebars have the stamp so the fuel pump should be OK. I really liked the owner of the place, so that made me feel good. May pull the trigger tomorrow. Any thoughts...thx again.
The hours/miles don't make sense.

How much do they want for the bike ?
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote