Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #4021
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdirtbikerider View Post
Do you ceramic coat the midpipe inside also?
I remember reading a old post that suggested
You should coat the inside also. Thx for your help
Yes. The coating shop I went to did the inside and out. They recommended it also.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #4022
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
remeberthefallen..the bike is looking good.. when I get to CO I am going to put the HDB stuff on...pretty much just like yours.... you are my hero I'm such a copycat. I will also finally get around to mounting the Safari front tank.. i don't think I am going to buy the 70 degree rear tank until I am out there a bit and see if the Safari plus OEM tank will be enough.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #4023
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdirtbikerider View Post
Do you ceramic coat the midpipe inside also?
I remember reading a old post that suggested
You should coat the inside also.
Thanks for your help.
This is interesting.

I have previously had another bike header ceramic coated inside and out and the results were excellent.

I have been to the same ceramic coaters, who mainly do racing and drag racing motors etc for a quote on the Berg pipe.

I asked about the comment about only coating the mid pipe and he looked at me a bit strange and said where did that come from and couldn't understand why you would do that.

Can anyone give a 100% accurate reply why you would not coat the entire header pipe inside and out and not just the mid pipe?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #4024
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
remeberthefallen..the bike is looking good.. when I get to CO I am going to put the HDB stuff on...pretty much just like yours.... you are my hero I'm such a copycat. I will also finally get around to mounting the Safari front tank.. i don't think I am going to buy the 70 degree rear tank until I am out there a bit and see if the Safari plus OEM tank will be enough.
Thanks! Pretty excited about it!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #4025
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
well I dont think there is any 100% answer when it comes to the heat issues on the Berg's... but my understanding is that the midpipe is the part of the pipe that runs next to the OEM tank.. so it is therefore, the part of the exhaust system that is contributing to the gas boiling issues. So let the heat escape from the parts of the pipe that arent near the gas tank, by not coating them... if you coat the whole thing... you pass all that heat into the can,, which can have negative consequences as well.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #4026
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
This is interesting.

I have previously had another bike header ceramic coated inside and out and the results were excellent.

I have been to the same ceramic coaters, who mainly do racing and drag racing motors etc for a quote on the Berg pipe.

I asked about the comment about only coating the mid pipe and he looked at me a bit strange and said where did that come from and couldn't understand why you would do that.

Can anyone give a 100% accurate reply why you would not coat the entire header pipe inside and out and not just the mid pipe?
I did both the header and mid pipe and my silencer temps went way up. No actual measurements but you could feel the heat. From what I understand from reading is that the coating prevents heat from escaping and dumps it all into the silencer. The silencer is very restrictive and stores that heat. An uncoated header allows heat to radiate out before it gets to the mid pipe and thus lower heat getting to the silencer. The issue we are trying to prevent is heat getting to the tank. I feel like either option would help but leaving the header uncoated a little cooler and is better for silencer. Maybe with a free flowing exhaust this wouldn't be an issues but my stock exhaust is far from free flowing. Have to remember that most of these drag cars have very high flow mufflers or no mufflers at all.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #4027
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Mrt10x beat me to it!

Like I said both of mine are coated inside and out. Not a huge deal. No more boiling issues. Just a really hot can before modifications. If I did it gain though I would leave the header uncoated.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #4028
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,888
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

The ceramic plater did say that due to the improved flow of hot exhaust gases travelling quickly though the header pipe then some extra heat may be felt at the muffler itself if it wasnt free flowing. The muffler on my Australian spec 390 is very free flowing and doesn't get very hot now so I wonder if it is less restricted than the USA model.

He also said that you really don't want different exhaust gas flow rates along a header pipe as it could affect the cylinder scavenging benefit it brings.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #4029
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 200
Funny I did the opposite. The first time I did my mid pipe only but I wasn't happy with the coat job so during a winter tear down I had the whole thing done inside and out. Then I took the mid pipe and wrapped the last half with header wrap because that section runs right next to the tank. I like this setup way better but I do have a Akro muffler so I didn't see much heat in the muffler. Much less heat around the middle of the bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one).. gone.. damit
05 Honda 650L.. gone
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #4030
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Finally got the subframe tank installed. Kinda a pain getting everything lined up right. Thanks Lukas for the 90* elbow idea. Made everything more tidy.
How did you guys spin the elbow on? I bought one and when turning the elbow into the subtank, the elbow hits the subtank mound and won't turn a full revolution.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #4031
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Cut off the first little nipple thingy with a dremel. Still have three left, holds the line just fine.

Had the same WTF moment when I tried to put mine on.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #4032
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Probably worth putting in a thread of its own Barry, it will get lost in here!
Plus the 70 Degree bikes are all shit, you know that.
good work cruz. spread the word they are shit and keep the price down in case we want to buy a spare berg.

here's the vid. tried to make it a bit practical and list some of the design flaws with our blue and yellow beasts but anyone on this thread should know it all off by heart....

Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #4033
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
here's the vid. tried to make it a bit practical and list some of the design flaws with our blue and yellow beasts but anyone on this thread should know it all off by heart....

Great vid B1. Thanks
KTMInduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #4034
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I'm not too good with wiring in general, but I'm going to attack some of the mess that's hidden behind my headlight...

Can anyone give me a quick answer as to what the general wire gauge is for most of it? 16awg? 18awg?

The low power stuff like the indicators is thinner than the other stuff, like the headlight wiring (obviously).
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #4035
Landroverholic
Callum

Oddometer: 41
New FE 570

Hi Guys

Just picked up a new 0kms FE 570 in Tasmania.

What run in procedure did you use? Did you 'use it' or 'baby it'?

I am presuming these things must be bench tested so likely has been run at max revs already?

Owners manual says oil/filter change at 1 hour 3 hours then normal 15 hours. Sounds good.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Callum