User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #4216
TexScrotumRidesAgain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Tool box by n16ht5

How do you find the tool box under the left rear guard working out?

I have a very similar toolbox off a KTM motard that I was going to put in the same place.

My only concern was the strength of the plastic side guard being able to cope with the extra weight of tools, does it flop around much?

I was also going to attach it in the same manner as you did with heavy duty cable ties.

If its working OK then I will start drilling holes in my side cover!

Cheers Evan

09 450FE
TexScrotumRidesAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #4217
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,200
Wow, great pics.

Carry on.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #4218
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
What position should the oem map dial/switch be in?,got 0>9 parameters on dial and is curently in 0,also can switch assembly be disconnected from wiring loom,and if so does ecm defaut to a preset mode?
1 for mild, 2 for wild. everything else is stock
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #4219
n16ht5
ride the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexScrotumRidesAgain View Post
How do you find the tool box under the left rear guard working out?

I have a very similar toolbox off a KTM motard that I was going to put in the same place.

My only concern was the strength of the plastic side guard being able to cope with the extra weight of tools, does it flop around much?

I was also going to attach it in the same manner as you did with heavy duty cable ties.

If its working OK then I will start drilling holes in my side cover!

Cheers Evan

09 450FE
works great. I tied it so it is tight against subframe
Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #4220
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Hi guys, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of these bikes. But not sure of which engine size is best for me. The idea is to turn this bike into a dual sport for multiday dirt rides with some camping gear on there. How do the 390 and the 450 fare in this regard? A few folks have recommended the 570 to me but there is definately a premium in price for one of these it seems like the 450's are the best deals, a good $1000 cheaper.. which leaves a bit of room for farkles.

Can the 390 or 450 tolerate highway miles, and cruise comfortably at 60? In terms of maintenance it seems like the 570 would be working the easiest and last a bit longer?

Also, what changes were made to the 09 thru 11 years? The only issue I'm reading about is fuel pumps on the 570. Was 2011 the only year where these bikes were street legal?

thanks
John
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #4221
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
1 for mild, 2 for wild. everything else is stock
Thanks
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #4222
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,544
i found the pbr can. i didn't ride up there with any in my hydration pack. nope. i wouldn't do something like that.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #4223
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Chain saw mount ?

N16ht5, Can you tell us how that saw mount is attached ? Also where did it come from ? Thanks
Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #4224
n16ht5
ride the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods wizard View Post
N16ht5, Can you tell us how that saw mount is attached ? Also where did it come from ? Thanks

I got it from Cyclebuy.com .. promoto billet chainsaw carrier plate. It is meant for their rack but it works fine just on the fender bolted through the subframe spars. We rode 75mi of black diamond singletrack and the saw stayed put the whole way. I used a small ratchet tie down to secure it.

I had to shorten the bottom mounting bar to four holes to fit between the subframe rails toward the seat. in back I went straight through.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #4225
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
pne

Check out the thread started by Lost Rider http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782994

Plenty of info mostly on the 390, but should translate over to other models. The 390 does all I need, but if you want more power on the highway you may want one of the bigger displacement models.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #4226
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
i found the pbr can. i didn't ride up there with any in my hydration pack. nope. i wouldn't do something like that.
looks like lost rider will now have some competition for the bergs-in-their-natural-habitat photos.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #4227
TexScrotumRidesAgain
Adventurer

Thanks n16th5 ,I'll fire up the drill and give it a whirl!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #4228
TexScrotumRidesAgain
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
Hi guys, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of these bikes. But not sure of which engine size is best for me. The idea is to turn this bike into a dual sport for multiday dirt rides with some camping gear on there. How do the 390 and the 450 fare in this regard? A few folks have recommended the 570 to me but there is definately a premium in price for one of these it seems like the 450's are the best deals, a good $1000 cheaper.. which leaves a bit of room for farkles.

Can the 390 or 450 tolerate highway miles, and cruise comfortably at 60? In terms of maintenance it seems like the 570 would be working the easiest and last a bit longer?

Also, what changes were made to the 09 thru 11 years? The only issue I'm reading about is fuel pumps on the 570. Was 2011 the only year where these bikes were street legal?

thanks
John

I've got a 09 FE450 and it has more than enough on the dirt for me, it feels lighter than it is in tight single track, the fuel injection is superb for the technical stuff, the bike is easy to maintain(although I've never had to take the fuel tank OFF)It also has the smoothest feel(vibs)through the bars of any bike I've ever owned.

When I stick the motard wheels on it for the twistys ,it puts a smile on the dial every time and there is enough power there to keep up with my mates on sports bikes at above road legal speeds.(they can't catch me in the corners, only on the straights).

I've read this whole thread(as well as other forums)and there don't seem to be any real issues with engine life.
I've never had fuel pump issues.

My bike has approx. 153hrs and 4900kms on it!

I love this bike and will probably keep it forever.

It does everything well and is the best bike I've ever owned including road bikes(I've been riding for 25years)

Did I mention I L O V E T H I S B I K E !!!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #4229
TexScrotumRidesAgain
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexScrotumRidesAgain View Post
I've got a 09 FE450 and it has more than enough on the dirt for me, it feels lighter than it is in tight single track, the fuel injection is superb for the technical stuff, the bike is easy to maintain(although I've never had to take the fuel tank OFF)It also has the smoothest feel(vibs)through the bars of any bike I've ever owned.

When I stick the motard wheels on it for the twistys ,it puts a smile on the dial every time and there is enough power there to keep up with my mates on sports bikes at above road legal speeds.(they can't catch me in the corners, only on the straights).

I've read this whole thread(as well as other forums)and there don't seem to be any real issues with engine life.
I've never had fuel pump issues.

My bike has approx. 153hrs and 4900kms on it!

I love this bike and will probably keep it forever.

It does everything well and is the best bike I've ever owned including road bikes(I've been riding for 25years)

Did I mention I L O V E T H I S B I K E !!!

I also need to mention that I bought this bike off a good mate, he did all the heat insulation mods(exhaust wrap , tank insulation, fan etc)and I've had no heat issues and it can get pretty hot down here in OZZ!

He's also a bit of a gun rider with lots of off-road experience.
After selling the bike to me he looked and tried all the latest and greatest bikes and you know what he ended up buying?........another 70deg Berg but went for the 2013 model.

I really think he regretted selling it to me!

The only time I've had the tools out of the pouch on a ride is for other bikes(2 different WR450s........seriously)

He and I only use mineral oil in the engine and change it often as it's so easy!

Did I mention I love this bike!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #4230
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,544
oh no! i don't consider myself in the same league with lostrider. he is much better at painting with light than me. the pictures he's posted are amazing and trips to match.

i can tell you, learn to pack your bearings properly. silly stupid mistake. but it did make for a lot of comedy for the crew while i replaced the rears with fresh bearings. luckily i brought a set along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
looks like lost rider will now have some competition for the bergs-in-their-natural-habitat photos.