User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #4351
ByStickel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Clutch lever throw/creep?

Does anybody else like to run their levers a little closer to the grip?

And are you able to eliminate the clutch creep/neutral issues with less throw in the lever?

While perfectly adequate, and no indicator whatsoever of my manliness, my fingers aren't overly long. When I dial the lever back to where I like it, neutral is hard to get. Dial the lever out and no problem, except that the reach to the lever becomes too great to keep fingers on it 100% of the time, which I'd like.

I could probably go with the 10.5mm master to get full throw of the clutch cylinder with less lever travel, but want to get folks' input before doing that.

PS: all of a sudden, I'm more interested in Husqvarna...
ByStickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #4352
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,510
Laugh

finally got me a modern dirt weapon, and it's pretty bad ass! well worn, but bad ass nonetheless. gonna spend some time cleaning 'er up and doing some upgrades.

if anyone has some "tips" for getting an AZ plated '09 570 through DMV, please PM me. i know it's possible, and a challenge...

woot!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #4353
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Congrats vintagespeed! You're going to enjoy that beastie

Lots of mods, pretty much everything ever encountered or done to the FE's, are in this mega thread or links in this mega thread (luggage, travel, tuning). Research
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #4354
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Old pump - new pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Well it took 80+hrs on the bike and lots of hard offroad miles but I finally experienced the dreaded fuel pump failure on my 2011 FE390, about 20 miles out on some rough trails... [but I did make it in with cool-offs, didn't get stranded].
As a followup to this: picked up my warranty replacement fuel pump assy from my dealer yesterday (complete: fuel pump, housing, hoses, filter, wires) just clicked it in, finished the install and my FE390 lives again!

Old Pump (2010 pump in 2011 model)_______ New Pump (2013 model, supposedly)

________

My dealer said he knew through KTM of about 60 pumps that had gone bad and reported to dealers/KTM. A bad batch of 'black tops' that got spread around. Of course who knows how many unreported failures.

He said this is the same pump they use in a whole bunch of scooters, Husky's, new KTM dirtbikes, 690's etc., so there should be ample stock of this pump for quite some time.

On a fun note one of his customers has over 30,000 miles on a FE 450 IIRC and has stubbornly not done any service other than wheel bearings, air and oil filters, oil changes. Not one valve check/adjust. He wants to see how far/long it will go. Apparently still starts great and runs strong. Jimmy Lewis told me last year, at the Bend, OR KTM Rally, when he tore down his 200hr FE570 for a report, there was nothing out of spec and he really didn't need to do anything. But since it was apart he replaced a very few things just for the heck of it. It's in a report somewhere.

These FE 70degree bikes are tough!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #4355
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
if anyone has some "tips" for getting an AZ plated '09 570 through DMV, please PM me. i know it's possible, and a challenge...
No tips really (sorry) - I don't think it'll even be possible (not *LEGALLY* anyway) to get a plate for an '09.

I thought the first year of 50-state legal was 2010.

Basically, if you go to the DMV and fail - you won't be able to do it again. Your VIN# will be in the system and will be flagged.

Now, there are some regs that say if a vehicle was registered out of state (and for the street) *AND* it has more than 7,500 miles on the odo, you might be able to do it.

Do some further searches on ADV (especially in the California forum) and you might get some better answers.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #4356
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByStickel View Post

And are you able to eliminate the clutch creep/neutral issues with less throw in the lever?

While perfectly adequate, and no indicator whatsoever of my manliness, my fingers aren't overly long. When I dial the lever back to where I like it, neutral is hard to get. Dial the lever out and no problem, except that the reach to the lever becomes too great to keep fingers on it 100% of the time, which I'd like.

I could probably go with the 10.5mm master to get full throw of the clutch cylinder with less lever travel, but want to get folks' input before doing that.

I have found the same issue and result as you. I have a stock 9.5mm master on my bike. Where can you get a 10.5?
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #4357
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Hopefully future years will see the "new" Husky further differentiate from KTM...like 70 degree 2.0 type of different. Otherwise, big yawn.
According to the Motocross Action Magazine -

KTM is looking to make the base KTM platform as a starting point for Husky bikes, along the lines of VW, Seat, Audi and Skoda platform sharing cars.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #4358
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Odd that they used Berg colors on a new Husky, but I guess anything goes now. Katoombergusky.

loving the colours ... same as my berg ... but keeping it 70degrees for a long while yet

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #4359
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByStickel View Post

even with full movement i get a little creep and neutral with the bike running isnt possible, have found that different oils makes a big difference, to the creeping

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
Old 10-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #4360
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
I have found the same issue and result as you. I have a stock 9.5mm master on my bike. Where can you get a 10.5?
some of the ktm sxf models run a 10.5 master, i think its the pre 2012 models, in 2012 they went to 9.5

away"
Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #4361
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,187

n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #4362
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
looks like you need the Timbersled setup.
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #4363
ByStickel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
If there are downsides to running the 10.5mm clutch master, it would be slightly increased effort, and that the slave cyl. may 'top out' before the master cyl. does. I do not know how much force it would take to blow out the circlip on the slave.(if that's what would happen) This could only potentially happen if the lever throw was adjusted incorrectly.

I saw that Rekluse makes an externally-adjustable slave, but do not know if it would be of any use in this case. They didn't see them mention it working with stock clutches, but I bet it does.
ByStickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #4364
lrp
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Da Hoose at the Clayton ride. She ran great!

n16ht5 - can you post a closeup of the saw mount/rack thx the mountain pic is nice, very nice

lrp screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 03:15 PM
lrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #4365
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Oddometer: 263
Irp, are you from Oklahoma?
How was the Clayton ride?