Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #4366
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrp View Post
n16ht5 - can you post a closeup of the saw mount/rack thx the mountain pic is nice, very nice
He already did a little ways back...nice setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
I got it from Cyclebuy.com .. promoto billet chainsaw carrier plate. It is meant for their rack but it works fine just on the fender bolted through the subframe spars. We rode 75mi of black diamond singletrack and the saw stayed put the whole way. I used a small ratchet tie down to secure it.

I had to shorten the bottom mounting bar to four holes to fit between the subframe rails toward the seat. in back I went straight through.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #4367
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Question

I have a 2012 570 with a safari tank (front)bike had this when purchased,have noticed the air cleaner only gets dirty over a small area on the sides where i guess the bike tries to draw intduction air into,do these front safari tanks hinder the performace etc of the bike?Seems yery muffled/restricted with induction air.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #4368
lrp
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdirtbikerider View Post
Irp, are you from Oklahoma?
How was the Clayton ride?
Yep, currently reside north of T-Town. The ride was great, well worth the trip. There are so many places to ride there, it would take a lifetime to accomplish.
lrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #4369
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,510
i'm working on getting this bike cleaned up, have found a few things to replace and have a couple questions.

looks to be a seeping at the back of the airbox seal, i'm guessing this is caused by blow-by from the crankcase vent? there is no evident oil in the airbox, just this goopy deposit on the top of the shock and bottom of the fuel tank.

could this residue be from over-oiling of the air filter??

second problem in this area is the lip of the airbox seal is turned to a gooey sticky rubber that looks to be disintegrating. i'm guessing maybe the PO used an incompatible grease to seal the air filter? it's nasty and i think i want to replace the rubber air boot completely.

spun the middle tank insert while removing the plastic "subframe" piece, but figured that out pretty quick with a 12mm wrench. gave me a bit of a heart attack tho. :)

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #4370
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
looks to be a seeping at the back of the airbox seal, i'm guessing this is caused by blow-by from the crankcase vent? there is no evident oil in the airbox, just this goopy deposit on the top of the shock and bottom of the fuel tank.
Most likely. Is there any evidence of an oil leak from anywhere else under the airbox area? What about the underside of the seat-pan?

Give the whole engine and under-tank area a thorough clean. Use a good de-greaser. That way if there is any sort of gasket leak or oil leak from anywhere you'll be able to spot it.

Quote:
could this residue be from over-oiling of the air filter??
I don't think so. The only time I've ever over-oiled a filter, it just collected as a goopy mess in the bottom of the airbox "tray".

Quote:
spun the middle tank insert while removing the plastic "subframe" piece, but figured that out pretty quick with a 12mm wrench. gave me a bit of a heart attack tho. :)
I know that feeling. I got a warranty replacement based on that issue. That was some time ago though - I don't know if they are still warranty'ing the subframe tanks for that issue. You might want to try.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #4371
vintagespeed
fNg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Is there any evidence of an oil leak from anywhere else under the airbox area? What about the underside of the seat-pan?
the rest of the airbox, tank and top of the engine are clean (at least of oil...) no evident leaks.

Quote:
Give the whole engine and under-tank area a thorough clean.
will be killing the grass tonight and hopefully getting this thing a little less N A S T Y.

Quote:
I don't think so. The only time I've ever over-oiled a filter, it just collected as a goopy mess in the bottom of the airbox "tray".
yeah, what was weird is the inside of the airbox is clean, no oil, no puddle, no nada. which i thought was a very good thing.

Quote:
I know that feeling. I got a warranty replacement based on that issue.
will check on that right away, thanks for the tip!

Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #4372
vintagespeed
fNg

minor update & questions, questions...

spent the better part of 2 hours cleaning, de-gunking and generally scrubbing, toothbrushing, scotchbrite-ing this bike until i have most of the ugly off. gonna spend the next few days cleaning up the scratches on the covers, re-routing the wire harness up the framerail and doing some painting. i have ordered a bunch of wiring & replacement stuff.

questions:

1. i'm going to pull the TB to thoroughly clean it and the injector, any "gotchas" to removing it? boots look good, everything is connected and working.

2. what spark plug is recommended? i'm away from the manual so i'm not sure what to order?

thanks!

Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #4373
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,187
Finshing up the mods..

Put on some Unabiker rad guards and an auxiliary light... 7 XML-T6 Cree LED's crammed into one aux light... driven very hard. Stupid bright, probably ~3,000lm. I will post some night shots tonight.

uses a lit up push button on the rear. HI-LO-Strobe. Rubber strap keeps it snug on the bars, and a plug makes it a 1min job to take off.

CRG style bar end mirrors from Ebay. very nice and tight, no more flopping around in the wind. Can see fairly well underneath my arms

Found a score on front tires... Michelin Starcross HP4... 3 tires for $100 shipped. Can't beat $33 for a great tire.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michelin-Sta...#ht_725wt_1124

n16ht5 screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 07:50 PM
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #4374
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
n16ht5, thanks for the tip on the tires.

I think that light is 1800lms. Are you running that on battery, or wired in somehow?
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #4375
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Oddometer: 263
Water pump cover gasket

I know it's a long shot but is there a Ktm water pump cover - gasket that will work on a 390 Berg?
To order one is going to take a week and I'm ready to ride.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #4376
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdirtbikerider View Post
I know it's a long shot but is there a Ktm water pump cover - gasket that will work on a 390 Berg?
To order one is going to take a week and I'm ready to ride.
Buy some gasket material and make your own....its not hard.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #4377
jlpred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
in..

Tired of reading all the "ooohhhh's" and "aaahhhh's" of these things so I'm now a member. So... where on earth do you buy the mythical CV turn signal piece? Or is the sicass multiswitch the way to go?

And no, the WR is not going anywhere. And yes, the Aprilia is for sale but there was no interest :(

jlpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #4378
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpred View Post
Tired of reading all the "ooohhhh's" and "aaahhhh's" of these things so I'm now a member. So... where on earth do you buy the mythical CV turn signal piece? Or is the sicass multiswitch the way to go?
I got my CEV turn signal piece from the dealer as part of a dual-sport kit when I converted my 'dirt only' '11 FE390. They knew all the parts I needed, extra wiring harnesses etc., and no it was not a pre-packaged kit. The dealer put the parts list together and I bought the ones I wanted and installed them myself.

Try looking here http://www.ktm-parts.com/OEMFINDER.html

cyborg screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 10:54 PM
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #4379
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,187
The CEV is a quality unit.

Hah, 1800lm.. good one.

n16ht5 screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 07:23 AM
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #4380
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
The CEV is a quality unit.

Hah, 1800lm.. good one.
Is this the one?
http://dx.com/p/letterfire-lf-70-7-x...FWOCQgodaFoAkg

Using a T6 bin and driving it at the reco'd current, 700ma(yields 280lms per element), I think that's how they're getting 1800lms. This site doesn't measure anything, so they're numbers are all over the place.
In theory, you could drive these at the theoretical max and get a theoretical number of 1000lms each measured right off the emitter before it goes out the lens and then your light will likely die of heat in minutes.

You running it off the bike, or a battery pack?
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote