Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #4441
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
After 4.5 years on my 690 I changed to a 570 in April. Same power (needs a little more revs), super suspension compared to 690 and some weight loss. I am a fan of torque and never like riding 450's and lower, this 570 is just what I needed.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #4442
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
I rode my bike this past weekend and the handling just felt terrible. It felt like I was riding with the tires flat and it would push the front end and slide the rear as if I was struggling to get traction. I tried taking out some compression and also drop the tire pressure from 16 PSI to 13PSI to see if I could get it to hook up beter on both ends but if it was any better it wasn't much. Anyone had this kind of issue before?

The suspension has been professionally done for my weight and it feels very plush soaking things up but just doesn't feel like either end is gripping and a terrible heavy feeling like the bike is pulling in either direction if you get your weight off center at all.
Try to add some rebound damping on the front, this will keep the front down in curves giving it more traction. Or is it just the slick soil, changed by the weather or something?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #4443
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
took the berg out to its natural habitat...

Great video (as always) Chris! You're doing a great job of showcasing the awesome fun trails we have here in the PNW.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #4444
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
I rode my bike this past weekend and the handling just felt terrible. It felt like I was riding with the tires flat...

n16ht5 likes to ride with 2 flat tires
Old 10-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #4445
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
Mind if a 690 owner crashes the party?

After a recent ride in UT where I was on my KTM 690 and my buddy was on his KTM 500, it became apparent to me that he did everything I did in terms of tarmac and trails, but he was 60lbs lighter (well, the bike was ) with better suspension and basically, a 'dirtbike simple' bike.

I do like my 690. I like the maintenance intervals, the 60+ HP etc, but it's also got it's drawbacks.

I've been seriously looking at the FE390 in the last week or so. I had done quite a bit of reading about the enduro capability, but the thread that got me was the longer distance touring thread. This seems like a great compromise for me in terms of strip it down for a day of tight woods riding or load it up (within reason) and you have a minimalist adv touring bike.

I'm a bit all over the place with what I want from the next bike, but so far the 390 seems like it may be the ticket. Street legal, plus the possibility of 1-2 week travel and/or perhaps engaging in this current fantasy I have of entering an enduro race.

I've seen a few names here that are familiar from the 690 thread. Has anyone here converted from the 690 and had regrets? Is there more maintenance than meets the eye?

Thanks for any input.

Cord

Funny how UT will make you think about a smaller bike.

I just got back from Moab last month with my 690, when one of the guys on the trip mentioned he was going to sell his 390... I now own both.

The 690 did great in UT, a lot better than a bike in that class can generally be expected to, but there were definitely a few trails where I wish I had a lighter bike. Poison spider trail comes to mind..

The 390 feels, and behaves much better in the trails. It inspires a lot more confidence than the 690 for sure, and is much easier to ride.

I will take the 390 on all trail rides, and probably the tighter ice tracks that we ride, but I would not consider it for longer distance adv travel, even with the Seat Concepts seat. I do not find the bike endearing on the pavement, and would not want to do long stretches with it.

Of course, the 690 has it's shortcomings on slab/ pavement too..

Once I get a 990 in the Garage, I can probably stop buying bikes for a while.

Just my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #4446
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Funny how UT will make you think about a smaller bike......Once I get a 990 in the Garage, I can probably stop buying bikes for a while....
yeah, for me it was Eagle Canyon, UT on the TAT last month. that was the last ride on my DR (which was well set up for dirt btw...) came home & sold it the next weekend, after 3yrs of loving it. one of these days i'll be trading off my street ride for a 990.....just can't bring myself to do it yet.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #4447
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,632
Question Stoopid question of the day....

is there a way to enable the O2 sensor in an unlocked factory ECU and get better mileage for long distance riding?

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #4448
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by GezwindeSpoed View Post
After 4.5 years on my 690 I changed to a 570 in April. Same power (needs a little more revs), super suspension compared to 690 and some weight loss. I am a fan of torque and never like riding 450's and lower, this 570 is just what I needed.

Try to add some rebound damping on the front, this will keep the front down in curves giving it more traction. Or is it just the slick soil, changed by the weather or something?
welcome to the club, i made the same move from the 690 too and have never looked back. the 70 degree configuration does result in a weight bias to the rear which could be the issue? i found the front wheel washing out a fair bit until i got my weight a bit more forward on the bike and found a front tire i liked.

if adventure riding, it helps to get the weight up front e.g. go the safari tank before the under seat tank, pile the heavy stuff in a tank bag and/or bags strapped to the radiator shrouds.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #4449
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Funny how UT will make you think about a smaller bike.

I just got back from Moab last month with my 690, when one of the guys on the trip mentioned he was going to sell his 390... I now own both.

The 690 did great in UT, a lot better than a bike in that class can generally be expected to, but there were definitely a few trails where I wish I had a lighter bike. Poison spider trail comes to mind..

The 390 feels, and behaves much better in the trails. It inspires a lot more confidence than the 690 for sure, and is much easier to ride.

I will take the 390 on all trail rides, and probably the tighter ice tracks that we ride, but I would not consider it for longer distance adv travel, even with the Seat Concepts seat. I do not find the bike endearing on the pavement, and would not want to do long stretches with it.

Of course, the 690 has it's shortcomings on slab/ pavement too..

Once I get a 990 in the Garage, I can probably stop buying bikes for a while.

Just my .02
Yep, my garage is now in the '90's: 990-690-390

and I think I'll stop there for awhile... enough maintenance & mods to keep me busy for awhile.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #4450
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post

and I think I'll stop there for awhile... enough maintenance & mods to keep me busy for awhile.

great combo....

950SE, 690 and 570 for me.....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #4451
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:

If you ever see me with this setup, it means I recently became single.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I'd love to be able to keep the 690 and get a 'Berg, but that's not in the cards right now. (The FJR is the 'us' bike, my 1973 R75/5 is my lazy Sunday ride. The dualsport bike is 'my' bike - and I have to keep the stable at 3...for now).

Funny how people have identified with my UT comment. If we had perfect conditions, I would have been pretty happy with the 690 and probably just come back and put new suspension on it. But we were there in and around the time that Moab was soaked and CO was flooding. That created havoc on the trails and I was envious of my buddy's 500 at times. I can tell you that with the condition of some of the trails, if we attempted that on 1200's, I'd still be up there.

We were attempting to do all of the UTBDR and the COBDR in 11-12 days. After day 2, it was constant rerouting and multiple game plans each day just to find trails that weren't completely washed out. We were able to get one night in CO, but then turned back to UT the next day.

Anyway......back to the Berg talk.

I'll backtrack through the thread to see if there are dealbreakers for me, but so far, I'm liking everything I see.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #4452
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,388
Nice. I love the ADV in blue/ orange.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #4453
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,273
Dang, Clops.. talk about an all star garage.
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #4454
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,142
Perfect. I miss my 950 and plan on replacing it....then will be450..690...950.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #4455
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,357
Pinched a freaking UHD tube, first time ever
rookie move.

I guess I'll get good practice

The M21 carcass is STIFF

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote