Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #5161
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
hate to say it, but i think it's time to start prepping the FE570 to sell it.

a few of us have got into trials lately so have been cross training on the dirt bikes. i had a play on a mate's 300EXC yesterday and it's so much easier to do the trials riding techniques on.

pivot turns are a struggle on the berg, and rear wheel hops are almost impossible but it was a piece of cake on the two stroke.

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #5162
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinevalley View Post
Jeff,

I assume you have the cut out for the smog equipment on you 2011, correct? I had to trim my sub frame (quite a bit) to get the tank to fit. The folks that have the subframe without the smog cutout or the sub-frame tank require only the fender to be trimmed. If you are interested I can see if I can dig up some photos.

pinevalley
Thanks guys for the replies! I tried it with the fender completely off and the fit issue is definitely the smog subframe. I find it odd there is no mention of this on Safari's website. I thought maybe I got the wrong tank.

Pinevalley,
I was reluctant to start cutting the subframe in case it would compromise the strength. Have you had any issues since you doctored yours? If you could find any pics it would be very appreciated! I don't mind cutting he subframe if it remains strong.
Best Regards to all....justjeff
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #5163
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post

a few of us have got into trials lately so have been cross training on the dirt bikes. i had a play on a mate's 300EXC yesterday and it's so much easier to do the trials riding techniques on.

pivot turns are a struggle on the berg, and rear wheel hops are almost impossible but it was a piece of cake on the two stroke.

Great pic....yeah not so easy to muscle the big Swede girl around. I took off my Safari frt tank & swapped out the stock muffler for a SXF one . 2 distinct advantages ,1st is noticeably less engine heat, fan only came on when stopped for a bit. You can touch the can even when the engine is running, not even hot. The weight difference is only 2.5 -3 lbs but feels like a ton . Removing weight up high is always a good thing. Also the engine of course feels much snappier , & does not pop on decal so the EFI is able to deal with the freer flowing exhaust. Win/Win. only drawback ,of course is more noise.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #5164
pinevalley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Thanks guys for the replies! I tried it with the fender completely off and the fit issue is definitely the smog subframe. I find it odd there is no mention of this on Safari's website. I thought maybe I got the wrong tank.

Pinevalley,
I was reluctant to start cutting the subframe in case it would compromise the strength. Have you had any issues since you doctored yours? If you could find any pics it would be very appreciated! I don't mind cutting he subframe if it remains strong.
Best Regards to all....justjeff
I have not noticed any issues with integrity post trimming. However, if you can find one used like vintage suggested I would go that route. I'll send you a PM with photos if I can find them.

pinevalley
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #5165
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
ouch. blame the luggage! with an existing rear weight bias i find the 570 really starts to handle strangely with luggage on the rear.
B1, actually the 390's handled amazing well with a bit of luggage on the back. HighFive and I rode some really tough stuff on that ride and neither of us were complaining about the handling. If anything, we were constantly amazed how well the Berg's did in that configuration. That particular toss was because during a clawing/scrambling steep climb the rear hit a big "roller" rock that threw the rear out sideways really fast and the bike plopped right onto the big rock and I dropped 6 ft or so (steep hill) and landed on my backpack and armor. No ouch, no damage. With the extra weight on the back the FE's actually dug in more for steep hill restarts and the Bergs will really chug down and grab traction instead of spinning.

Have fun with the trails riding! It's great fun and really takes your bike skills to another level. I rode trials comps for 4 years on my '05 Montesa Cota 4RT and I miss that bike now. May need to get another trials bike... HighFive is a long time Expert level trials competitor, I never got a picture of him down...
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #5166
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
very interesting about the rear luggage. i actually strapped the tent to the bars on one trip and moved all the tools etc to a tank bag to try and even things up and get some passable handling...

trials riding is definitely a hoot. it's not very practical but fun to pull a stoppie down a hill and kick the rear out to line up with the corner at the bottom.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #5167
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinevalley View Post
I have not noticed any issues with integrity post trimming. However, if you can find one used like vintage suggested I would go that route. I'll send you a PM with photos if I can find them.

pinevalley

Thanks pinevalley!
I received the pics and much appreciate them and the info! I will get to modding the subframe this weekend. Thanks for the help.
Best Regards....justjeff
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #5168
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,357
Certainly reinforces the point that just because 1 bike may be great for one person, doesn't mean its a great bike for someone else.

Quote:

BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #5169
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Cry Burnt toast?

Looks like the Husaberg (well, the engine anyway) is toast - or at least in need of more attention than I can give it at this point. I don't have the time right now for a big project, so it'll have to wait a month or two...

For those that missed it - I had a coolant host burst. At 70mph. After riding 200+ miles in Death Valley a couple of weekends ago. Fortunately I was only 3 miles from camp and got towed in - by 'Lost Rider' (Finn) on his Husaberg. The only thing that stopped my bike was that the increased temperature of the cylinder after the loss of coolant, melted the fuel line quick-disconnect fitting, causing fuel to piss out, losing pressure and cutting the engine. Quite dramatic.

So, I replace the visibly damaged parts (cylinder head temp sensor and split coolant hose) and dived in a little deeper...

Drained the oil - what little was left. It smelt quite burnt. Lots of soft debris. The bottom screen filter was completely clogged.

To confirm it was (or wasn't) clutch material, I pulled the clutch. All the plates seem good. Plenty of wear left there.

The top-end screen filter (the one that screws through the banjo bolt in the head is toast - it's detached from the banjo and wedged in there - won't come out.

I'll pull the filter tomorrow maybe, see if there's anything more to learn there.

I refilled the coolant after replacing the cyl-head temp sensor and the split hose. There might be a leak from the head gasket, just below the exhaust - I'll find out in the morning if there's a pool of coolant in the catch pan under the bike.

If I pull the engine - which I'll probably do - does anyone have any recommendations for top-end service. Will it need a new piston/rings too? I'm in the SF Bay Area, but I could easily deliver it to the Sacramento area too.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #5170
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
..I had a SILLYCONE coolant host SPLIT. At 70mph....the oil - what little was left.....bottom screen filter was completely clogged....recommendations for top-end service....
after blowing the hose and continuing to ride it until it melted the fuel line and coolant sensor, i'd say you'll be very lucky if a "top-end service" will solve your problems. the bottom end will have suffered from oil starvation.

sorry you did that to your motor.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #5171
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
I just scored a P3 carbon fiber skid plate NIB on eBay for $99 shipped!! Not sure if they have more, but it's worth a look! These sell reg. for $220

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #5172
Koko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Score! What was the seller?
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #5173
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Handlebar Motorsport

Life is good!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #5174
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko View Post
Score! What was the seller?

I just looked and I don't see anymore P3 ones, but I do see Moose has one for $159. That's not a bad deal either if they make them like the Pirie

Life is good!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #5175
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

My old P3 has 3 years of smashing over rocks and logs and it's just starting to splinter a bit. I always used aluminum and I'm lucky if I get a season before it's so twisted it won't fit back on.

Life is good!