Another fine day riding the Husaberg.

That is all.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #857
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Indeed. Another fine day! This pic makes me want to get on the gas! Love the FI in the 'Berg for high elevation riding by the way!

View from on top of Red Cone, at 12,800 feet.

Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #858
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
that looks awesome,here in NH its in the 90s and humid.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #859
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
I don't think so. Mine didn't for sure.
As far as the 2011 570S is concerned you will find your filter inside the tank. Look at the breakdown http://www.ktm-parts.com/pdf/HUS2011/2011_FE570S.pdf pg 19 under fuel pump and it is item #2. At least it's supposed to be there.

Mine is there as I flushed out my tank when it was new and I saw it inside the tank. I installed an additional inline filter just before the throttle body as I read over on ktmtalk about some people having injector problems and they were using the can-am filter #709000100 as a second filter to fix the problem. Didn"t know about the ktm kit, that might be worth checking out...
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one).. gone.. damit
05 Honda 650L.. gone
APBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #860
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBlack View Post
As far as the 2011 570S is concerned you will find your filter inside the tank. Look at the breakdown http://www.ktm-parts.com/pdf/HUS2011/2011_FE570S.pdf pg 19 under fuel pump and it is item #2. At least it's supposed to be there.

Mine is there as I flushed out my tank when it was new and I saw it inside the tank. I installed an additional inline filter just before the throttle body as I read over on ktmtalk about some people having injector problems and they were using the can-am filter #709000100 as a second filter to fix the problem. Didn"t know about the ktm kit, that might be worth checking out...
We were talking about the in-line Tb filter just released by KTM. It should be in all 2011 KTM FI systems on the small bikes.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #861
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

The add on throttle body mounted KTM filter is very tiny. The common mod over on the KTM Talk /Husaberg board is to add an inline cannister filter for a Can-Am quad as Navin mentioned. Here is a pic of my setup, complete with redneck engineering rad hose cushioning system. I put mine at the quick disconnect, others have put it just before the throttle body. Nice thing is when you take off the tank, the in line filter remains in place, always protecting the sensitive injector.

The Can-Am filters have been used for a few years now by a member who runs 'Berg rally bikes in Austrailia. He used to have plugged injector issues, no more with the Can-Am filter.

The stock in tank filter is small, made of molded plastic, does not filter too well (plugged injectors are common) and while rare, has partially split and caused the system to lose fuel pressure. I am thinking of removing the in tank filter rplacing the flimsy stock in tank hose with submersion rated FI rubber hose, and just running the Can-Am cannister filter, adding a gas filler filter sock (Splitstream sells them) and of course the pre-filter on the fuel pump. Sounds like a good winter project. The FI in this bike if fantastic, but it is sensitive to dirt. It worth the effort as my rides go from 6,000 to 13,000 feet. Nice to have the system compensate for all that and have the bike run perfect all the time.

The DJH manual cam chain tensioner shown in the pic is sold gold by the way. Highly recommended!

Duken4evr screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 07:10 PM
Old 07-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #862
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

The DJH manual cam chain tensioner shown in the pic is sold gold by the way. Highly recommended!
DJH is highly respected and I would not hesitate to use his parts or services. However, I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this one?

http://www.dirttricks.com/timing_chain_tensioner.htm

It is still automatic, so no manual adjustment required, but still seems to take care of the "ticking" issue. Compare the before/after audio of the running engine - mine sounds exactly like the "before." But the "after" sounds way more healthy. Are there any risks to going to one of these?

Before: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1ckqUpwB7Lg

After: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7v3rpWf8ubA

On the DJH, how hard is it to adjust? How do you know it's adjusted correctly? Do you go by torque on the center screw or how?

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 07-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #863
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Indeed. Another fine day! This pic makes me want to get on the gas! Love the FI in the 'Berg for high elevation riding by the way!

View from on top of Red Cone, at 12,800 feet.

Very nice, I'm glad to see the snow in the high elevations is decreasing. I'll be in Ouray the week of 7-25 and Crested Butte the week of 8-1, look me up if you are in the area.
PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #864
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,927
Beautiful pics Duke

If everything works out, I'll be out / up there end of August
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #865
p2im0
Revived dirt-rider

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
DJH is highly respected and I would not hesitate to use his parts or services. However, I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this one?

http://www.dirttricks.com/timing_chain_tensioner.htm

It is still automatic, so no manual adjustment required, but still seems to take care of the "ticking" issue. Compare the before/after audio of the running engine - mine sounds exactly like the "before." But the "after" sounds way more healthy. Are there any risks to going to one of these?

Before: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1ckqUpwB7Lg

After: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7v3rpWf8ubA

On the DJH, how hard is it to adjust? How do you know it's adjusted correctly? Do you go by torque on the center screw or how?
nobrakes,

I just installed the DJH tensioner on my '09 Berg a couple weeks ago, I have 46 hours on the bike and had no cam chain noise, but wanted to install it for peace of mind.

It's more of a "feel" type installation, no measuring of torque. IIRC, you want the tensioner as loose as possible to still do its job and keep the chain taught. Too tight and you'll start to wear parts, too loose and the timing won't be right (amongst other issues). Dave of DJH explains it best in his YouTube video here.

Dave has installation instructions for the 'Berg on his site here. However, the tensioner comes with an updated version of the installation instructions. I followed the instructions on the paper and installed the tensioner, tightened the allen bolt by hand until I felt light resistance then started up the engine. The instructions then say to back out the adjuster bolt until you can start to hear cam chain noise. I had a really hard time figuring out the threshold, and had to back it out about 2 full turns from its "lightly seated" position to start hearing chain noise. Then I turned it 1/2 turn tighter and used the locknut to lock it in place.

I've seen posts by others saying that they only have 3 threads or so visible on the adjuster bolt after installation, I have a bit more than that. I have no idea when the instructions were updated, or if anyone else has followed the paper instructions over the ones on the site.
p2im0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #866
p2im0
Revived dirt-rider

Oddometer: 7
FE570 Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLtrials View Post
The 2011 FE and FS 570 bikes have a key and switch, as they come street legal for the US.

All other US models do not come factory with a key or switch.

My 09 FE450 doesn't have the steering lock or a key switch. Just hit the button and go. I think some guys have added a KTM key switch to some.
Although I don't have a steering lock on my 2009 FE570 I always use a disc lock and I just installed the stock 2011 ignition switch, which was just recently put up for sale on SicAss Racing, it's a direct plug 'n play install. Post here
p2im0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #867
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2im0 View Post
nobrakes,

I just installed the DJH tensioner on my '09 Berg a couple weeks ago, I have 46 hours on the bike and had no cam chain noise, but wanted to install it for peace of mind.

It's more of a "feel" type installation, no measuring of torque. IIRC, you want the tensioner as loose as possible to still do its job and keep the chain taught. Too tight and you'll start to wear parts, too loose and the timing won't be right (amongst other issues). Dave of DJH explains it best in his YouTube video here.

Dave has installation instructions for the 'Berg on his site here. However, the tensioner comes with an updated version of the installation instructions. I followed the instructions on the paper and installed the tensioner, tightened the allen bolt by hand until I felt light resistance then started up the engine. The instructions then say to back out the adjuster bolt until you can start to hear cam chain noise. I had a really hard time figuring out the threshold, and had to back it out about 2 full turns from its "lightly seated" position to start hearing chain noise. Then I turned it 1/2 turn tighter and used the locknut to lock it in place.

I've seen posts by others saying that they only have 3 threads or so visible on the adjuster bolt after installation, I have a bit more than that. I have no idea when the instructions were updated, or if anyone else has followed the paper instructions over the ones on the site.
Thanks for the detailed response, p2im0, that helps a lot. After I posted that, I went and found those videos on DJH's sight, he explains things very well. I have the '09 and my understanding is that the '10s got an updated cam chain tensioner from KTM/Husaberg, so I am guessing they addressed this issue with the updated part. I don't know if the issue is really serious enough to buy an aftermarket part for or not, but I am considering it. The ticking noise doesn't really bother me, I listened to it more closely tonight and it's not really as bad as in the "before" video above. I have a little over 60 hours on my bike and it has been flawless in all that time. The part seems a little pricey, really. I mean, it's really just a bolt with a screw threaded into it. Should that really be priced at $89? Right now, with nothing else wrong and no other indication of problems or anything, I'm going to consider it a luxury item for now. I may still do it, but life has other priorities for those resources for now at least. Thanks again, though, your information is much appreciated!

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #868
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Although I don't have a steering lock on my 2009 FE570 I always use a disc lock and I just installed the stock 2011 ignition switch, which was just recently put up for sale on SicAss Racing, it's a direct plug 'n play install. Post here
Sweet! The guys at SicAss stay on top of the game.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #869
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
Thanks for the detailed response, p2im0, that helps a lot. After I posted that, I went and found those videos on DJH's sight, he explains things very well. I have the '09 and my understanding is that the '10s got an updated cam chain tensioner from KTM/Husaberg, so I am guessing they addressed this issue with the updated part. I don't know if the issue is really serious enough to buy an aftermarket part for or not, but I am considering it. The ticking noise doesn't really bother me, I listened to it more closely tonight and it's not really as bad as in the "before" video above. I have a little over 60 hours on my bike and it has been flawless in all that time. The part seems a little pricey, really. I mean, it's really just a bolt with a screw threaded into it. Should that really be priced at $89? Right now, with nothing else wrong and no other indication of problems or anything, I'm going to consider it a luxury item for now. I may still do it, but life has other priorities for those resources for now at least. Thanks again, though, your information is much appreciated!

I have what is probably an irrational need to replace auto tensioners with fully manual models on my dirt bikes. I like the simplicity of a nut and a bolt.

A great time to install one of these is when you check your valve clearance. Then, with the valve cover off, you can take out the stock tensioner and see and feel the tension on the chain guide when installing the manual model. I think most guys will want to over tension it. If "going blind", follow DJHs directions precisely and you will be fine.

The beauty going forward with the manual job is when you do your valve checks, simply unscrew the whole tensioner and leave the setting alone. No special procedure retracting the stock one. It is bone simple. I am kinda stupid sometimes, so simple works :)

Had a manual tensioner on my DRZ4000 for 9 years. Run clean oil and you may never need to touch it again. My DRZ did not require any tensioner twiddling after the initial setting.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #870
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Beware of a false since of security unless you lock your bike to something two dudes in a van or pickup might just come by and do you wrong. I just got ripped of this way. Luckily it was the the Berg