User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #1456
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Hi All,

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I found a 2002 HUSABERG FX470E on craigslist. The hours are low and the price is good at $2200 obo.

My questions are these:

can this be registered in CA to be street legal? I'd use it as an everyday driver/weekend warrior.

How are they to work on? I do most of my own work.

Are there after market parts available such as gas tanks, head lights...etc easily available?

Dont know anything about Husabergs and am thinking of downsizing from a large adventure bike, 98 Triumph Tiger.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #1457
Barshoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Contacting the DMV would be a wise place to start. The rest is secondary if you intend to ride on the street part time.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #1458
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi View Post
I dont know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I found a 2002 HUSABERG FX470E on craigslist.
Nope. Not the right place. It doesn't have a 70 degree cylinder does it?

Quote:
can this be registered in CA to be street legal? I'd use it as an everyday driver/weekend warrior.
Here's a link with some useful info regarding off-road stickers in CA: Understanding Off-Highway Vehicles Sticker Designation (Green vs. Red). The DMV's own info page is here.

Basically, from what I understand, if it's 2002 or newer you might be in luck and able to convert it from a green-sticker to street registered. BUT - if it has (or *EVER* had) a red sticker, you're S.O.L.

Quote:
Again, you're in the wrong place here...
Old 12-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #1459
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Hi All,

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I found a 2002 HUSABERG FX470E on craigslist. The hours are low and the price is good at $2200 obo.

My questions are these:

Are there after market parts available such as gas tanks, head lights...etc easily available?

Dont know anything about Husabergs and am thinking of downsizing from a large adventure bike, 98 Triumph Tiger.
BT, drinking the kool aid...

You can go most places the Tiger will go. Except you can actually GET OUT, too. Definitely makes things a little more enjoyable at times.

Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #1460
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
BT, drinking the kool aid...

You can go most places the Tiger will go. Except you can actually GET OUT, too. Definitely makes things a little more enjoyable at times.
Mudhen

Good to hear from you. Yes possibly drinking some cool aid. Just found a good deal and was looking for info.

Quote:
Nope. Not the right place. It doesn't have a 70 degree cylinder does it?
How do you tell and why is that important?
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #1461
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
How do you tell and why is that important?
Does the cylinder point [pretty much] straight up-n-down? Or, [like the title of this thread] does it point forwards at an approximate angle of 70 degrees?

It's only important in that this thread is focused on the newer Husabergs with the 70 degree motor and you're more likely to get the answers you're looking for elsewhere since you're asking about a pre-70-degree-motor Husaberg.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #1462
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Does the cylinder point [pretty much] straight up-n-down? Or, [like the title of this thread] does it point forwards at an approximate angle of 70 degrees?

It's only important in that this thread is focused on the newer Husabergs with the 70 degree motor and you're more likely to get the answers you're looking for elsewhere since you're asking about a pre-70-degree-motor Husaberg.
OK, thanks for the education

This is the bike Im asking about, is it a 70deg?

Bob Tosi screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 07:10 PM Reason: addpics
Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #1463
scabmachine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
negative ..70deg bikes are '09-current & 70deg refers to the 70deg engine meaning the cylinder faces forward on the bike @ a 70 degree angle.

Quote:
OK, thanks for the education

This is the bike Im asking about, is it a 70deg?

scabmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #1464
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,202
Can someone please remind which map is which? Does this affect just the mapping or does it also affect throttle response like the 690?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #1465
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
Can someone please remind which map is which? Does this affect just the mapping or does it also affect throttle response like the 690?
1 - Soft
2 - Agressive
3 - Standard

More snap with map 2.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #1466
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
The Trailtech map switch on my 390 lists them in order as:

- Stock, great all-round map for trailing running with the least fatigue and clears most big obstacles. Very precise, strong and smooth response.

- Mild, turns it into a super soft range, I think of a TW200, great in slippery ice and snow

- Wild, the bike gets noticabley louder, raps out much stronger and harder. Great for race mode or a huge gnarly hill where you need everything it's got. Wears you out faster trail riding due to the snappier hits.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #1467
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,309
Are the FE390 and FE450 bikes really street legal? I know they don't come with all the lights and horn and such, but those can be added. The real issue is whether they are titled as street legal. The FE570 is, but I'm finding mixed info on the smaller engines. Is the exhaust stamped with the necessary EPA wording? I called the nearest dealer today, which is in another state with more lax regs, and he didn't really give me a straight answer. I'm in Maine if anyone knows the specifics about getting an FE390 plated, I'd love to hear it.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #1468
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Are the FE390 and FE450 bikes really street legal? I know they don't come with all the lights and horn and such, but those can be added. The real issue is whether they are titled as street legal. The FE570 is, but I'm finding mixed info on the smaller engines. Is the exhaust stamped with the necessary EPA wording? I called the nearest dealer today, which is in another state with more lax regs, and he didn't really give me a straight answer. I'm in Maine if anyone knows the specifics about getting an FE390 plated, I'd love to hear it.
Easy to get a plate and title for one in Maine. A buddy of mine did on his 09 FE450, and they never even saw or inspected the bike. He's since left the blue stable for the orange stable.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #1469
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Easy to get a plate and title for one in Maine. A buddy of mine did on his 09 FE450, and they never even saw or inspected the bike. He's since left the blue stable for the orange stable.
What did it take to get the plate and title? Inspections are done separately, and are another issue altogether...
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #1470
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
What did it take to get the plate and title? Inspections are done separately, and are another issue altogether...
Don't know. Some of the guys on this thread are masters at tagging bikes. You might try contacting them. Crankshaft has a ton of tagging/plating know how. He can give you some advice.