User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #241
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,939
HI all,

I am in the process of buying a new toy and I would like to ask for your input all you berg riders
I have found the following bike (pics can be seen here > http://www.car.gr/classifieds/bikes/view/1714908/ ). It's and FE450 2005 model. I would like to ask if they have any common problems that I should be checking (like the waterpump etc), reliability issues and so on.
Does anybody follow exactly the berg's manual as far as the check's is concerned ? I was a bit scared when I read everything ...
I have seen that this bike does not have a skid plate nor a radiator fan. Also a larger tank would be nice to find. How difficult is to add these on the bike ? I have searched everywhere (including the unofficial berg site) and I can find everything for a 2006 model and above but nothing for the '05

640 Armageddon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #242
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Hello 640! That bike looks very clean. With 333 hours though, I think the price is high. I don't know what your market is like though. If it has been rebuilt, it would be a fair price. It looks like they have 06 and up plastics and fuel tank.

I have 302 hours and 10,000 miles on my 05 FS650 and it still pulls hard. I have only changed the valve springs, valve seals, timing chain, cam follower bearings and a couple waterpump seals. I'm looking into rebuilding my engine soon.

Edit; I change oil every 6-10 hours. Filter every other oil change. Valve check/adjust every 30-40 hours. I ride o the street, and the dirt with mine.

A motard setup is worth $600, so it's only 300€ more, a good deal in that regard. If the seller will deal, maybe you can budget a rebuild and have a near new bike.

Good luck with the haggling!

Google translate is confused.. From ad;

the bike is the pentakatharo.me motart and evaporation 3100. without the motart 2800.kai without motart 2500.poleitai and evaporation of necessity. For more on the phone

Idle screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 07:21 AM
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #243
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
Google translate is confused.. From ad;

the bike is the pentakatharo.me motart and evaporation 3100. without the motart 2800.kai without motart 2500.poleitai and evaporation of necessity. For more on the phone
Many thanks for the info !!

What it actually says is this

The bike is very clean, with motard wheels and exhaust pipe the price is 3100 Euro. Without the motard wheels 2800 Euro and without the motard wheels and exhaust pipe 2500 Euro. For more info please call.

I have to ask about the rebuilds I think ...
Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #244
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Well, I spoke with the guy and he was quite honest, he has not changed anything on the bike engine, just oil changes every 10 hours, the plastics indeed are from a 06 model, other than that he says that the bike doesn need or needed anything else. ...

I am new to these engines, I own a 640 at the moment and I am a bit scared of the 10 - 20 hours oils changes and the spares that these engines may need (costwise). Although from what I have read everywhere I want to buy this bike like mAd
Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #245
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Did the weather break,yet?

Yesterday hit 55 degrees out, took the Hussy out for a short ride after work.

I'm comparing a European race bike to my WRR.
The ride and handling was just as good, maybe/probably better, than the WRR, way more power,easy to maintain 65 mph.
The only downside is the engine does vibrate more, hopefully not enough to ruin a days ride.
Was smoother than my DR650 that I couldn't stand.
Sorta like an electric razor vs an electric circular saw.

The weight is very noticeable just pushing the bikes around the shop, hard to believe 50 lbs would be so noticeable.
The Hussy is a physically larger bike, makes the WRR look like a kids bike.

I'll know if I like it after my 1st 200 mile day.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #246
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcj7 View Post
Yesterday hit 55 degrees out, took the Hussy out for a short ride after work.

I'm comparing a European race bike to my WRR.
The ride and handling was just as good, maybe/probably better, than the WRR, way more power,easy to maintain 65 mph.
The only downside is the engine does vibrate more, hopefully not enough to ruin a days ride.
Was smoother than my DR650 that I couldn't stand.
Sorta like an electric razor vs an electric circular saw.

The weight is very noticeable just pushing the bikes around the shop, hard to believe 50 lbs would be so noticeable.
The Hussy is a physically larger bike, makes the WRR look like a kids bike.

I'll know if I like it after my 1st 200 mile day.

I'm not busting balls.

But if your still comparing your hussy[i assume 650?]to a WRR,or your DR650,then i would recomend revving that sucker alittle more.
Hold that bitch open till you hit the rev limiter,or you hit that rpm where you loose vision for a second.You'll see what i mean.
Take it from Doug Henry.

http://youtu.be/tiaaXmZeg9E

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #247
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
I'm not busting balls.

But if your still comparing your hussy[i assume 650?]to a WRR,or your DR650,then i would recomend revving that sucker alittle more.
Hold that bitch open till you hit the rev limiter,or you hit that rpm where you loose vision for a second.You'll see what i mean.
Take it from Doug Henry.

http://youtu.be/tiaaXmZeg9E
Funny vid, but power isn't the only thing that makes a good dualsport.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #248
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:

MMMmmmm,hell yea it is!

A Berg is a race bike,born and breed.Now dont get me wrong,you can dual sport one.Just look at the BOSS.

If you go fast enough,you dont have to really plant your ass on the 2x4 with a seat cover on it,and you wont even notice the vib's.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #249
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

So i found the the TM designs for the pre09 Bergs.

And then just switched sticker from one side to the other.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #250
dakarchef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
First ride 650

Well, I spent the last 6 months sorting out a 01 650 fe that I picked up cheap as a non runner with the idea of parting it if it was beyond help. Found the stator was bad and when i took the top off, the piston and liner looked minty mint. Did the stator, cut valves and seals, new cam, chain, chain tensioner and valve springs. Finally got the opportunity toI take it out around the farm in very greasy conditions. This thing makes crazy power. I was expecting a monster but nothing like it is. I'm looking forward to giving it a go in better conditions. Still need to get it tagged for the road and do the asthetics (didn't want to do anything until I got it running well) Hopefully I've dealt with the issues and will have a reliable bike.
Btw, I'm looking for a side stand for it.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #251
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
clutch plates

I sold my 05 FE450 and am selling new clutch plates if anyone needs them.

Thanks

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773050
Old 03-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #252
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multisurface Rider View Post
I sold my 05 FE450 and am selling new clutch plates if anyone needs them.

Thanks

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773050

$50.00 plus shipping.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #253
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Got a nice long ride in today, topped off the tanks and hit the trail.
1st impression was the lack of wind compared to my WRR.
2nd was the ease of maintaining 65mph.
3rd was the 450 had 2x the engine vibs of the WRR250, but not bad enough to wear me out.
4th was great I was only expecting 30-40 mpg. Our 1st fuel stop was 66.9 miles and it only took 1.1 gal to top back off, thats almost 60mpg!!!! buddies 530 KTM took 1.4 gal, 48 mpg. My WRR with 1/2 the power didn't do much better.
5th was how nice the Scotts steering stabilzer worked, loose gravel was no problem.
6th was how good my rear felt after the ride, the Renazco seat was great for a 140 mile ride.
7th who wants a WRR???
Old 03-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #254
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
Got a nice long ride in today, topped off the tanks and hit the trail.
1st impression was the lack of wind compared to my WRR.
2nd was the ease of maintaining 65mph.
3rd was the 450 had 2x the engine vibs of the WRR250, but not bad enough to wear me out.
4th was great I was only expecting 30-40 mpg. Our 1st fuel stop was 66.9 miles and it only took 1.1 gal to top back off, thats almost 60mpg!!!! buddies 530 KTM took 1.4 gal, 48 mpg. My WRR with 1/2 the power didn't do much better.
5th was how nice the Scotts steering stabilzer worked, loose gravel was no problem.
6th was how good my rear felt after the ride, the Renazco seat was great for a 140 mile ride.
7th who wants a WRR???

Old 03-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #255
STFU
Found

Oddometer: 397
FX650e?

Can anyone decipher the differences between the FX and FE model for me? I found a 2002 FX650E for sale and would like to pick it up and plate it for road use. Are these much the same as the FE models, just with out the lights? I assume they are similar to the KTM WX-C models that were like EXC bikes, just no lights. The owner advertises that it is wired for a head light.

Is the chassis and engine the same?

***Never mind, found the answer... Same as enduro model but with out the lights mounted. Also seems to share similar fork set up with moto cross model. Basically the off road race version of the enduro. Should be fine for a dual sport conversion.
XR250R
TR200 FATCAT!

STFU screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 03:55 PM
STFU is offline   Reply With Quote