ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #256
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,597
Question to Sam and Repo.

I noticed on the KLR the steel tubing they used for the spine of the bike and the down tube holding the engine is very thin and the obvious reason for the frame cracking reports. Did either or both of you re-enforce it or replace it with a heavy gauge metal?
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #257
SamM
Jeep Overlander
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 1,471
Yes, I have been looking at reinforcing the downtube section of tubing. That is where most breaks occur. After the tubing where the front KLR engine mounts are located has been removed, it's quite easy to reinforce the downtube with new tubing inserted into it. Holes can be drilled and it could then be plug welded. Thankfully, KLR frames are cheap and I have an extra to experiment with.

The backbone section would be harder to reinforce. The upper subframe mount is located there. It would have to be removed before any reinforcement to take place. I'm not saying that it can't be done. I thought seriously about cutting the frame at the downtube and backbone and just using the front steering head section of the frame. I still may at some point in the future to reduce weight. This would make a wider swingarm possible and centering the engine easier. A dedicated KLRE frame could actually be built around the engine and use the rear engine mount as a swingarm pivot. I have a 950 swingarm that could be used on it.

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #258
SamM
Jeep Overlander
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
You 2 are killing me. I need one of these bikes.
__________________
Calvin
Just a little while longer Calvin!

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #259
SamM
Jeep Overlander
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 1,471
Here's a teaser spyshot! Just so everyone knows we're actually building a KLRE650.

SamM

SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #260
repsolrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
repsolrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver island
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Question to Sam and Repo.

I noticed on the KLR the steel tubing they used for the spine of the bike and the down tube holding the engine is very thin and the obvious reason for the frame cracking reports. Did either or both of you re-enforce it or replace it with a heavy gauge metal?
I havent heard that. The front tube is totally upgraded, the spine has no changes, but no longer is bolted at the engine.

Cheers Scott.
__________________
KLRE650 BIKE BUILD THREAD
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640772
repsolrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #261
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolrider View Post
I havent heard that. The front tube is totally upgraded, the spine has no changes, but no longer is bolted at the engine.

Cheers Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post

The backbone section would be harder to reinforce. The upper subframe mount is located there. It would have to be removed before any reinforcement to take place. I'm not saying that it can't be done. I thought seriously about cutting the frame at the downtube and backbone and just using the front steering head section of the frame.

SamM
I was thinking that a piece of muffler tubing could be cut to shape and then weld it across the top and sides. It's not much, but better than nothing.

It's at that point where my frame cracked and from what I've read on KLR forums, is a serious weak point. The axis where the subframe and shock towers are welded to the spine takes a lot of loading. It looks okay for light work, but anything more than that I don't think it's capable of sustained use without undue stress, fatigue, and eventual failure.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #262
SamM
Jeep Overlander
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
I was thinking that a piece of muffler tubing could be cut to shape and then weld it across the top and sides. It's not much, but better than nothing.

It's at that point where my frame cracked and from what I've read on KLR forums, is a serious weak point. The axis where the subframe and shock towers are welded to the spine takes a lot of loading. It looks okay for light work, but anything more than that I don't think it's capable of sustained use without undue stress, fatigue, and eventual failure.
Adding a piece of steel to the outside of the frame in that area sounds like a good idea. Do you have any pictures of the frame failure? I'd be interested in seeing that. Repsolrider is correct. The KLRE650 does not use the upper KLR engine mount. Without the engine hanging from that mount the frame is probably not experiencing the same stresses as it is with the stock KLR engine. It might be fine as is. An upgrade in that area may be the wise course of action. I don't want a frame failure. Thanks for bringing this up!

No comments on my KLRE picture?

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #263
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
Adding a piece of steel to the outside of the frame in that area sounds like a good idea. Do you have any pictures of the frame failure? I'd be interested in seeing that. Repsolrider is correct. The KLRE650 does not use the upper KLR engine mount. Without the engine hanging from that mount the frame is probably not experiencing the same stresses as it is with the stock KLR engine. It might be fine as is. An upgrade in that area may be the wise course of action. I don't want a frame failure. Thanks for bringing this up!

No comments on my KLRE picture?

SamM
You're a tease...........

Here's a picture of my frame crack. From what I understand this failure is not at all uncommon. (from my project bike http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699117 )

__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #264
McJamie
STROMINATOR
 
McJamie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
You're a tease...........

Here's a picture of my frame crack. From what I understand this failure is not at all uncommon. (from my project bike http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699117 )


Just say no to crack.


This build type ( Versys/KLR hybrid thingy) may be the perfect adventure touring bike. You all the benefits with almost none of the drawbacks. I am more impressed everytime I see it. If I had the skills, I'd try one myself. But sadly...................., no. I have enough half-finished projects rolling around in the garage anyway. Plus another half dozen rolling around in my mostly functioning head.
__________________
If you get far enough away, you'll be on your way home.
Piss off, I'm in my Happy place.
McJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #265
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolrider View Post

I've seen that bike before. Oh yeah, here it is, circa 1986....

What's old is new again.

Seriously, nice build repsol. Since you aren't going to produce these, care to share detailed build plans so others can give this a go?

-SM
Attached Images
 
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #266
Ko
Observant as never
 
Ko's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: a spot in the prairies
Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I've seen that bike before. Oh yeah, here it is, circa 1986....

What's old is new again.

Seriously, nice build repsol. Since you aren't going to produce these, care to share detailed build plans so others can give this a go?

-SM
umm, both bikes have two wheels
Repsol's bike looks more finished than the factory one


.
__________________
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #267
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,760
Laugh Watch out for logs!

~


Yep, the Guzzi and Repsol's bike both have two wheels, a front disc brake, etc....

But check out the engine oil sump on the Guzzi hanging below the frame rails. Something tells me that's a technicolor disaster just waiting to happen.

I think Repsolrider has built one of the most amazing and well thought out "Specials" I've ever seen, and his attention to detail and *finish* of the bike is simply extraordinary. Kudos to you, Repsolrider!

I only wish either you or Kawasaki were building such a bike where all of us drooling over it could buy it!

I sure rather have it than that Guzzi, or my Versys.

Dallara



~
__________________
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #268
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
umm, both bikes have two wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~


Yep, the Guzzi and Repsol's bike both have two wheels, a front disc brake, etc....
ROFL. Both of you completely missed the point.

I agree Dalara, it's a great build. Why? Because this is a segment that most manufacturers have left behind (hence my comment "what's old is new again"). Smaller, lighter, more economical (to buy and to operate!....aka NOT BMW F800s, Triumph 800's, etc. at $13k+ ), capable on any surface (truly capable on both sealed and unsealed roads), comfortable....that's the opposite direction of most manufacturers now. Today it's bigger, BIGGER, and BIGGER, and with it MUCH more expense and complexity.

I wasn't saying those two bikes are identical in HOW they achieved their goal (in fact they couldn't be more different). I was saying they both hit the exact same target, and one that is very relevant right now.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #269
Maxacceleration
What now
 
Maxacceleration's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Wa
Oddometer: 1,935
I agree Sock.
Both good middle weight bikes.
I am so sick of bigger bigger bigger.

Suzuki could also put their GS500 (twin) motor in a DR package for fun middle weight results (of course they have the DL, but a v-twin takes a lot of space).
Air/oil cooled.

The pounds add up quickly. Fairings, rack, guards etc to me make a reasonably light bike heavy quick. Put long suspension on and the weight is high.

The Rio looks a good balance.

The old Guzzi is sweet.
__________________
Horsepower is a distant second to useable torque, unless cafe cruising is the reason for the purchase...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #270
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,760
Thumb Smaller, lighter, more maneuverable twins...

~


Hey, I agree with both of ya'!

I'd love for the manufacturers to build some smaller, lighter, more maneuverable twin-cylinder dual-purpose bikes. Hell, I'd love it if Honda brought back the SL-350...

Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see anything like that here in the USA. As much as there are a small group of people here that say they'd buy something like that past history doesn't show the USA market supporting enough sales. I used to be a Honda dealer, and I watched as the wonderful Honda 650 Transalp was completely ignored but American riders. That was back in 1989 and the early 1990's. Though dropped from the US market the same basic model is still being sold in markets all over the world. The Kawasaki Versys I have now is better in some ways than those fantastic old Transalps, but worse in many others.

It's a grand idea, but I seriously doubt you'll see such bikes in the US market anytime soon. Here, unfortunately, the vast majority of the American motorcycle buying public is mired in the "Bigger is Better" mentality.

Hell, I've been riding long enough to remember when a 650 Triumph twin was considered a *BIG* bike!

And 650 Triumph twins made great dual-purpose mounts...

Dallara



~
__________________
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 07-07-2011 at 07:15 PM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014