Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #76
repsolrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Baldy View Post
Incredible work. Looks really, really good.

Question...if the donor bike is a Versys, would it not be easier to simply upgrade the Versys with better suspension? I'm trying to understand what it is about the KLR that makes a better basis for the swap. Or is it that one has a KLR and needs just some parts (engine etc) from the Versys to make a better KLR, but if you had a Versys already, then there would be an easier route to build a capable Versys?

Very good question. I have ridden a lot of bikes and this just works the best for me.

Wheel base, steering angle ,etc they all give a bike its personality. I love the way a KLR with good bars feels. Thus my choice. The Verseys is an awesome bike, but its always going to be a road bike. Not bad just different.

If money savings is the object The Verseys or Ninja Mutant is the way to go.

repsolrider screwed with this post 12-08-2010 at 02:26 PM Reason: spelling
repsolrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #77
stou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Wow very very nice bike!!!

Kawasaki must look at that bike and think twice before working on the 2012 KLR.

You did an hell of a job with that bike! Very very well done!

I'm a bit curious, how does it work on the trail compare to a regular KLR?
Montreal to Moab 2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343166
stou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #78
TheMuffinMan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 5,052
Looks sweet! Would give the V-Strom 650 a run for it's money for all-around versatility I think.

Though the v-strom is better off-road....
with new fork springs, tkc-80's, a skid plate, crash bars, and a 14t front sprocket

Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #79
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolrider View Post
Wheel base, steering angle ,etc they all give a bike its personality. I love the way a KLR with good bars feels. Thus my choice. The Verseys is an awesome bike, but its always going to be a road bike. Not bad just different.

my thought too, I like the way a klr feels. I like the handling and how you can push it through and the way it talks back. Its just a nice bike. There has been a lot on money spent on hopping up the KLR, and that has been because people like the over all feel, which comes from the frame specs and material. This 650 twin version gives the power, fuel injection, and 6 speed that a lot of people like. If you can keep around 415 wet then you have a great combo. That should work well off road, and would in my bike. At that point not sure mine would still be classified as a klr

It would be the closest thing made for what I like to do, and should be seeing how it would all be modded to suit my taste
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #80
Bell47Pilot
MonkeyButt

Oddometer: 1,759
Will it shoehorn into an older KLR? Came out of a wreck ahead of the game with a KLR I didn't have to fix up. I'm always looking for sixth and seventh gear
Ride On
Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010 #1
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the
boundary of disaster. (Sterling Moss)
Bell47Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #81
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
I like the F800GS and the new Tiger800. I thought one of these could replace my R1100GS and my Trusty KLR. Now this, the more I look the more I like.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #82
nomosnow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
The popularity of this thread will not go unoticed by Kawasaki it will happen ( hopefully) that is the official KLRE650 form Kawasaki.
nomosnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #83
johnwesley
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multisurface Rider View Post
I like the F800GS and the new Tiger800. I thought one of these could replace my R1100GS and my Trusty KLR. Now this, the more I look the more I like.

I'm with you, looking at a tiger 800xc, but if I can make this happen then there would be no need
Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #84
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
It would be great to see a bike like this from Kawsaki. I'm doubtful as to whether or not they could pull it off. They would totally miss the mark. Much like BMW did with the F800GS. If BMW would have truely designed a proper off-road capable dualsport bike with the parallel Rotax engine and then, brought it to market at a reasonable price, we would not be talking about the KLRE.

We have all heard the reports of Kawasaki having focus groups and roundtable discussions about a Kawasaki Adventure bike. Still nothing new comes to market. This year, the Versys got a new color and you can't get black anymore! WooHoo! The economy isn't helping Kawasaki decide to make it and none of us are getting any younger. Suzuki didn't even bring bikes to America this year.

I say start buying your Versys and Ninja parts now!

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #85
johnwesley
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
It would be great to see a bike like this from Kawsaki. I'm doubtful as to whether or not they could pull it off. They would totally miss the mark. Much like BMW did with the F800GS. If BMW would have truely designed a proper off-road capable dualsport bike with the parallel Rotax engine and then, brought it to market at a reasonable price, we would not be talking about the KLRE.

We have all heard the reports of Kawasaki having focus groups and roundtable discussions about a Kawasaki Adventure bike.
SamM

Sam is right. It is not going to happen with Kawasaki. Look at what they have done with the new klr. more weight less travel, I am surprised they didn't stick a 19" front rim on. It would be the general direction they are headed, and fit the klr better for the market they are pushing. Lets face it they gave us their vesion of this bike and it is the versys. A nice bike, but no thought of off-road. low ground clearance, small tank, short on suspension travel, and 17" front wheel. Not what I am looking for in a bike.

they did give a nice motor though
Old 12-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #86
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,495
Unfortunatly, it's still a KLR and no matter what you do, they are never worth more than about $3800.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #87
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,947
I love it! Awesome build!
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #88
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
The Versys doesn't work for me. I wanted to like that bike and wanted it to work for me. However, the more I looked at it and watched the video of it on the Kawasaki website, the more I knew I had to look elsewhere. For awhile, I flirted with the idea of buying a new 2011 Husqvarna TE630. I was all over one and had half the money to buy it in my pocket. A few more months of saving and I could have just bought it outright. In the end, it wasn't the bike for me, for many reasons.

The KLRE650 is the bike that I want. It has everything that I want in a dualsport motorcycle. The ergos and aftermarket support of the KLR and the power of an EFI controlled parallel-twin engine making 65hp coupled to a 6-speed transmission. This is world class stuff!

My KLR650 already has an upgraded suspension and I've dropped the weight of the bike down to 345lbs (dry). Hopefully this will turn into something that will serve me well, for a long time.

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #89
johnwesley
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Unfortunatly, it's still a KLR and no matter what you do, they are never worth more than about $3800.
good thing I don't build'em to sell'em. most of my bikes have so many miles on them they are not worth anything when I sell them. never sold one for more than 2,500. no matter the make
Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #90
repsolrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
If you knew my friend Rio you might understand. Its not what it cost or what its worth, but what it can do.

He would always bring out the most clapped out looking machine and ride circles around everyone. This bike would make him smile.

They will never see me coming and scratch there heads when I go by.This will make me smile.
repsolrider is offline   Reply With Quote