User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,455
Attn CRF230L owners - I need some input

Without having to search lengthy threads for intel, Im starting this thread looking for some quick answers.

Im helping a friend build up a 230, looking to wake it up so it can handle some light duty trail riding. Its bone stock now and rather timid - theres gotta be room for improvements

What Im looking for: Steer me in the right direction if there is a better choice

1: After market exhaust. Something quiet that adds performance. Im thinking FMF

2: Air filter. No brainer here, it really needs to breathe. Probably Uni or Moose

3: Jetting - heres where I need the most input (jet sizes, needle settings) 600ft above sea level

4: Gearing - thinking drop one down on the countershaft and up 2 on the rear. Want this thing to act like a mountain goat - not concerned with top speed

5: suspension. Stiffer springs if available and heavier weight oil in the forks.

6: Plans are to install some Dunlop 606's as well

Any input is appreciated. He is shopping for a 690, and 230 just needs to pacify him till he gets his hands on one. Then this will become his backup/daughters bike
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

100 lookers so far and no response ???
Old 02-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,915
http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF230F.htm

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Drabnor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Without having to search lengthy threads for intel, Im starting this thread looking for some quick answers.

Im helping a friend build up a 230, looking to wake it up so it can handle some light duty trail riding. Its bone stock now and rather timid - theres gotta be room for improvements

What Im looking for: Steer me in the right direction if there is a better choice

1: After market exhaust. Something quiet that adds performance. Im thinking FMF

2: Air filter. No brainer here, it really needs to breathe. Probably Uni or Moose

3: Jetting - heres where I need the most input (jet sizes, needle settings) 600ft above sea level

4: Gearing - thinking drop one down on the countershaft and up 2 on the rear. Want this thing to act like a mountain goat - not concerned with top speed

5: suspension. Stiffer springs if available and heavier weight oil in the forks.

6: Plans are to install some Dunlop 606's as well

Any input is appreciated. He is shopping for a 690, and 230 just needs to pacify him till he gets his hands on one. Then this will become his backup/daughters bike
I have an FMF on mine.

Uni pod filter:
http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...tm?Click=35177

Can't remember what jetting is in there. Did have to adjust the fuel screw when I added the Uni pod filter.

Gearing I'm running 12-48 right now with an MT43 trial tire, 55 mph top speed. Very good technical gearing. Was running 15-48 with a 606, top speed about 75 mph.

For the forks, I went with CRF230F forks, they bolted right on and gave a bit more wheel travel. Also cartridge emulators and aftermarket springs are available for them. The forks I bought already had upgraded BBR springs in them. For the rear, I went with an '81-'82 XR200 shock. It is rebuildable, and has adjustable rebound. It is also longer than the stock shock. Both of these mods raised the bike and increased the wheel travel, I now have approx 12" of ground clearance and 8" of useable wheel travel. Had to remove the airbox to fit the reservoir. A 2 stage Uni pod filter replaced it. Also had to lengthen the kickstand. Night and day difference in how it handles...
stock shock on bottom, xr on top

Old 02-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

Awesome, just what i was looking for

Thanks
Old 02-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237

Alright, it's mine turn. My dad's bike is a 2008 crf230l, which I learned how to ride on when I was 14. I moved from that to my current KTM 125sx. Here's what I would recommend:
-De-smog, remove that ugly black thing at the front of the engine
-FMF Powercore 4, Powerbomb header, if you're not re-jetting it yourself, do it at the same time you remove the black thing so you only have to rejet once
-Go down tooth on the front sprocket, all you need. Any more is going to cripple your top speed, much more than you'd like
-Dual sport tire on the back, super aggressive on the front, maybe trials tires on the rear if you want some crazy grip
-Full wrap hand guards
-Skid plate, a good one with the "wings", not that crap the use for supercross
-I'm pretty sure that you could rip the Kickstart off of an xr200 and install. I once got stranded(without a phone or any way to contact someone after my battery killed over, I was to scrawny to pop the clutch), I posted the full story in "The Perfect Line" in that thread about "stuck, hurt or lost Lessons learned". Should still be on the front page
-Headlight guard
-Remove footpegs, and turn signals if your state does not require them(Texas doesn't).
-Powder coat the frame Honda red, black plastics from a crf230m, and stock graphics if you really want to look "Factory"
-Mirrors are a pain the ass, maybe some "double take"?

Also, the bike's primary advantage if the way it carries it 267lbs wet weight, it's a very low center of gravity.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:35 AM   #7
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

Hey Drabnor, can u post a pic of your bike. I'd like to see the stance with the upgraded suspenders
Old 05-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Drabnor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Hey Drabnor, can u post a pic of your bike. I'd like to see the stance with the upgraded suspenders
Let me see if I can find a decent picture...