User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
ry8762 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
2014 Ktm 690r Enduro Map and exhaust options

Well mine arrives next month but i dont know what to do about the exhaust and map, i have a wings end can off my old 2012 smcr and i want to put that on but there is no akro map yet or even tuneecu (not like i would have any idea how to use it but if that was the only option then i would learn it). Ktm have no idea when there will be a akro map or exhaust released so that is not a option.

I would like a power commander (which is now available) because its well known about the running/fueling/mapping "issues" regarding end cans on the 690 smcs and enduros which i have witnessed first hand with my smcr but a pc will just void the warranty outright so thats not a option either. There is also a Rapid bike unit but still the same applies.

So... can anyone tell me what will happen if i put my smcr 2012 wings end can on a 2014 enduro without mapping it? My local bike shop is CMC Chesterfield which has a dyno so i can take it there for a run, i know they wont be able to change anything on the bike but should they at least be able to tell me if its running to lean or if theres any harm being done?

If anyone can enlighten me with any info it will be much appreciated because that standard pipe just aint stayin!!!
ry8762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
gbx2001
Geophiz

Oddometer: 96
Since the motor in the 2014 KTM 690 R has been used in the 690 Duke for the last year (2013) or two, it might be worth checking out a few 690 Duke threads for feedback on what they have done for mods. I understand the 690R and 690 Dukes are very different bikes in many ways, but the 690 motor, ride by wire system, etc. should be very similar.

My understanding is the ECU is changed for the 2014 690 Enduro, so 2013 and earlier 690 Enduro maps will not be applicable. The 2013 & 2014 690 Duke threads I have read have all been very positive on the engine mapping (lots of power and excellent mileage) so re-mapping may not be necessary. The KTM Hardparts for 690 Dukes may provide some feedback on what works.

Not the answers you were looking for, but I hope some better informed folks can enlighten both of us, as I am seriously considering trading in my 990 Adventure for another 690 R.

Cheers.
gbx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
ry8762 OP
Adventurer

yes and from what i can gather but not to say im right... i dont think or neither can i find any maps available for the 2012/2013 duke r and there is none on tuneecu either, this is a quote i found that explains why (dont know how correct)

"quote"

"""""""Power Commander for 690 Duke 2012/13

if I unserstand this right, if throttle opening is max 20%. The mapping from throttle position 20% to max is written in the black box of the Duke. So "only" a Power Commander (or Kastl)can help here.

In Austria (Europe) we have a guy what is making the so called "Kastl" (means box or black box). http://www.ktmforum.eu/forum3/wbb/69...he/index3.html
With this Kastl Duke 690 has in the revs up to 6000 about 20 to 30% more power with open air box and Kastl. This guy found out, that the engine is running to lean if there is no Kastl build in.

Other maps thany the Standard map and a Akra map is not available for Duke 2012/13 here in Europe. The Akra map is not realy a change in power.

PowerCommander in combination with Auto Tune (Auto mapping) will perhaps make the perfect map for each individual bike""""""""""

Ktmtwins site quotes (Contradicting)

""""""""""""""We know the 2012 & 2013 KTM 690 Duke is a dreamy bike but that doesn't make it better than the previous years. Not when you have DynoJet on your side and their Power Commander. It gives you literally 3 years of research and production experience in one little magic box for tuners. This little box will allow the tuner to fine tune your fuel injection regardless of which exhaust, air filter or any other modification you may of done. It allows the tuner to build custom maps to compensate for different tracks or riding styles. This is what you need if you have a KTM 690 and want to go about making it better then stock. *NOTE: DOES NOT FIT 2012 & 2013 KTM 690 DUKE MODELS """"""""""""""

heres the link http://www.ktmtwins.com/dynojet-ktm-...er-commander-v

Power commander only list a unit for upto the 2010 duke but i have been in contact with dynojet and they tell me that there will be one for the 2014 enduro very soon, the unit will void the ktm warranty but i have just had a look at the installation guide and it looks quite easy so i wonder if its possible to remove the unit prior to returning for any services/work being carried out, i think that when the unit is removed the bike will return to normal/standard with there being no changes made to the ecu, what i do not know yet is if the ecu will log any evidence of the power commander.

would be good to hear from anyone with a power commander on a 690 duke smc/r or enduro to see how easy they are to remove and what the bike actually does when done???

im yet to do some more digging but please keep me informed if there is any developments you find out cheers!

ry8762 screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 06:32 PM
Old 02-09-2014, 05:57 AM   #4
auzzy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
2014 690 enduro

Hey guys I just got my 2014 690 enduro last night have you guys got yours yet? This thing is a rocket!
auzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Roadie
2-Wheels Rule

Oddometer: 157
We need pics!
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
pcv +autotune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry8762 View Post
would be good to hear from anyone with a power commander on a 690 duke smc/r or enduro to see how easy they are to remove and what the bike actually does when done???
My experience comes from a 990R, but the principle is the same. First of all, it does exactly what it says on the box and it works impressively well. To fit, you intercept the plugs from the stock ecu to the injector(s) and the HT coils. You have to delete also the signal from the stock lamda and you do that either by unticking it from tuneEcu or by plugging a terminator plug to the harness, thus fooling the stock ecu that stock lamda is still there.
I cannot see how the stock ecu could ever know that PCV is there...not possible IMHO.
I recommend these gadgets to anybody who likes fiddling with their bike and don't want to pay visits to dyno experts.
It turns the road to your personal dyno and adjusts on the spot in much more realistic load conditions.
In our case, we took a stock 990R, we installed acrapovic exhausts without db killers and deleted the airbox in favour of a very 'open' ITG foam filter. I never experienced before such a nice working FI on any bike. The only input required from the users point of view is to set good target AFR values for the autotune module, depending on requirements. There is also a rather trivial strategy in respect to the training procedure, but anybody can actually do it.

If you want anymore info, you are very welcome to ask.

mousitsas screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 11:06 PM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Goonist
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Talking

Sorry for the multi month late reply but just found this and thought I'd let you guys know that I've been running the power commander on my 2012 enduro since new as I couldn't wait to put an fmf on it and so far all smiles for 7500 miles!
Goonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
New exhaust in on the 2014. Wings.

Sounds good, looks good, 10 lbs lighter.

Fits great.

Pics and info http://therosshallproject.blogspot.com/

EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #9
AMa.
Topographer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry8762 View Post

So... can anyone tell me what will happen if i put my smcr 2012 wings end can on a 2014 enduro without mapping it?
Your bike will make more noise, it will turn to illegal and you won't get a single horsepower more.

Wings dealer Gorazd Marovic said that you can run it with stock map if you have either of the dB-killers onboard.

KTM 690 R 2012
AMa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:16 AM   #10
ry8762 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMa. View Post
Your bike will make more noise, it will turn to illegal and you won't get a single horsepower more.

Wings dealer Gorazd Marovic said that you can run it with stock map if you have either of the dB-killers onboard.
It messed it up with the open air box but semt to be better without it, my dealer told me my warranty would void if I kept it on seen as its not what ktm "recommend" so I now have akro n header

ry8762 screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 02:28 AM
Old 06-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMD View Post
New exhaust in on the 2014. Wings.

Sounds good, looks good, 10 lbs lighter.

Fits great.

Pics and info http://therosshallproject.blogspot.com/

Was this just a simple plug and play?
Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteone View Post
Was this just a simple plug and play?
Yep simple plug and play. Sounds great, about same loudness as stock (maybe quieter even), much lighter, and looks better.

And half the price of akrapovic.
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
sprocket3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Any other options by now

Has anyone figured out a simple solution to map the 2014 690 yet?

I just put a Wings on the bike and I had hopes it would help reduce the engine temps, but it seems about the same. Anything above 70 degrees F and below 40 MPH has the engine at about 7-9 on the temp gauge (about 80% of max)

A friend has a 2012 that was re-mapped +(filter and muffler) and he felt it greatly reduced his engine temps.

Mine does run fine, but it seems like it might be on the lean side and I was considering a RR air filter next. I just hate to run this thing so hot all the time.
sprocket3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #14
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,275
The euro map for the Akrapovic system really helps....
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #15
sprocket3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
The euro map for the Akrapovic system really helps....
Can you load those on the 2014 though?
sprocket3 is online now   Reply With Quote