User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Ilbikes OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Best Bike for Slow Scrambles and Technicals

Guys, I have really enjoyed my Dual Sport riding over the last 12 months. My best friend and I bought 2013 650's last year - his a XR650L and mine a DR650. Both are excellent choices for mixed road/dirt riding with gear. We've done several weekend camps and lodge stays up in the Tellico Plains and Deals Gap area using Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge as base camp. We also did 5 days of the TAT as a gear trial.

Lloyd (dirtylloyd here) and I both made the decision during an IMS show we attended last year. We've been riding and restoring antique/vintage motorcycles for years - belonging to the same club VJMC. A group of 5 of us take 4 days twice a year to do the Deals Gap, Maggie Valley, Hot Springs areas on our modern bikes too. In 2012, Lloyd and I hit the road for 16 days travelling through Hurricane Issac then on to Grand Canyon, Bryce, Antelope, Zion, Devil's Backbone, and finally Pike's Peak. Awesome trip! 104 degrees to 23 degrees in the same adventure, plus all the clothing and gear to handle those extremes. That's another story -
http://www.rrrtoolsolutions.com/adventures.html

Anyway, what I need some help with is picking a 2nd off-road bike. I love my DR650, but it's heavy and not geared for the tight stuff. I want a 2nd bike that will let me do some "slow" technical riding and enjoy some serious in-woods riding. I'm 56 and 240 lbs, I'm slow and I want something that will let me enjoy the more technical aspects of off-roading. Is a Suzuki RMZ450 the right bike? A WR250, a 450? I've never ridden one of these, but I want agility - not flat-out speed. I've got several street bikes that fill that need. My skill level off-road is probably intermediate and likely not going to ever get past that - Not getting hurt is high on my list, so no doubles or triples for me, no acrobatics, no motocross -

Inputs appreciated. Thanks, Gordon/RTS
Ilbikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,923
Trials bike of some sort? Ossa Explorer maybe? Check out some of the threads in the Trials forum.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,133
modern trials bikes (last 25 years or so) don't have a seat.... pretty sure thats a deal killer for this purpose unless you can modify it (been thinking about that).

older trials bikes can be fun, but you know.... find one, fix one, find parts, etc. not that I'm against that.... I was still running a Bultaco Alpina up until a couple years ago.... decided it was finally time to get rid of the right side shifters

I think a modern 250 with the right sprockets is probably the way to go
Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
The Explorer has a seat. It is probably the best machine out there for tight, technical woods.

But, coming from a DR650... almost any modern 250 will work. Bikes like the CRF250X would be solid. I might pick a KTM 2T, though... 200 or even 125. Obviously 250lb 4T and 225lb 2T bikes abound - none are garbage, to my knowledge.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
yzedf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
http://www.ktm.com/us/freeride/freer...l#.UyO3Uie9KK0
yzedf is offline   Reply With Quote