ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #136
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
replaced my fuel pump with Cycleworks and Napa 3095 filter and it's been working real well for a few hundred miles on road (I'm not taking this thing into the boonies until I know I'm not going to have to leave it there!) Once it stalled and was low idling when it got pretty warm in stop and go traffic - even with the low temp fan switch. That was yesterday. Hoping it's not the FI system rearing its ugly head once again.

I did put my filter outside the tank in place of the quickconnect . Yesterday when I started it cold, there was a leak and I notice that the hose clamp was pretty loose at the filter inlet. Strange because I'm one of those guys that overtightens everything but maybe I was trying to be ginger with the rubber hoses. Maybe the hose clamp vibrted loose. I'll keep an eye on things.

that edelbrock filter that was suggested above being a 40micron screen is concerning. I would think a particle that big could block the injector. Maybe someone can verify? IMO the paper filter element shouldn't be an issue since the fuel flow rate is miniscule on these bikes compared to auto engines and the pressure diff is almost nothing. I suspect there's a chemical issue with the octane booster used in that case.

James, please PM me when those filter socks etc come in. Thanks for stocking those!
I agree, 40 micron is not good enough. KTM used to spec a 10 micron inline filter for their dirt bikes, now they revised it to 20.

A good compact filter many people are using on the Husabergs is the one from a Can-Am quad, #709000100.
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #137
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG
 
AustinJake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 3,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario GS View Post
Incidentally, the Napa 3095 appears to be for 1989-90 vehicles which were carbureted engines.

I'm curious about the reliability of the of the Cycleworks pumps as, you see posts where folks are now carrying a spare fuel pump on long-distance trips. Has anyone suffered problems or failure with the Cycleworks pump?

AustinJake - How has the Edelbrock 3029 filter worked out for you?
Carburated car systems run 10psi and EFI runs 43psi, I ran the Duralast version of the NAPA 3095 for 6000 miles but from 6000 to 9000 I started having problems. Cycling my system inside a clear plastic jug, the gas turned cloudy, like the filter was shedding.

My CAcycleWorks pump has almost 10,000 miles on it, and works great. The pumps are made in China and cost $7 wholesale, they are an easy decision to replace for the retailer.

I have about 200 miles on the Edelbrock, working very well, I will be looking for any and all solutiions to upgrade it versus going back to a paper filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
that edelbrock filter that was suggested above being a 40micron screen is concerning. I would think a particle that big could block the injector. Maybe someone can verify? IMO the paper filter element shouldn't be an issue since the fuel flow rate is miniscule on these bikes compared to auto engines and the pressure diff is almost nothing. I suspect there's a chemical issue with the octane booster used in that case.
The screen inside the Edelbrock looks to be upgradeable, I would love to find a 20 micron ready-fit screen to slip inside the alum housing, that would be the ideal.


I have a 400 mile off road weekend coming up in November, I'll report back, I usually ride sweep, so I eat alot of dust.
__________________
____________________________________
Get fit. Stay safe. Enjoy life. Learn something to help someone in need.

AustinJake screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 08:39 AM
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #138
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG
 
AustinJake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 3,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
A good compact filter many people are using on the Husabergs is the one from a Can-Am quad, #709000100.
This appears to be a part of an EFI system for the CanAms, I will see if I can find out if it is paper or metal inside.

__________________
____________________________________
Get fit. Stay safe. Enjoy life. Learn something to help someone in need.
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #139
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler
 
Ontario GS's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Peterborough, ON, CA
Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
The screen inside the Edelbrock looks to be upgradeable, I would love to find a 20 micron ready-fit screen to slip inside the alum housing, that would be the ideal.
AustinJake - Thanks for the response, what about contacting Edelbrock directly?

One thing I'm struggling with is aren't most fuel filters paper filters, if fact the the KTM filter appears to be paper. I'm going to cut open my old KTM filter and I may order another Napa 3095 and open it and compare the filter material.

Could it be additives that people are putting in their fuel that's destroying the filter or is it the dreaded ethanol that North America is adding to fuel?
__________________
John

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #140
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG
 
AustinJake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 3,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario GS View Post
AustinJake - Thanks for the response, what about contacting Edelbrock directly?

One thing I'm struggling with is aren't most fuel filters paper filters, if fact the the KTM filter appears to be paper. I'm going to cut open my old KTM filter and I may order another Napa 3095 and open it and compare the filter material.

Could it be additives that people are putting in their fuel that's destroying the filter or is it the dreaded ethanol that North America is adding to fuel?
I used the Duralast/NAPA/small metal body paper filter for 6000 miles with no apparent problems, then I just kept putting them in, one after another, bike would run for a while and then start sputtering/backfiring/popping etc, so I dont think it's the ethanol, it may have been the octane booster I started using, but I need to able to use that stuff, particularly in out of the way gas stops where regular is all that is available.
__________________
____________________________________
Get fit. Stay safe. Enjoy life. Learn something to help someone in need.
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #141
Uller
Beastly Adventurer
 
Uller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Arlington, WA
Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I agree, 40 micron is not good enough. KTM used to spec a 10 micron inline filter for their dirt bikes, now they revised it to 20.

A good compact filter many people are using on the Husabergs is the one from a Can-Am quad, #709000100.
LukasM,

I originally had the Can-Am quad filter. It is close to $18.00 and isn't an on the shelf part at dealers around here.

Bobzilla cross referenced the part number and came up with the Napa 3095. It is around $3 and has the same specs.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #142
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler
 
Ontario GS's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Peterborough, ON, CA
Oddometer: 389
Edelbrock Filter

I phoned Edelbrock's Tech Support today and they advised that the finest filter screen available is 40 microns. I questioned whether this would meet the particulate size a fuel injector would withstand and he advised it would be fine. I may phone KTM and pose the question to them or even a filter manufacturer if I have time.
__________________
John

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #143
off-road-biker
n00b
 
off-road-biker's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 3
@Uller

Would you please re-upload the missing pics from Post #96 again?
off-road-biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #144
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...
 
slidefighter's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by off-road-biker View Post
@uller

would you please re-upload the missing pics from post #96 again?
+1 please?
__________________
Slidefighter

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #145
Uller
Beastly Adventurer
 
Uller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Arlington, WA
Oddometer: 1,665
Crap, photobucket did it again......

Sorry, I didn't change or move anything. I'll try to get them posted back up this week some time.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #146
Velociraptor
TrackBum
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
This appears to be a part of an EFI system for the CanAms, I will see if I can find out if it is paper or metal inside.

Possibly already answered but I took an old one off my bike and cut it apart and it is a paper filter inside.
__________________
2014 KTM EXC 500
2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R
2009 KTM 690r Enduro SOLD
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #147
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,067
4 long and one short code.... already chged the fuel pump... w/ ca cycle pump...

failed last fall no codes, I'm sure someone has the video for that.. failed in my drive way a month or more ago setting the 4L1S code, chged the fuel pump... had a grnd failure a week ago, fixed that easily, then failed again yesterday 4L1S code again.... wtf........................

no sound from the fuel pump to be heard..........



ideas?
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #148
DirtJack OP
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
4 long and one short code.... already chged the fuel pump... w/ ca cycle pump...

failed last fall no codes, I'm sure someone has the video for that.. failed in my drive way a month or more ago setting the 4L1S code, chged the fuel pump... had a grnd failure a week ago, fixed that easily, then failed again yesterday 4L1S code again.... wtf........................

no sound from the fuel pump to be heard..........



ideas?
4 long and 1 short is "Fault/short-circuit in fuel pump control circuit". Since this has occurred with more than one fuel pump, it may be independent of the fuel pump itself. Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like one way a short could be detected is that the ECU is monitoring current flow in fuel pump power line for safety reasons. Another way is that the ECU contains a resettable circuit breaker. I would check wiring in the fuel tank for possibility of shorts. I would also check the continuity of the ground wire (black-blue) to a ground elsewhere on the wiring harness. Of course, it is possible that you have had a short in more than one fuel pump.
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #149
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
4 long and 1 short is "Fault/short-circuit in fuel pump control circuit". Since this has occurred with more than one fuel pump, it may be independent of the fuel pump itself. Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like one way a short could be detected is that the ECU is monitoring current flow in fuel pump power line for safety reasons. Another way is that the ECU contains a resettable circuit breaker. I would check wiring in the fuel tank for possibility of shorts. I would also check the continuity of the ground wire (black-blue) to a ground elsewhere on the wiring harness. Of course, it is possible that you have had a short in more than one fuel pump.

I pulled it all apart last night........

or it could be self abuse by ty wrapping the fpump wires too tight and the wires popping off the pump leaving me on the side of the highway... ..........

self abuse is just the best... no one else to blame... except the guy that was with me at the time, yep i'll blame him..

so, it is back together and running...

I did think that about the wires to the tank, i pulled the battery and tray to see if anything... I did find that that wire was pinched under the battery tray, but that wasn't the fault... it was a future fault though...

thanks to bk.rd.rnr and dirtjack for their input on possible causes... this place would be a pile of blah blah if it wasn't for people like you guys trying to help people you never met...

thanks again
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #150
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler
 
Ontario GS's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Peterborough, ON, CA
Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
it could be self abuse by ty wrapping the fpump wires too tight and the wires popping off the pump leaving me on the side of the highway... ..........
Sean

When I wrap tied my wires I happened to notice that it pulled the connectors almost apart at the pump. Cut the ties off, crimped the connectors tighter & started again. All seems fine since.
__________________
John

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014