Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #151
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario GS View Post
Sean

When I wrap tied my wires I happened to notice that it pulled the connectors almost apart at the pump. Cut the ties off, crimped the connectors tighter & started again. All seems fine since.
hey John....

I'd realy love to have a conversation with the engineer who designed the fuel system on these bikes.. the spade connection seems very fragile on a dirtbike. I did pinch the connection to make it tighter, but really,, why would anyone need to do that, this day and age of technology... a sound system speaker has a better connection.... and it doesn't go bouncing through the trails...

a tiny spade tip,, in a pain in the ass spot,, holding your bike together to run... seems way wrong to me...

oh well... plan to ride for the rest of the week to work... it will be fine.. right? how many miles do you need to put in, on the road,, before the trust comes back?..... dirt riding, out of the question for now!
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #152
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_Rider View Post
Hi:

I have a doubt

What happens if the fuel pump dies in the middle of nowhere, without phone signal and without people in hundred miles away?

Exists some "home made" repair on site to survive and return to civilization?

Thanks!
your choices are
1. change to a better pump and filter while you have the chance
2. wish you had changed the pump and filter when you had the chance

:o
Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #153
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by milzispete View Post
your choices are
1. change to a better pump and filter while you have the chance
2. wish you had changed the pump and filter when you had the chance

:o
A lot of us carry an extra pump on the bike and the tools to install it. I have never had a pump failure on my bike. I still installed the CA Cycleworks pump just to be safe.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #154
DirtJack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
A lot of us carry an extra pump on the bike and the tools to install it. I have never had a pump failure on my bike. I still installed the CA Cycleworks pump just to be safe.
+1. Doesn't take much extra space/weight. I think of it as insurance (things you're prepared for never happen). My original pump never left me stranded. It slowed me down, but always restarted after waiting a variable length of time. CA Cycleworks pump has been ultra reliable now for thousands of miles.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #155
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Fuel Pump Install

To make this a little easier and bring it to the top, I'm going to quote myself and edit the original How-To. As I had mentioned before, I have changed how I am doing things since I wrote the original one and the pictures I have been asked to add back aren't really a good representation of that.

I tried to find the pictures in both my computer and hard drive though and can't seem to find them. (Oh, and I have to apologize to Photobucket. The didn't loose my pics. These ones were at Dropshots)

Sorry Guys. Next time I have to go inside the tank (should be a while though....) I'll take new pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I have now changed my exact setup due to trial and error and things I have read from others. See Below as I am going to leave the basic procedure alone****

I was going through the bike and got to the fuel filter replacement. Once I got in there and took off the stock clamps I couldn’t: a) find new clamps the correct size, b) find clamps which didn’t require a special tool which I also won’t have with me if I were out riding…

Secondly, I had read of fuel line kinking (I think the trick though is to curl the hose as it is inserted into the tank which essentially coils it up instead of allowing it to kink.) and I didn’t want to deal with this issue myself.
So, I sent Bobzilla a PM and asked for a little advice and this is what I came up with.

All part are available from Napa Auto and were available right then and there except the hose. (I had to special order the hose from another store but it was there the next day. If I wanted to drive 30 miles I could have had it right away).

Parts:
(4) 11mm to 13mm hose clamps (the 13mm to 15mm are a little easier to get on)
(2) 13 to 15 mm hose clamps (used for larger line connecting to regulator & intake assembly)
(1) Package of H209 5/16” x 1’ Submersible Fuel Line Hose

Procedure:
Take off the seat, plastic, air intake (don’t forget the sensor on the bottom), fuel line, lower tank bolt and then tip up the rear subframe/tank for access. I had the shock out too. This probably made access easier.

Take out the Four screws holding the fuel pump housing in and drain the tank. I found a five gallon bucket sat on the swingarm and caught all the gas. Just let the pump sit there and don’t remove all the way. Go to the backside of the tank and remove the four screws holding the regulator assembly.

Now, here is the hard part for those faint of heart. Pull out the pump and disconnect the electrical line and just cut the fuel hose. Pull out the regulator and pump and set on the bench.

I then carefully cleaned around both openings of the tank to get them ready for the reinstallation.

Per Bobzilla's recommendation I wired the pump housing together with stainless safety wire. I just stuck it through the cup cap tab opening and then through the cap itself. There isn't much room on the side of the housing and the opening into the tank so, turn the wire in toward the center of the pump.

At first I tried to put the pump straight into the tank and I would get about half of the housing in and it wouldn't want to go any further. This is when I remembered the twist in the stock hose and I turned it 180 degrees toward the regulator. This was also in the natural twist of the hose. The pump slid in like it was made to be in its assembled location and not out of the tank.

I turned the bike on and allowed the pump to cycle a couple times prior to starting. Then I disconnected the fuel hose quick disconnect and let the air pressure escape and get the fuel to the injector. It fired up like it hadn't sat for a minute. All in all, I am pretty stoked to have this worked out as well as it did. All the parts are available over the counter from Napa now we just need to find a pump from them too and we will be all set.......

Update:

My aftermarket, proactive approach to keeping the pump operating properly consists of:
- a Profill Australia Filter Sock in the opening of the fuel tank.
- attached to the pump is another Profill Australia bag w/ the foam filler to hold the volume.

(If you get the CA Cycleworks pump it comes with a very similar design of filter sock. Warning though. Mine was too tight of a fit to get on the pump and if I used it I would have had to carefully enlarged the opening of the filter with the proper sized drill bit)

- I have removed the filter from the tank entirely and located it in place of the plastic quick disconnect that has already broken on me.
- I have drilled many additional holes in the pump holder to aid in fuel transfer and cooling.
- I had an extra length of submersible hose so I connected it to the return line that now goes to the pickup cup.
- I am running the CA Cycleworks fuel pump (have stock for spare). - I then have the Can-Am fuel filter installed in place of the quick disconnect.

The Fuel Filters that are known to work (these are all essentially the same filter according to specs of each:
- Can-Am Filter (Part #:709-000-100) Expensive though. $18
- Napa 3095 steel body, 10 micron , 60 psi rated, (Bobzilla) ~ $3+
- Wix 33095 (The Letter J)

I cut my 12" of submersible line into two sections, 9" and 3". In pic below, on the right, is the 3" hose connected to remaining 5" of return line that I left on the regulator before. What you see in this pic is the fuel line connected to the regulator and the return line which is also connected to the regulator inside the tank. Just attach to the pump and cup and reinsert the fuel pump assemble back inside the tank. Remember to use anti-seize on the bolts.

Pic of Profill Filter Bag on pump

Holes drilled in pump "cup" to aid in fuel transfer and cooling at low fuel levels. I cleaned up and deburred the holes later....The safety wire goes through the rectangle holes on the sides of the cup and through the holes on top.

Stock vs. Original CA Cycleworks Pump (the new one has barbs on the inlet

Uller screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 07:10 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #156
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,490
The wiki could be updated

No worries if not.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #157
COracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
HELP! 690 FI Issues

Bought my bike with 1,200 miles on it, replaced fuel pump in first 400 miles I had it with CA Cycleworks pump to remedy stalling issues. OE pump would do the restart after waiting a while, but I wanted the bike to run right all the time and not leave me stranded.

Installed Napa filter with CA Cycleworks pump, also Rally Raid gas cap and did a full cannisterectomy. Rode for 1,200 miles without issues then one day the bike died on the trail and would not start even after hours and had to be towed home. Few days later go to the garage to diagnose, fires right up. Loaded new FI maps per the Bartron thread, I ride for a few miles and all seems better than ever, no spitting, surging or stalling. Next day bike won't fire, fuel pump does not prime when key is on. Took tank apart and checked connections, pump still doesn't prime at all.

Replacing with a Felco pump this week, has anyone else had this many issues with their 690 FI? I have little trust in it now which really ruins the ride for me. Could it be the pressure regulator or the ECU? I haven't drilled the holes in the pump housing yet to keep it cooler, am I missing anything else?

KTM 690R Yamaha YZ450 sumo
COracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #158
COracer
Adventurer

Sorry, forgot also TuneECU shows a code P1231, open short to ground for the fuel pump...cleared code and still no pump operation and it sets code again immediately.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #159
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
The wiki could be updated

No worries if not.
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #160
DirtJack OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COracer View Post
Sorry, forgot also TuneECU shows a code P1231, open short to ground for the fuel pump...cleared code and still no pump operation and it sets code again immediately.
Sounds like a short somewhere in the fuel pump power circuit.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 09-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #161
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,745
Or injector no workie

Old 09-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #162
Quij95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Has KTM remedied this issue with the newer models? If so, does anyone know what the solution is or is not?
Quij95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #163
DirtJack OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COracer View Post

Replacing with a Felco pump this week,
Felco pump?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 09-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #164
COracer
Adventurer

Ugh

Update...

Tore it all down and the fuel pump was dead, didn't spin freely so I assume it seized up due to heat. Drained tank and it had some particles in it, some might have been dust from Moab still, some looked like metal from the pump. Didn't scrub out the tank just drained it, thinking now that might have been a mistake. Might tear it down again and make sure all the crap is out of it, but it ran good for a 300 mile loop Monday after a full day of wrenching Sunday.

Drilled some holes in the plastic fuel pickup shroud to let more fuel get to the pump as shown previously. Safety wired the plastic pre-filter onto the pump as it seemed pretty loose to even do any good, wish I could source one of those socks someone else used somewhere. (also recommend safety wiring the quick connects too as they are really weak and I had them come apart before leaving me on the side of the road) Replaced pump with a Felco one as it was only $40, and the CA Cycleworks one only lasted 1,200 miles for $130. The Felco actually comes with a really nice fabric pre filter, but of course it won't fit due to the goofy design of the pump housing. Also replaced fuel filter with a clear one so I can see what it looks like and if there is a bunch of crap in there.

Wondering about a couple possible causes, maybe a bad pressure regulator putting too much stress on the pump? Also I cleaned the injector again and some more crap came out, so I might need to get it professionally cleaned or maybe just replace it, could this be a cause of pump failure or more a symptom of it?

So this is my third pump in 3,000 miles, third filter, 4th injector cleaning. Replaced gas cap with Rally Raid one to keep crap out, and removed cannister. oil and filters changed with Motorex, air filter cleaned, chain lubed, I take care of the bike pretty religiously and yet I rode my '98 XR250 many times the past two months because the KTM was sick.

I really like the 690, most fun and versatile bike I have owned, but at this point it has been far and away more unreliable than anything else I have owned including race bikes.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #165
COracer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Felco pump?
Made in China same as CA Cycleworks, as mentioned really like the screens but they can't be used on the 690. Dislike the short and non-barbed connection to the line, I used a heavy duty clamp and safety wired it to the housing to be more secure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intank-3...item416f36a2d6