Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #226
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
I wrote a comment on their page, hope it helps.....
Good luck&greetz, Hans.
thnx!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #227
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnsfxr View Post
I commented on the page. I also emailed and commented on Yamaha's page quite awhile back. I gave up waiting and got a DR650SE for my retirement wanderings.
thnx!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #228
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnsfxr View Post
My multi line dealer is upset with Yamaha because they have nothing to sell in the thumper open class and are losing sales to other brands. Every one knows the 660 is offered in Europe in different configurations.

The XT1200Z they got is still sitting on the floor

I did see where you can get an aftermarket bench seat for the Thumper Tenere which it needs if you have enough inseam.
push your dealer and they'll push their rep.
that's how it works.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #229
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 965
Good to see this thread with a bit of life.

At this point I'm hoping Yamaha is working on a replacement 660, maybe a 700?? Maybe that new bike will be available in the USA?!

At least the 660 is in Mexico
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #230
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
Good to see this thread with a bit of life.

At this point I'm hoping Yamaha is working on a replacement 660, maybe a 700?? Maybe that new bike will be available in the USA?!

At least the 660 is in Mexico
700 raptor atv engine?
yeah it's crazy to think the bike is now on it's 5th year (2008) and still a no show.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #231
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,817
I'm all about variety and would like to see the little Tenere here in the states. I'm also clueless why anybody would actually buy one. They look nice and all but they are not cheap and lack much in the way of performance.

For what they will cost you could build a real nice DR or XRL and have $$ left over for a extended trip. There's also the Serato for those wanting to upscale. And finally, there's the 690R that with a seat, windscreen, and bags will do everything the XT can with a fantastic suspension and close to 70 bhp.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #232
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
I'm all about variety and would like to see the little Tenere here in the states. I'm also clueless why anybody would actually buy one. They look nice and all but they are not cheap and lack much in the way of performance.

For what they will cost you could build a real nice DR or XRL and have $$ left over for a extended trip. There's also the Serato for those wanting to upscale. And finally, there's the 690R that with a seat, windscreen, and bags will do everything the XT can with a fantastic suspension and close to 70 bhp.
Not to undervalue your thoughts.....maybe it's not the bike for you? I DO NOT mean that in a negative way. I believe that people seeking this bike WANT SIMPLE. It's hard to describe as everyone has a different opinion on what "IS" a good dual sport/ADV/dirt bike. The 660Z encompasses what I believe is missing from our market, something manufactures don't seem to get....and that is a complete SIMPLE bike with wide effective use. Not to start a debate about why this bike is better or worse then the others, I'll focus on what is special about it to me. Yes your right, any and all the bikes listed are fanatic, I wouldn't fault anyone for their choice of bikes because riding is the reason first and foremost.

The baby Teny has many things combined that our current market is missing. To me the Sertao and a KLR are the closest bikes to it (set aside price as we REALLY DON'T KNOW what it would ultimately cost in the US). The 660Z sits directly in the middle of the BMW and the Kawi. What I mean is the has the load carrying capacity and sturdy frame of the BMW, a big gas tank of the Kawi, all day comfort of either bike, excellent ground clearance (best of both bikes), and a super low maintenance motor that is relativly fuel efficient, and the looks to go with it. It's the combination, the simplicity and effectiveness that the 660 excels!! I know theres room for much debate but the real debate should focus on choice and not having this bike in the USA seems odd and mismanaged.

The ultimate oddity is, why can't someone build a less than 350lbs, strong frame, 5 gallon of gas, 60mpg good looking bike with ground clearance?? IT SIMPLY DOESN'T EXIST!!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #233
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post

i'd call it an upscale Japanese 650 dual-sport bike.
many desire Japanese machines and want something beyond the DR, KLR & XRL.

the Sertao is upscale in price but in reality is an old design just carried forward. you call those forks upscale??? i like the Sertao but BMW could have atleast updated the suspension vrs just the visuals.

yes the KTM rocks but once again many do not desire what KTM ownership brings to the table.

found this elsewhere:

eakins screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 01:54 AM
Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #234
eakins
Butler Maps

i've now had 3 Yamaha reps throw out aprox $8500 so there is some kind of dialog going on w/ in the company...in fact for the regional reps a good bit of dialog.

Quote:
Not to undervalue your thoughts.....maybe it's not the bike for you? I DO NOT mean that in a negative way. I believe that people seeking this bike WANT SIMPLE. It's hard to describe as everyone has a different opinion on what "IS" a good dual sport/ADV/dirt bike. The 660Z encompasses what I believe is missing from our market, something manufactures don't seem to get....and that is a complete SIMPLE bike with wide effective use. Not to start a debate about why this bike is better or worse then the others, I'll focus on what is special about it to me. Yes your right, any and all the bikes listed are fanatic, I wouldn't fault anyone for their choice of bikes because riding is the reason first and foremost.

The baby Teny has many things combined that our current market is missing. To me the Sertao and a KLR are the closest bikes to it (set aside price as we REALLY DON'T KNOW what it would ultimately cost in the US). The 660Z sits directly in the middle of the BMW and the Kawi. What I mean is the has the load carrying capacity and sturdy frame of the BMW, a big gas tank of the Kawi, all day comfort of either bike, excellent ground clearance (best of both bikes), and a super low maintenance motor that is relativly fuel efficient, and the looks to go with it. It's the combination, the simplicity and effectiveness that the 660 excels!! I know theres room for much debate but the real debate should focus on choice and not having this bike in the USA seems odd and mismanaged.

The ultimate oddity is, why can't someone build a less than 350lbs, strong frame, 5 gallon of gas, 60mpg good looking bike with ground clearance?? IT SIMPLY DOESN'T EXIST!!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #235
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,977
Quote:
.... missing from our market, something manufactures don't seem to get....and that is a complete SIMPLE bike with wide effective use. ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''IT SIMPLY DOESN'T EXIST!!

XR 600 with e-start and a 6 speed.

XR650L with kick start and a 6 speed.

Better forks and shocks for both bikes.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #236
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
I know there is the DR the KLR or the XR - ( I have a XR400 and had a DR650 and love the basic feel of them) - but is it wrong to want something that isn't running on a design that is 20 years old
( ok the KLR did a face lift ).

Yeah, you can get the KTM but that means having to read the 100's of blog pages hoping you got all the gotchas ( yeah the KLR has the doohickie issue ) - I had a '04 950 Adv and had the fuel pump, fuel tank vapor lock, rear break failure, hydraulic clutch, water pump etc . . . blues

Like I said – is it wrong to want a bike that has reliable engine, sweet large fuel tank that can do over 200 miles, nice on and off road manners, actually comes with a nice seat that I don’t have to go right out and buy a $300 after market saddle ( not saying I wouldn’t in the future ) and something that can carry luggage without having to brace the sub-frame – and looks killer
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #237
Drtyfun
Here and There

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
calling all Facebookers
please respond hard to this post i started on Cycle World's page.
http://www.facebook.com/cycleworld?ref=ts&filter=2
they've used their pull before and could do it again...
Done, hope they listen sometime soon.
Drtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #238
docsherlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Brilliant bike - would fly out of the dealers at $8500.

Sertao does not compare - test rode one the other day and it's the biggest heap of shit I've ever ridden - the Yam is much, much better in every way. Maybe the Sertao is more economical but that would be it.

Yamaha are really shooting themselves in the foot by not selling it in North America.
docsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #239
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??

Ah......here we go again, the ADVrider debate club comes out. All the superstars, none sponsored pro's.......oh brother.

Yup, you guys are all right/correct/knowwhat your talking about. Those are great bikes, no doubt.....just not for everyone. I could go on about seat hieght, no F.I., lack of HWY slab comfort, no six speed, 80's technology.....but it's not important.

This is a XT660Z thread right?! We're concerned with getting Yamaha to bring this bike to the U.S., the bike debate is out back. Troll away with your ego to another thread, it's not welcome here.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #240
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Well said. If you want to debate the bike go to another thread. Please read the OP > bring the XT660 to the USA, not XT660 versus BMW 650, KTM 690 etc.

Here's a link to Yamaha USA's facebook page. I could not find a post on Cycle Worlds Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/yamahamotorusa

Quite honestly I don't care if it is the XT660Z or a WR450R. We need a big dual sport that is street legal in the USA.

Thanks, J
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!

protondecay123 screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 06:43 PM
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote