Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #106
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,217
Just out of curiosity, is the Tenere available in Canada or Mexico?

Having options is great, but I'm sure Yamaha doesn't want to bring in bikes to give you more options, they would only want to bring it if it'll sell and make them money. Signing a petition and then saying it's just so you can put it on your 'maybe' list probably isn't very convincing.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #107
SprintSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Signed, #255. Great looking bike. The price makes it unobtainable for the common man though. The hype and good looks will keep used prices high forever. Maybe in 10 years a used one will be obtainable for me. But I cant get one 10 years from now if its not available in the USA soon.
SprintSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #108
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Does anyone know if Yamaha actually makes this bike?

Actual Yamaha Motors Corp in Japan.

I'm curious.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #109
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
As of last winter the bike is made in Italy, thus presenting some of the problems of bringing here, Euro vs Dollar. I don't see Yamaha bringing here if the Super Ten doesn't do exeptionally well. If the Super Ten sells more than expected than this bike is a possibility, but considering the KLR doesn't sell in real high numbers, I wouldn't bet on it. Not trying to be a nay sayer, just realistic. It is a great off road bike. How many come with a tow hook?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #110
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
I signed the petition and it would be great to see more options available for a mid-weight dual sport, looks like a great bike. As far as all the trolls...well this site seems to be full of them so nothing new there.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #111
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Never going to happen.

Bigger chance of getting a detuned, street legal, 450 out of them.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #112
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
I seriously doubt it, but according Brummbar on the other page that has one, he paid 7,500 Euro - that's $9,886.50 according to Google today.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=79

Not sure if that's retail, or OTD and I don't know how they come up with MSRP, or what they'd ask for one here, but I really don't think she'll sell well at 10k unless you're a die hard fanatic (and it sounds like we have a few) - but apparently Yamaha doesn't either, as they haven't decided to import yet.

Again, I'm not saying it's a bad bike - it looks like a great bike... just not a value in my eyes. I wish the value part didn't matter to me - but it does, and to a vast majority of buyers.
The Euro price does include tax (19% VAT in mainland Europe), and is almost certainly out the door, as the on-the-road costs have to be included in the final sticker price (in the UK at least)...

I agree the bike is significantly more money than a KLR, but then you do get a lot more (believe me, don't make me spell it out again, please x) - the main problem has been currency fluctuations - to give you an example, when I bought one in Summer 2008, it cost me 4,600 out the door (the rrp was 4,900 but I got a small discount).

The same bike on the shop floor today is 6,600 rrp in the UK. There are still deals to be had around 5,900 if you shop around on bikes in dealer stock, but I agree Yamaha have gone banana's with their pricing over the last 18 months...

It doesn't help that the Tenere (along with their R6 for example) is actually built/assembled in Europe, so there are costs that cannot be so easily absorbed from the Japanese factory to keep things competitive.

I'm not sure where the XT1200Z Super Tenere is built, but it is clear that Yamaha have priced that bike aggressively in the US in an effort to obtain market share?

Regardless of the cost, and what it might cost if it ever comes to the US, it really is a very competent all-round 'adventure' bike... I took one solo all over the US in 2008/09 - 23,000 miles in six months - the desert southwest, the TAT, slickrock in Moab, the Rubicon, then coast to coast and back again, all weathers - sun, rain, snow - from Death Valley to Pikes Peak, the Colorado passes, Oregon to Florida... North Carolina to California... bog stock, with just a set of hand guards fitted and some soft luggage.

I's say it is perfect for long distance DS riding in the USA, in fact I was so impressed with it as a stock bike, it's why I used it as a basis for the rally bike last year...

I really hope you guys get the chance to try one!

Toot toot!

Jx

ps. Ragin Rabbi - it's held in South America these days - you fool! x
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #113
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,217
Ok - so open a factory in Mexico to build multiple models including the Tenere, keep tight Quality Control, and sell the Tenere in the states for ~7 grand.

I'm in.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #114
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad View Post
its obvious you do not like this bike and are a KTM snob which is fine so just move along now
Whoa...chill out boys.... you got a linchin mob a stirred up there .....go figure......and I have never said I don't like this bike!

Its the red necks that have assumed that cos the're so red neck they cant take any other opinion other than their own. (fanatical as one inmate called it) And by the way my first post was in responce to the (repeated) forum question of why lots of people arn't signing up....maybe cos its not that good....and it aint! but so what?

if you like it that much whats stoppin ya importin one yaself ...especially if its not about the cash? but hey ya never know ya luck.....maybe santa will bring ya one for Xmas

Merry Christmas inmates....I'll do your bidding and leave yas to your own opinions ..... hope your able to drum up some more signatories

love ya work
Speed Daddy

......oh an isn't WP owned by KTM ?

Night Falcon screwed with this post 12-21-2010 at 10:10 PM
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #115
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 372
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Just out of curiosity, is the Tenere available in Canada or Mexico?

Having options is great, but I'm sure Yamaha doesn't want to bring in bikes to give you more options, they would only want to bring it if it'll sell and make them money. Signing a petition and then saying it's just so you can put it on your 'maybe' list probably isn't very convincing.
No the Tenere is not available in Canada nor was the Africa Twin,TransAlp 87-88 only. I am sure the new Triumph will get a lot of attention as its about the only really new Adventure bike available to us next year. Good on Triumph for noticing how many KTMs and BMW adventure bikes are being sold in Canada(In the West anyways)
Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #116
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy View Post
Whoa...chill out boys.... you got a linchin mob a stirred up there .....go figure......and I have never said I don't like this bike!

Its the red necks that have assumed that cos the're so red neck they cant take any other opinion other than their own. (fanatical as one inmate called it) And by the way my first post was in responce to the (repeated) forum question of why lots of people arn't signing up....maybe cos its not that good....and it aint! but so what?

if you like it that much whats stoppin ya importin one yaself ...especially if its not about the cash? but hey ya never know ya luck.....maybe santa will bring ya one for Xmas

Merry Christmas inmates....I'll do your bidding and leave yas to your own opinions ..... hope your able to drum up some more signatories

love ya work
Speed Daddy

......oh an isn't WP owned by KTM ?
just sign the petition and save yourself from the lynch mob
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #117
BigSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
To all the nay sayers..
There was food and enough local ADVers to be a Meet and Greet at Moon Mtrs Super Tenere unveiling.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...09666&page=312

Our country was founded by radicals with guns. The day that ideal dies our country dies with it.
BigSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #118
BigSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Looks like it might have a chance after all.

Our country was founded by radicals with guns. The day that ideal dies our country dies with it.
BigSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:32 AM   #119
Whiskytoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
I tried searching but know luck. How does the Tenere compare to the xr650l?
Whiskytoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:56 AM   #120
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskytoast View Post
I tried searching but know luck. How does the Tenere compare to the xr650l?
Again, like with the KLR, it is a far more modern alternative...

Compared to the XR, it has better ergos, screen, modern instruments, 23L tank (as stock), EFi, twin disc front brakes, much stronger rear subframe (it is actually part of the mainframe, not a bolt on) for luggage and pillion etc. simple maintenance and long service intervals...

I've ridden an XR600, and still have an XR400 and love it as a trail bike (and have even traveled to Spain and Morocco on it), but it is still essentially an old-school dirt bike like the XR560L, with a few concessions.

The Tenere is still just as capable off-road, but is far easier and more comfortable to live with day to day too.

There is a reason the Tenere costs more than an XRL/DR650 etc. it's because it has a lot more stuff as standard, and really is ready to go out of the box* - it's not just Yamaha being greedy!

Jx

*Check the other threads and ride reports on here and other forums like XT660.com to see where people have taken the 660 Tenere (round the world, mongolia, south america, africa etc etc) - and also how little trouble they had with the bike while they were doing it... that says a lot more about the bike than a few numbers in a brochure? If you actually want to travel off-road, I'd say it is the best new bike out there at the moment...
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote