thanks for the info and the link jmo
Whiskytoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #122
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Again, like with the KLR, it is a far more modern alternative...

Compared to the XR, it has better ergos, screen, modern instruments, 23L tank (as stock), EFi, twin disc front brakes, much stronger rear subframe (it is actually part of the mainframe, not a bolt on) for luggage and pillion etc. simple maintenance and long service intervals...

I've ridden an XR600, and still have an XR400 and love it as a trail bike (and have even traveled to Spain and Morocco on it), but it is still essentially an old-school dirt bike like the XR560L, with a few concessions.

The Tenere is still just as capable off-road, but is far easier and more comfortable to live with day to day too.

There is a reason the Tenere costs more than an XRL/DR650 etc. it's because it has a lot more stuff as standard, and really is ready to go out of the box* - it's not just Yamaha being greedy!

Jx

*Check the other threads and ride reports on here and other forums like XT660.com to see where people have taken the 660 Tenere (round the world, mongolia, south america, africa etc etc) - and also how little trouble they had with the bike while they were doing it... that says a lot more about the bike than a few numbers in a brochure? If you actually want to travel off-road, I'd say it is the best new bike out there at the moment...
all good points about the 660 Tenere and one should expect to pay a little more for the quality and reliability of this fine machine and if one wants to be cheap there is always the KLR which is a good bike in its own right.

mr openroad screwed with this post 12-28-2010 at 02:35 PM
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #123
tireloe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
626 the number of the beast!!! Oh wait. #262
tireloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #124
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireloe View Post
626 the number of the beast!!! Oh wait. #262
Mr witty is dat you?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #125
mr openroad
Target Fixated

bump!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #126
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
OK, signed the petition. Would I buy the bike, not sure. But I want to support the movement to offer a greater range of bikes here in the USA. We miss out on a lot of good bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
Again, when I spoke to the local Yamaha dealer they said the XT660 would end up costing to much to bring to the states.

Now, I don't understand this but then I am not a business expert either.
Unfortunately the USA has a whole stack of requirements to legally bring in a vehicle for sale here. Getting a vehicle certified for emissions, DOT safety etc, costs a bunch of coin. That doesn't take into account the various currency exchange rate and international shipping issues. Consequently they have to expect a sizable REAL sales volume to justify the upfront costs to bring the bike in and hopefully realize a profit on the whole deal.

After Yamaha experienced a sales flop with the TDM850 they are understandably gun shy about repeating this exercise. Other adventure bikes that came in "before their time" such as Honda's Transalp didn't sell well either. The US buying public has been slow to get on board with the adventure bike concept, I know it didn't appeal to me until fairly recently either. I do think things are changing here so maybe this time around they might succeed with this model if it comes in at a reasonable price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
I too had a DR 650 and it was great bike. Wish Suzuki would make a dual sport version of the RMX450Z and bring the dual sport technology into this century. But people still buy the DRZ400 so I guess they have no motivation to upgrade.

I think this is the direction many of us would like things to go. I REALLY wish Suzuki would sell a road legal RMZ540Z like KTM & Husky does for their bikes. People still buy the DRZ400 because that's what is available street legal out the door. I personally will not buy any motorcycle that does not come with a license plate anymore thanks to the current policies in affect throughout the riding areas where I live.

I believe that if manufacturers were to offer something with a spec sheet similar to a Husky 630 in proper USABLE Adventure Bike trim they would move off the showroom floor briskly. I don't think it will be cheap, technology costs, so "we" will need to prepared to pony up if they offer it. Otherwise....... we'll be riding bikes like the KLR for the rest of time.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #127
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 648
Signed!
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #128
snorske
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
signed. Much more appealing to do a South America trip with the 660 than the heavy Super 1200.

Can anyone comment on real world MPG?
snorske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #129
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorske View Post
signed. Much more appealing to do a South America trip with the 660 than the heavy Super 1200.

Can anyone comment on real world MPG?
I'd say as an approximation, around 50 miles to a US gallon (3.98 litres).

Based on the consumption I got while in the US - I would reckon on around 200 miles before reserve, which comes on very early btw. and equalled about 16.5 litres out of the 23 litre tank (sorry, it's easier to use litres for the math as US vs UK gallons are different x) - you still have almost a third of a tank left once the bike is on reserve!

Basically unless you are hammering at 80+mph on the highway, you should comfortably see 250-270 miles from a tankful.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #130
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207

I better go get some pie!
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #131
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
It will only let you sign it once.
I tried a second time but reminded me I was number 122.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #132
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #133
KC-10ENG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I talked at length with the guys at the Yamaha tent at the Moto GP a couple of weeks ago about the XT660. I think they are almost sick of people asking them about it but they are listening....I think. I also told them that I would have loved to have a Yamaha in the garage instead I have a KTM 690!
KC-10ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #134
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,040
YOU GUYS AND GALS ARE THE BEST!!! Thanks for keeping this thread alive!!

I hope Yamaha does get an earful from people about the XT660 because if not the XT660 than maybe a newer, similar, well traveled alternative?! NAAAAH........Just bring the bloody Tenere to the USA!!

A year or so ago the petition had well under 100 names. In the time since it's clear that people are starting to understand.....hopefully someone at Yamaha will too. I'm still holding my breath and putting away a few more dollars towards a Tenny. Keep the dream alive!! Facebook them, call them and email them........don't let them forget!
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #135
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
I was in Sydney Australia 3 summers ago for 2 weeks and there was a yamaha dealer across the street from my hotel.The dealer had 1 in stock-a very nice bike not needing much to make it ready to travel.Yamaha Australia shows 2 variations-an xt660r and a xtz660 tenere.specs show them as kind of heavy .until then i will stick with my plated honda xr650r-its about 30% aftermarkit parts and would just need an e-start to make me happy
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote