User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
Bradkap OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Klim in the heat

In the heat, how hot will you wear your klim gear ?
Bradkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Jhall1957
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Might wanna narrow the focus a bit! A lot of options with Klim! Rally Air is VERY cool$
Jhall1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 414
Hot is hot. For me, you need an insulating layer in the heat just as you would in the cold. You want that hot air and direct sun light to be off your skin if possible. I have a Badlands and Induction jackets, not a ton of experience with either, but for short trips under an hour I really like the Induction. Longer than that I prefer the Badlands. For reference, it has been 110 degrees for the high where I live lately. So I know hot. I envy you guys who have a high of 85 degrees in the summer, but the trade off is I can ride in the winter too.

That being said, I really like the light weight feel and fit of the Induction. If Klim ever makes a version of it that isn't mesh I'd probably buy it.

If I know I'm going purely off road I will dress in my MX/Trail gear just as I would if I were trucking my dirt bike to a given location and riding from there. I could see maybe using the Induction for some light off road, but nothing that would be sustained slow moving.

For both jackets I use the Klim Mojave pants.

ben
Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Klim Badlands kit over LDcomfort, 700 miles last August lowest temp 96F highest 106F. All good while moving just wet down the LDcomfort every 2 hours or so and zip up all the vents except back and open the wrist cuff.

Last weekend same get up same process down around St. George UT in 108F. All good.

Stopped SUCKED though as it would no matter what you are wearing.
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradkap View Post
In the heat, how hot will you wear your klim gear ?
115° Fahrenheit. All the vents open. It sucked. Do I need to elaborate?
Old 06-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,720
Rode technical trails in Moab in my latitude in 90degree heat and it was fine. On the road I'd say it would be fine. Anything over 95 is a blast furnace anyway
Old 06-16-2014, 04:42 AM   #7
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,632
I have all kinds of KLIM jackets and pants------in really hot weather---especially humid I won't wear any of it . Much prefer a pressure suit (any brand)----and throw a gortex shell over it if the weather turns nasty. I have several gortex shell jackets---in the KLIM brand I have the "Traverse"-----just a shell---no insulation. That's what I wear up top.

A pressure suit is the only way to ride protected and as cool as can be. You may still hot in it---but not as hot as a jacket.

As for pants---I wear KLIM mojave's in hot weather-----and if the weather turns awful----I'll change to my KLIM traverse pants---or sometimes put a rain pant over the mojave's.

I'm always traveling long distance---maybe a month or so. So in hot weather I find it impossible to wear a bulky armored weather proof vented jacket of any kind. If it gets real hot-----you'lldie in it--------and you can't take if off cause you'll be un-protected---and you can't pack it-------it's too bulky.

So that's why I go the pressure suit and vented pants when it's hot.

Cool and cold----------a whole nuther' story.
BigDog

With a shell and KLIM Dakar pants in Baja.

Just wearing the pressure suit--again---in Baja
This is the minimum I wear when it's hot.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 04:51 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 765
I have an older latitude suit and it sucks in the heat. Very few vents. Im looking into possibly getting the cooling jackets that drag racers use that have water tubes all over it. All depends on price and how practical it is. Otherwise I just keep ice cold water in my camelbak and that does the trick for me.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Spent the weekend in 90+ with intermittent thunderstorms (some of which were a bad idea to be in) with 90%+ humidity. My badlands was comfortable. As Anthony from revzilla would say "it's going to depend on your temperature tolerance."

I leave the house at 77 when it gets warm out, and I've spent my entire life in hot humid areas. Experiences may vary
Xan13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
ShoelessJoe
DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan13x View Post
Spent the weekend in 90+ with intermittent thunderstorms (some of which were a bad idea to be in) with 90%+ humidity. My badlands was comfortable. As Anthony from revzilla would say "it's going to depend on your temperature tolerance."

I leave the house at 77 when it gets warm out, and I've spent my entire life in hot humid areas. Experiences may vary
I have to agree with Anthony, it really depends on your temperature tolerance. I had a badlands, that vents very well , but it is heavy. I now have a latitude misiano, that does not vent as well, but seems much cooler due to lighter weight.

Personally I found I'm much cooler in a vented jacket that is loose on my skin than I am with a pressure suit on.

Unfortunately I did not figure out all of this until I had thrown some money at the problem.
ShoelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Latitude jacket...........78F max! That's why I sold it.
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
I have an older latitude suit and it sucks in the heat. Very few vents. Im looking into possibly getting the cooling jackets that drag racers use that have water tubes all over it. All depends on price and how practical it is. Otherwise I just keep ice cold water in my camelbak and that does the trick for me.
Look at the Veskimo. I bought one of their vests and they works great! It's an ice water cooled vest of the same design.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #13
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Badlands-year round, every day. Nothing really is cool here in South Carolina in the summer when temps are 90 degF/90% humidity

I have 2 mesh jackets are they really do no better the the Badlands with all the venting open-I even think the Badlands may be a bit cooler since it is blocking most of the direct sunlight.

For "riding" and not commuting it helps with your pick of wicking baselayers to help keep you cool. I have a UnderArmor compression HOT longsleeve shirt that actually is chilly when I walk into an airconditioned building.

My commuting is a based on (1) the ride into work is cooler and the sun is usually low so not direct so the vent open of the Badlands is adequate to keep me sweat free in my work attire but (2) the ride home in the 90/90 weather is "I don't care" because I'm going home and will change out of my sweaty wet clothes as soon as I walk into my 72 degF airconditioned house!

I even gear up in my office before walking out the door to the parking lot to keep the sweat down - otherwise I've had a hard time putting on my gloves.
a2ronm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
Interstate90
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures View Post
I have all kinds of KLIM jackets and pants------in really hot weather---especially humid I won't wear any of it . Much prefer a pressure suit (any brand)----and throw a gortex shell over it if the weather turns nasty. I have several gortex shell jackets---in the KLIM brand I have the "Traverse"-----just a shell---no insulation. That's what I wear up top.

A pressure suit is the only way to ride protected and as cool as can be. You may still hot in it---but not as hot as a jacket.

As for pants---I wear KLIM mojave's in hot weather-----and if the weather turns awful----I'll change to my KLIM traverse pants---or sometimes put a rain pant over the mojave's.

I'm always traveling long distance---maybe a month or so. So in hot weather I find it impossible to wear a bulky armored weather proof vented jacket of any kind. If it gets real hot-----you'lldie in it--------and you can't take if off cause you'll be un-protected---and you can't pack it-------it's too bulky.

So that's why I go the pressure suit and vented pants when it's hot.

Cool and cold----------a whole nuther' story.
BigDog

With a shell and KLIM Dakar pants in Baja.

Just wearing the pressure suit--again---in Baja
This is the minimum I wear when it's hot.

What pressure suit do you use?
Interstate90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #15
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Klim Dakar pants for me, with BMW airshell jacket...pants work well with vents open, got the silver, I prefer lighter color gear, black gets hot...
Import is online now   Reply With Quote