User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 05:00 AM   #1
Penderic OP
Format C:/u

Oddometer: 80
Cheap, Distinctive, Very Loud Horn

I just installed a set of these horns in place of my stock horns.

Wow! They are very loud. I think these are the loudest non-air horns I have had, and I have had a few. The stock horns on motorcycles are so all typical and disappointing!

These horns use a controller that pulses each horn together or can be set to one of several patterns. I was looking for something that would sound like the old British police cars .... Beeeee Baaa Beeeee Baa. This will do that! The sound gets attention!

Sound sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_vxo7gs_PM

I painted them black, and I also used a relay to activate the horns trigger (uses ground to trigger) rather than the bikes normal 12 volt line to trigger the horn circuit.

The new horns had filmsy terminals which I replaced with better ones and resoldered all the connectors.

They dont stick out much and look fine on the bike, and sound so good! Love em!
Penderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
XICAQUE
Q' pedo?

Oddometer: 585
Can you add a b4 and after audio sample?

LRMC sucks ASS!

Can't stand HD bikes! Loud POSs and nothing but posers.
XICAQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,811
Where did you buy the horn?
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Penderic OP

I will try to find an example of the wimpy stock horn sound online and post that later. Nothing special about them. meep meep.

I will post the utube link again to a sound test of them... watch them bounce when activated!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_vxo7gs_PM

The Magic 10 or Magic 18 special horns can be ordered online: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171011276709...A:3160&vxp=mtr

Cost me only 12 bucks for the pair and 7 to ship!..... cheap gamble that paid off for me. Unique pattern and LOUD! I really like them.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
XICAQUE
Q' pedo?

Dude!

That horn is the shit! I need to get one now. Awesome!!

Thanks for the links!

LRMC sucks ASS!

Old 06-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
photomike
Top-notch MoFo

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penderic View Post
I will try to find an example of the wimpy stock horn sound online and post that later. Nothing special about them. meep meep.

I will post the utube link again to a sound test of them... watch them bounce when activated!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_vxo7gs_PM

The Magic 10 or Magic 18 special horns can be ordered online: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171011276709...A:3160&vxp=mtr

Cost me only 12 bucks for the pair and 7 to ship!..... cheap gamble that paid off for me. Unique pattern and LOUD! I really like them.
it seems in the video that the horn sounds fade the longer it's on? Is that correct? they do sound loud for sure! Also how easy is the switch to operate the changing of the tone? Id Probably leave it on the one I like best but how fast of a sequence do you need to press it before it changes?
photomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
bman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Those 10 dollar chrome ones Harbour Freight sells are pretty dam loud too.
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
Penderic OP

No No No. I have bought lots of horns - Fiamm, Bosch, blasters, trumpets, discs, air horns... lots. None of them compare to these! (Air horns are louder but are bulky and wont swap into the same stock horn location) These horns are freaking awesome! But they operate only through the controller unit - I tried hooking the horn units up directly to a battery .. didn't work at all just a "clunk clunk" and then I tired hooking up the controller backwards, the 410 hz interchanged with the 510 hz horn unit, and they barely worked. BUT, hooked up correctly using the controller, "BLAM! BLAM!" Wow! They are super loud! I got a pain in the center of my skull! Horns that hurt. I love em!

I really don't understand how the little controller unit can do that. Magic?

Anyways, a tap on the horn button results with both horns blaring together, full volume, that dies steadily to zero in about 1 or 1 seconds.

They will stay blaring steadily at full volume as long as you hold down the horn button. To change to an alternating horn pattern, tap the horn button 3 times in a row - within 2 seconds, and the horns honk alternately with a different pattern. Hi Low Low Hi Low Low and more. Easy to do.

The volume of the alternating horns dies out after 1 or 1 seconds after you release the horn button.

The selected pattern is stored in memory that is retained as long as the power line is on. I measured 20 milliamp during idle draw. I have a 20amp fuse in the powered line.

Turning off the power line the horns default to the first setting: both horns on- steady.

I have a battery tender, no problem for me, but I might be worried if the bike is sitting for more than a few weeks. I can change the power hookup easily at my Fuzebox if it becomes a problem. I'm Ok with the default steady setting.

You also don't want to use these for gently reminding pedestrians and others of your presence on the bike. I think I need another horn - a gentle horn for other occasions!

Penderic screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 10:35 AM
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
XICAQUE
Q' pedo?

Mine is on its way after I posted my comment above. Can't wait to install this sucker!

LRMC sucks ASS!

Old 06-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #10
Penderic OP

I am certain you will love them!

I don't understand why the stock horn versions the motorcycle manufacturers use are so wimpy. Not only wimpy but mismatched. The stock pair that came with my bike sound awful together - discordant?

I really like the frequencies that my new horns use.

I remember some of the car horns on the big old luxury cars had super loud electric horns that sounded quite good - I had a musician friend with a 74 Lincoln Mk4 that had 5 horns! He hooked each horn to a relay and could play each separately and he could play a lot of tunes on it!

And a relative once drove a Buick LaSabre that had a couple of diesel locomotive train horns under the hood! It was sweet! .... and loud!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
XICAQUE
Q' pedo?

That is a loud sucker for sure!! I love trains and those horns can sure blast you away!

I am eager to get this horn installed on my 2014 GSAW for sure! I also own a KLR and I agree with you and the weak horns on the motorcycles. I might install this horn on the KLR first and see how it goes. Don't really want to mess with the BMW yet as it has the CANBUS and I am not too familiar with BMWs...

LRMC sucks ASS!

Old 08-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #12
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 579
Just found this thread. Just ordered the horns! Thanks for the tip Penderic!
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penderic View Post
I just installed a set of these horns in place of my stock horns.

Saw your post, watched the first 15secs of the video and bought a set 'cause they were so cheap (< $20 shipped).

They're nice and loud, great for the freeway, but when I use them going through town, guys come running out of construction sites looking for the Taco truck!
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Am I understanding your youtube video correctly? Right at the beginning you hit the horn and they blasted like a good horn should, then about a second into the blast they changed to a warble. If that is something they do inherently, that's great!
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #15
XICAQUE
Q' pedo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
Saw your post, watched the first 15secs of the video and bought a set 'cause they were so cheap (< $20 shipped).

They're nice and loud, great for the freeway, but when I use them going through town, guys come running out of construction sites looking for the Taco truck!
that is fucked up! :loll

I have to hook mine up to the KLR. I might get another set for the '14 GSA

LRMC sucks ASS!