Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #556
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Ok, thanks.

I had an Alps Mountaineering 1.0 Triton but found it a bit too close to a bivy style as it was tight on room and then with the front entry I had to climb in or out over any small amount of gear I had stored in the small vestibule area.

I then up-sized in the same model line to a 1.5. A nice increase in room and better, it had two side entry vestibules.

Then, I think I have stopped here, I upgraded to the MH tent that has even more room and is free standing, the Alps are not. It has the two side entries and larger vestibules and is just the minute amount lighter than the Alps Mystique 1.5.
Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #557
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Small tent recommendations??

Needs to be a good quality tent that packs small( including poles), is light, and sets up really easy. I saw my buddy had an MSR Hubba Bubba tent this past weekend...set up in minutes.

Hopefully under the $200 range.

What do you think??
I went to REI outlet and found some great buys on discontinued tents and equipment-Might try there
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #558
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
Quote:

Needs to be a good quality tent that packs small( including poles), is light, and sets up really easy. I saw my buddy had an MSR Hubba Bubba tent this past weekend...set up in minutes.

What do you think??
FWIW, I've got a great tent - MSR Velo - that does everything well, but it mostly has stayed home since I discovered hammocks nearly four years ago - especially in summer months!

No need for sleeping pad until nights are chillier than 50 or so. Pack small and dry quickly. Best sleep I've had camping by far.

YRMV
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #559
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
FWIW, I've got a great tent - MSR Velo - that does everything well, but it mostly has stayed home since I discovered hammocks nearly four years ago - especially in summer months!

No need for sleeping pad until nights are chillier than 50 or so. Pack small and dry quickly. Best sleep I've had camping by far.

YRMV
That is funny cause I bought a Hennessy Hammock and although I like it, I think a small and light tent is more versatile for my camping needs. I am probably going to sell it to pay for the new tent.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #560
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,203
My problem with hammocks is They aren't so useful in arid climates like Big Bend etc.

My vote is MLD Trailstar or Duomid. I know a couple of people real happy with Golite Shangra La 1's too.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #561
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,201
Quote:

What do you think??
+1 for the Hubba Hubba.

Easy up/down. Room for gear. Bone dry.

Fits in a Sea to Summit XS dry compression bag (less poles).

May be a bit higher than the $200 range but you may get it close with discounts/coupons or used.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #562
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
+1 for the Hubba Hubba.

Easy up/down. Room for gear. Bone dry.

Fits in a Sea to Summit XS dry compression bag (less poles).

May be a bit higher than the $200 range but you may get it close with discounts/coupons or used.

i'm going either with the Hubba Hubba or the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2.

both are the same pack size, roughly the same weight, and roughly the same space (Big Agnes has a larger vestibule).

Big Agnes is cheaper too. hmmmmmmm....

the reason i would go with these tents is that they are freestanding. i've been in Death Valley on hardpack with my freestanding REI tent and did fine in the 60MPH winds but my buddy had a small tent that needed to be staked and in the morning it had fallen over and his rain fly was 100 feet away in the brush.
this same camping trip is why i wouldn't go with a tarp and bug net. and i am from Washington State and i know i wouldn't last in a downpour with a tarp.

and some of the shelters i've seen require a hiking pole of some sort to keep the shelter up.

i plan on looking into shortening the pole lengths so they break down under the 20 - 21 inches that most freestanding tents have.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #563
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
i'm going either with the Hubba Hubba or the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2....

...i plan on looking into shortening the pole lengths so they break down under the 20 - 21 inches that most freestanding tents have.
My Hubba Hubba poles pack down to 17" long.

Tent was wind tested on the point at Meat Cove. Held up just fine. Apparently, they've lost more than one off of there.

I should add that I also believe I can set the rain fly up first and snap the tent onto the poles in the dry. I know I can with my Mutha Hubba. Keeps things dry when setting up in the rain.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #564
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

When camping off the bike I prefer the flick lock trekking pole from walmart. If I take it apart it fits in the pannier and can easily be replaced. This also leaves my good poles safe and at home but the quality of the walmart flick lock poles seems to be pretty good. He hardware seems on par with Black Diamond poles.

A shaped tarp will keep you as dry as anything but many shaped tarps have a mesh inner to make it a double wall if you're concerned about bugs and critters. I've had a poncho tarp in some pretty rough wind and rain in the Chisos. When in doubt tie it to rocks and such.

I'd be scared of a free standing tent because it might blow off when I get up to go I'm the middle of the night. That'd be real awkward.

Anyway, big bike and little kit on Columbine Pass in CO last week.

Edit: if anyone is interested in how short the disassembled poles are I can measure one. Oh and from all I've read and heard the MSR tents are first class if you don't mind the extra weight and bulk so I'm sure you'd be happy with one but the draw backs to the simpler shelters aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #565
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
When camping off the bike I prefer the flick lock trekking pole from walmart. If I take it apart it fits in the pannier and can easily be replaced. This also leaves my good poles safe and at home but the quality of the walmart flick lock poles seems to be pretty good. He hardware seems on par with Black Diamond poles.

A shaped tarp will keep you as dry as anything but many shaped tarps have a mesh inner to make it a double wall if you're concerned about bugs and critters. I've had a poncho tarp in some pretty rough wind and rain in the Chisos. When in doubt tie it to rocks and such.

I'd be scared of a free standing tent because it might blow off when I get up to go I'm the middle of the night. That'd be real awkward.

Anyway, big bike and little kit on Columbine Pass in CO last week.

Edit: if anyone is interested in how short the disassembled poles are I can measure one. Oh and from all I've read and heard the MSR tents are first class if you don't mind the extra weight and bulk so I'm sure you'd be happy with one but the draw backs to the simpler shelters aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.

what's THAT bike doing on this thread?!?!?!?!
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #566
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
I'd be scared of a free standing tent because it might blow off when I get up to go I'm the middle of the night.
Just because you use a free standing tent doesn't mean it's not staked down. In fact I can't imagine a time where I didn't use some stakes. Mine even has several places for extra guidelines, and yes, I've had to put them to use.

What I do like being able to do is pitch it sans rainfly so I can enjoy the spectacle overhead free of bugs.
IBA #201

INTERNATIONAL TAXI DRIVER REPORTING FOR DUTY.
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #567
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
what's THAT bike doing on this thread?!?!?!?!
HAHAH I know right? I was riding it home from buying it. My whole kit was in the right pannier.

Quote:
Just because you use a free standing tent doesn't mean it's not staked down. In fact I can't imagine a time where I didn't use some stakes. Mine even has several places for extra guidelines, and yes, I've had to put them to use.

What I do like being able to do is pitch it sans rainfly so I can enjoy the spectacle overhead free of bugs.
I have no clue why I didn't think of staking the free standing tent down. I guess it's just seeing to many vids of idiots just plopping them down and them blowing away. Like I said, or alluded to, I haven't actually used one. They're just to heavy for backpacking IMO and that's what my kit is primarily for.

Anyway, the Duomid and Trailstar inner tents can be pitched separately too and one is definitely on my list of things to buy this year for the exact reason you state. I'd like that a lot instead of using my tiny bug net when it's needed.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #568
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
So, what have most you fine folks used for cutting wood once at camp? I try to dry camp at the least or find a place where no one has camped-Wood is plentiful where I live and ride, but many times much too big for a fire.
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #569
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,816
We usually camp on state land/parks, so we do not cut anything down. We'll run into town and buy one of those log bundles. Usually lasts all night, on that nights fire, no problem.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #570
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
So, what have most you fine folks used for cutting wood once at camp? I try to dry camp at the least or find a place where no one has camped-Wood is plentiful where I live and ride, but many times much too big for a fire.
I carry a stove but if I want a fire I gather downed wood. Once it's going if some of the wood is to long you can just put one end in and slowly work it in as it burns or lay it across and burn it in half. I carry an Esee Izula for making tinder and getting the fire going.

If you're going the axe route consider the repercussions of messing up and hitting your leg or something with it in a remote area, take the appropriate safety precautions, and think before you swing. Personally if I were to carry more I'd just carry a bigger knife.