Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #571
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
So, what have most you fine folks used for cutting wood once at camp? I try to dry camp at the least or find a place where no one has camped-Wood is plentiful where I live and ride, but many times much too big for a fire.
Sorry, I should have been more specific-Its a HUGE no-no to cut anything down but there is plenty of fuel laying around, but as I said much of it is too big for a fire, so I was thinking some kind of hand saw but an axe takes waaaay too much time and energy. Also, there have been times when riding where a smallish tree was blocking the way so something would have been handy....
2004 KTM 200 EXC

mtbdemon screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 09:56 AM
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #572
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific-Its a HUGE no-no to cut anything down but there is plenty of fuel laying around, but as I said much of it is too big for a fire, so I was thinking some kind of hand say as an axe takes waaaay too much time and energy. Also, there have been times when riding where a smallish tree was blocking the way so something would have been handy....
I like to keep paracord on the bike. One potential use is to tie off to tree and bike and pull but I can see how a folding saw could be useful. The folding saw is a good route to go IMO but I don't think it's necessary for fire wood.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #573
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,517
Saws:
This saw in a can is small and comes in handy. http://campingsurvival.com/pochsawofacu.html
I carry one but with it being small most the time I don't have a clue as to where it is most of the time. They do work pretty good though and if you have a partner it makes quick easy work of sawing through a small long. With one person it works too but it's always nice to have help.

These saws look like would work well for on a bike: Wyoming saw http://www.wyomingknife.com/saws.htm

Folding saws work well. One of my friends carries one in her boot where it is handy and doesn't take space on the bike. This one looks interesting but I have no idea if it's a good one: http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-G...e-Saw-6036.htm

Hatchet:
I've often carried a hatchet (about 15" long). It fits in the bottom of my side bag have recently been looking for something smaller. This one is on my wish list: http://www.rei.com/product/824226/ge...ator-combo-axe but since my finances are limited I'll probably get this instead: http://www.coghlans.com/products/pack-axe-1160

Tent?
For years I have been in search for the perfect tent but so far I haven't found it. My priorities are: Easy to set up (pole clips rather than sleeves). Enough room for me and my gear and with a enough head room I can change clothes in it, 2-3 person sized. Light and packs small. Inexpensive, I can't justify spending over $200 for a tent even though I know I would get that much enjoyment out of the right one. Actually I'd even be hard pressed at spending over $100. I know I'm dreaming to think I will get what I want without spending a ton of money.

Recently I have been thinking about having custom tent poles made for one of the tents I already have. The long poles are part of the packing problem. What I'm thinking is if I get poles made that fold out to the same length but are in shorter sections they would be easier to pack on the bike. Any thoughts about this idea?

Packing light has never been my forte and I'm trying to learn to do this. When I camp I don't want to be miserable so I want to be able to have the things I need to make my camping comfortable but yet able to carry on my bike. I keep reading the threads focusing on packing light for ideas to get me where I want to be but there are still things I haven't figured out.

Oh yeah, the other dream is finding a camp chair which so far I haven't had any luck with. I'm dreaming again with wanting something light & that folds up small. I like how the Monarch chair packs up and it is comfortable when sitting in it but getting in and out of it wasn't easy for me. When trying it out at REI I crashed trying to get my fat ass out of it. I'm sure I looked like a beached whale flopping around on the floor fighting with the chair. When I'm in camp I don't kick back and stay put for long I have a habit of getting up and down so a chair that is easy to get in and out of is a priority. A back on a chair is nice but not essential for me so a stool would even be good.

My goal is to get my DR200 set up for a two week camping trip sometime in the future. I've had long camping trips on it in the past but I want to lighten the load.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #574
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
The Alite Monarch chair is tricky to get the hang of. I used it this past weekend and was very happy with it. I found that if you put the legs a little back, you can sit in it as a chair with a back. if you put the legs directly underneath you, you can use it as a stool. I did exactly that while I was cooking.

I did fall back out of it once, while trying to get into it one handed...my hotdogs were in my other hand. I was able to fall gracefully back, and still keep the hotdogs in tact on the plate. I was even able to get right back up before any of my buddies could get the camera out, to capture my legs flailing in the air. And this was with out alcohol.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #575
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
HI have no clue why I didn't think of staking the free standing tent down. I guess it's just seeing to many vids of idiots just plopping them down and them blowing away.
I once got into the habit of putting in the poles and erecting the tent before I staked it down. Then came the day the wind came up - I held the poles on the upwind side, waiting for the gust to die down. Except that it didn't! I stood there flying my tent like a kite for 5 minutes or so until one of my friends noticed and came over to help.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #576
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Tent suggestion

Look at the REI Half Dome 2 Plus. Seems to fit most of what you are looking for, with the exception of short poles. They are 21", which drove me from a small to a medium Wolfman Expedition Duffel. I paid $150, but that was on sale. They are having a big sale over Labor Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Tent?
For years I have been in search for the perfect tent but so far I haven't found it. My priorities are: Easy to set up (pole clips rather than sleeves). Enough room for me and my gear and with a enough head room I can change clothes in it, 2-3 person sized. Light and packs small. Inexpensive, I can't justify spending over $200 for a tent even though I know I would get that much enjoyment out of the right one. Actually I'd even be hard pressed at spending over $100. I know I'm dreaming to think I will get what I want without spending a ton of money.

Recently I have been thinking about having custom tent poles made for one of the tents I already have. The long poles are part of the packing problem. What I'm thinking is if I get poles made that fold out to the same length but are in shorter sections they would be easier to pack on the bike. Any thoughts about this idea?
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #577
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
this subject comes up also when people are trying to pack into panniers - the tent pole segments are too long to fit inside the panniers.

http://www.polesforyou.com/ is what you're looking for. they can replace your poles with ones any section length that you request.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #578
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
this subject comes up also when people are trying to pack into panniers - the tent pole segments are too long to fit inside the panniers.

http://www.polesforyou.com/ is what you're looking for. they can replace your poles with ones any section length that you request.

thank you!!!

i was JUST talking to the REI dude about this, and he recommended these guys.

this is what i will be doing.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #579
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post
Look at the REI Half Dome 2 Plus. Seems to fit most of what you are looking for, with the exception of short poles. They are 21", which drove me from a small to a medium Wolfman Expedition Duffel. I paid $150, but that was on sale. They are having a big sale over Labor Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post

Thank you both. This might just be the perfect solution for me and knowing REI has a sale coming up helps. At least if I buy at tent at REI if I don't like it I can return it and get my money back.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #580
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
compression sacks??? what do you like(brand)?? and why?
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #581
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I currently use the eVent compression sacks and like them a lot.

I would also like to see the,
Waterproof Compression Bag
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped...E?openframeset

I would like to see how well the side compression system works as I have often thought of longer and skinnier is better than the short ball like size that the eVent bags end up to be.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 AM   #582
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
I currently use the eVent compression sacks and like them a lot.

I would also like to see the,
Waterproof Compression Bag
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped...E?openframeset

I would like to see how well the side compression system works as I have often thought of longer and skinnier is better than the short ball like size that the eVent bags end up to be.
I've solved this by going down a size or two with the same EVent Sea to Summit compression bags. Instead of trying to fit a 'volley ball' in my pannier it is more of a cylinder/tube.

Multiple smaller bags seem easier to pack than one larger ball shaped bag. Plus, I can definitely get maximum compression. YMMV.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #583
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 539
tent

I have the Half Dome 2 (no Plus). Very satisfied; as long as the vents are open & the extra 2 guide lines are set when using the fly. Held up great in heavy rain last night & I stayed dry. Get the footprint & a tube of seam sealer & that duct tape like stuff for repairing holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #584
motoxer667
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I am using Kelty, because it was one of the first ones I saw in person. One of the things I do like about them is that the material is not real heavy compared to one I bought off the internet.

I am also, using a Mountain Hardware LightPath 2 tent. It packs small and is not too heavy. Plenty of room for gear too.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #585
nimrod
Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer: 597
Vaughan Supersportsman Sub Zero Axe - an 8 oz. pocket hatchet that works very well - $20.00
"Betweem two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -Mae West
nimrod is online now   Reply With Quote