Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #646
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessian42 View Post
Here is one for the Hammock guys. What do you do when it's poring rain and there is nothing around you can hang your hammock from? Keep moving until I find a place. Find a fence post, one tree or telephone pole and hook the other end over your bike,

I have a eureka backcountry 1 man tent which weighs in at 4lbs with aluminum poles and fly.

This is my "go to" outfit.

I also have my proffered shelter/sleep system which is a Eno hammock, fly, bug net and slap straps which together also weigh 4lbs. i can cut it to 3lbs minus the bugnet and slap straps but i hate mosquitos and am a tree hugger.

it's always a struggle to choose which system to bring. more often than not i want to bring both but that's 8lbs of shelter!!

This is my "just in case" shelter. Smaller than my hammock set up and packs about as small as my rain fly.

So it hasn't happened yet but the thought occurred what happens if i have to tarp it on the floor from lack of suspension points for my hammock and it's poring rain non stop. This has happened even when it isn't raining. This is the only situation i can think of that would screw me with the hammock, as for the tent in the other hand well when was the last time you ran out of floor?!

would love some opinions on the matter.

My only other problem is if you have to go to the ground, dry or wet, unless you have brought an additional sleeping pad ( more room and weight) your sleeping on the cold, hard and possibly wet Mother Earth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,which SUCKS!

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #647
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessian42 View Post
Here is one for the Hammock guys. What do you do when it's poring rain and there is nothing around you can hang your hammock from?

I have a eureka backcountry 1 man tent which weighs in at 4lbs with aluminum poles and fly.

I also have my proffered shelter/sleep system which is a Eno hammock, fly, bug net and slap straps which together also weigh 4lbs. i can cut it to 3lbs minus the bugnet and slap straps but i hate mosquitos and am a tree hugger.

it's always a struggle to choose which system to bring. more often than not i want to bring both but that's 8lbs of shelter!!

So it hasn't happened yet but the thought occurred what happens if i have to tarp it on the floor from lack of suspension points for my hammock and it's poring rain non stop. This is the only situation i can think of that would screw me with the hammock, as for the tent in the other hand well when was the last time you ran out of floor?!

would love some opinions on the matter.
On my recent 45-day, 631-mile canoe trip with my two golden retrievers I was unfortunate enough to have to sleep in my back-up Eureka 1-man tent two nights and on the ground with no tent another night due to lack of places to hang the hammock. But I'll tell you I also found lots of creative ways to hang a hammock! The big problem I had with carrying the tent as a backup wasn't the size or weight of the packed tent (it was small and light), but it necessitated also carrying a sleeping pad that was unnecessary for the hammock.

Fortunately with a motorcycle in the Eastern USA I have always been able to find trees to hang the hammock. The times on the canoe trip were due to being stuck in "designated" camping areas where I was stuck since I couldn't just crank up the canoe and ride to the next campsite.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #648
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
What do you do when it's poring rain and there is nothing around you can hang your hammock from?
Get a hotel. I carry a footprint from my 3 man MEC tent, I use it for a bike cover most nights or I can use it for a footprint under my hammock on the ground, it's smaller than the fly. I've never had trouble finding a spot to hang though.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #649
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMC View Post
Out of fuel
Question about those little stove fuel bottles - can you fill them OK at the gas pump? 3/4 liter isn't much and fuel comes out really fast. I'm afraid I'll over-fill them and spew gas everywhere. I bought 3 one liter bottles on sale for less than $4 each, but haven't yet tried to fill them at the gas station.
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #650
skipro3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
South Fork of the Payette River on Oxbow Bend;

I use a 2 man tent, my riding buddy uses a mosquito netting sorta thing. We head out every year for at least 2 weeks with under 70 pounds worth of gear including all food and 2 days of water.

Two of the best items to have along you might not think to take;
1. A vinyl coated cloth to use at the threshold of the tent to keep from tracking things in. Works great to stand on while changing clothes and anywhere you need to protect something.
2. A Shamwow. Seriously, that thing is worth it's weight in gold. When packing up after a rain, it will pull more water off a tent, rain fly, sleeping bag, bike seat, etc. than you could imagine.

I got this chair because it is very light an mesh, so it drains well. I sat in it under a tree for two days along the John Day River when it wouldn't stop raining. The best things about a short chair are;
1. Very close to ground so you can use the earth for a table top; making dinner, etc.
2. Easy to tend a fire for a couple days while waiting out bad weather sitting that close to the earth.
skipro3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #651
DCMC
Supermoto Rider

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Question about those little stove fuel bottles - can you fill them OK at the gas pump? 3/4 liter isn't much and fuel comes out really fast. I'm afraid I'll over-fill them and spew gas everywhere. I bought 3 one liter bottles on sale for less than $4 each, but haven't yet tried to fill them at the gas station.
Bottles this small can be annoying to fill up. It really depends on whether the pump handle you get lets you gradually ease the flow on and off. Patience is the key with these.
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #652
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro3 View Post

Two of the best items to have along you might not think to take;
1. A vinyl coated cloth to use at the threshold of the tent to keep from tracking things in. Works great to stand on while changing clothes and anywhere you need to protect something.
2. A Shamwow. Seriously, that thing is worth it's weight in gold. When packing up after a rain, it will pull more water off a tent, rain fly, sleeping bag, bike seat, etc. than you could imagine.

thanks for the tips.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #653
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMC View Post
Bottles this small can be annoying to fill up. It really depends on whether the pump handle you get lets you gradually ease the flow on and off. Patience is the key with these.
Yes, filling these bottles is annoying at a gas pump.
I have done it and spilled my share of fuel with "twitchy" pump handles that won't let you just trickle fuel out.
My solution is to fill my 1 gallon RotoPax at the pump and use that to fill my fuel bottles.
Of course this will not work for those who don't have (space for) the RotoPax.
Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #654
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:

I use a 2 man tent, my riding buddy uses a mosquito netting sorta thing.
What does your buddy do when it rains and his legs are hanging out the end of the tent?

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #655
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMaa View Post
What does your buddy do when it rains and his legs are hanging out the end of the tent?

or his head (that's just a mosquito net)
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #656
drikko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:

I got this chair because it is very light an mesh, so it drains well. I sat in it under a tree for two days along the John Day River when it wouldn't stop raining. The best things about a short chair are;
1. Very close to ground so you can use the earth for a table top; making dinner, etc.
2. Easy to tend a fire for a couple days while waiting out bad weather sitting that close to the earth.
So waht sort of chair is it? Brand name? Or is it a generic cheapie of some sort. Am looking for a light small chair that can take 105kgs and don;t like those 2 legged ones!
Breville Sandwich Maker
Brisbane OZ
drikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #657
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
no mate never a good idea!
easiest way i found was to yank the fuel line off the carb and use the tap on the tank. not always possible with more modern Fi bikes but there has to be a better way for you. you dont have to pull the progressive trigger full blast but if you try and fill those bottles from the pump eventually you will make a mess one time, its bad enough trying to fill a proper 5litre approved can.
and that stuff in your eyes HURTS.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #658
Danielmoben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Subscribed

www.mobenmotorcycles.blogspot.com
Danielmoben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #659
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Wow!! I forgot about Razr's awesome thread, nice to see it still around!!

I posted this in the Giantloop vendors thread and thought it might be ok for this thread also.

============================================

Greetings,

I've been thrashing about with Giantloop bags for a few years now and enjoying the ease of mounting of these bags. One of the downside is as we know the bag is not waterproof.

Crossings such as these or monsoon downpours will have water leak past the zipper and through the seams.

I have about 3 inches of water in the bottom of the bags after crossings like this. interesting as it would leak past the zipper/seams but yet not drain out the bottom and leave a nice puddle in the bottom. I may put an 1/8" hole in the bottom to facilitate draining of the bags.

Since I ride with a hammock and down quilts I need to keep my stuff waterproof. I keep my clothes and sleeping equipment in dry bags. I'm testing two designs and wanted to give my feedback for others.

First is the Sea to Summit E-vent compression bag

I used the size large as I calced thas this would be the largest size diameter wise to fit inside the coyote bag. I used smaller diameter compression bags last year and it made a hard sausage like object to pack that did not allow easy packing to fill the rest of the room in the Coyote. So I desired a bag that would fill the full diameter of the bag this time.

My complete Hammock w/bugnet, tarp, and down top and bottom quilts stuffed into the bag and compressed down to its minimum size of:

8" tall

By 9 " wide

The coyote bag has a strange shape at the bottom that a normal dry bag will not fit ideally. GL's dry bags will address this situation but were not available when i was in the states. I also prefer compression bags to minimize space and not sure if their bags were going to have that feature or not. The gap left in the bottom of the bag is

4 1/2"

and about 4 inches wide

What I do is simnply stuff the bottom with packaged food or anything that fits in the nook well. My trips are at least multi day to multi week so always have dried fruit, oatmeal, rice or other stuff that fits well in the gap.

The other bag i tried was the Exped Shrink bag.

I used the yellow bag which is 22L

Packed with the same sleeping equipment it measured

18" long

and about 9" wide

By 6 inches tall. Its a more malleable load to work with which may or may not be a good thing depending on your packing situation. It has the advantage of a large opening top that makes grabbing things from inside a lot easier than a normal compression dry bag. However it does not compress near as small a package as a typical compression bag no matter what the manufacture claims. It has a purge valve to release the air as you compress the bag with your body weight. However once compressed I noticed the down puffing up again by a bit. Not really efficient in my eyes for what I was trying to accomplish. A lot of people love these bags but I decided to keep my sleep gear in the Event bag due to the amount of down i wanted compressed. I use the Exped bag for my clothes since they don't compress all that much and pack minimal no matter how long the trip. I only pack one long traveler pant that converts to shorts, long sleeve thermal top, capilene t- shirt, down vest and two pair of undies and socks It packs quite small that I can then store my complete tool kit, tire tools, pump, and spares next to the Exped bag. One side of my GL has the clothes and all the tools and spares and the other side of the bag food and camping equipment.

I love compression bags for their efficient use of space and finding the Large Event bag was a perfect fit for the Coyote with the Exped Shrink bag handling the clothes. It keeps my loads from filling the GL bag. Here packed for four days camping in the hills.

Hope this info helps other bastards that are trying to keep their loads small
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #660
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,725
Wicked

^^^ Very nice post.

It looks like you have trouble finding good parking spots.