ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #661
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,027
Awesome, thanks for posting that. I have been forcing myself to travel lighter and lighter, and loving it. I too have a Giant Loop coyote, and I use some thin Sea to Summit rolltop dry bags to store clothes in, cram my tarp, hammock and bugnet in first, shove the clothes on top, and then pack my sleeping bag in. That leaves 1/3 of the bag free for tools, food, water, etc. I've not got an underquilt yet, but I think that I'll get an under and over quilt and a compression sack like yours to make even more room!
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #662
MotoBoss
Bad Influence
 
MotoBoss's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Mid South Indiana
Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Hope this info helps other bastards that are trying to keep their loads small


Nice write up. thanks for taking the time, great info for us minimal hammock packers..............................
__________________
Adventure Before Dementia
MotoBossMotoBlog

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV



MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #663
DCMC
Supermoto Rider
 
DCMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
^^^ Very nice post.

It looks like you have trouble finding good parking spots.
Agreed. Good post. I also have one of those sacks in MD size and it's great.
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #664
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Lost in the jungles of Thailand
Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
^^^ Very nice post.

It looks like you have trouble finding good parking spots.
Haha. They have custom parking spots over here where you don't even need sidestands to keep the bike up..

__________________
Cheers,
Team FTB
------------------
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #665
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Lost in the jungles of Thailand
Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Nice write up. thanks for taking the time, great info for us minimal hammock packers..............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Awesome, thanks for posting that. I have been forcing myself to travel lighter and lighter, and loving it. I too have a Giant Loop coyote, and I use some thin Sea to Summit rolltop dry bags to store clothes in, cram my tarp, hammock and bugnet in first, shove the clothes on top, and then pack my sleeping bag in. That leaves 1/3 of the bag free for tools, food, water, etc. I've not got an underquilt yet, but I think that I'll get an under and over quilt and a compression sack like yours to make even more room!
Nice to see others enjoying hanging from the hammock.
__________________
Cheers,
Team FTB
------------------
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #666
DCMC
Supermoto Rider
 
DCMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Nice to see others enjoying hanging from the hammock.
I just got a cheap one yesterday to try this out. I replaced the included cord and S-hooks with carabiners at about the same weight.

DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #667
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Nice to see others enjoying hanging from the hammock.
Yep, love mine.

BTW, I literally just got an email from GiantLoop announcing a new product that they have. Truly waterproof roll-top bags that fit the Coyote and Great Basin. A bit expensive (to me) @ $100 for the Coyote and $140 for the Great Basin. I probably will not be going to them since I have two bags that shove down into the Coyote pretty well, but it's an option now!
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #668
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Yep, love mine.

BTW, I literally just got an email from GiantLoop announcing a new product that they have. Truly waterproof roll-top bags that fit the Coyote and Great Basin. A bit expensive (to me) @ $100 for the Coyote and $140 for the Great Basin. I probably will not be going to them since I have two bags that shove down into the Coyote pretty well, but it's an option now!
I suppose these are fitted for the GL luggage, but I use roll-top canoe dry-bags of coated nylon (or polyester?) in my saddle bags, and they work perfectly, come in many sizes, colours, and shapes, and cost around $20-$30 each. I like the colours option, so I know which is clothes, sleeping bag, etc, and can tell mine from the wife's.
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #669
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Lost in the jungles of Thailand
Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMC View Post
I just got a cheap one yesterday to try this out. I replaced the included cord and S-hooks with carabiners at about the same weight.


Best of luck with your new toy. I was gonna try that model in an attempt to slim down the sleep system even more but never got to it. Setting up a hammock correctly takes some fiddling so don't worry if it takes you a few attempts to get it dialed. Best of luck and let us know how it goes for you.
__________________
Cheers,
Team FTB
------------------
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #670
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Lost in the jungles of Thailand
Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Yep, love mine.

BTW, I literally just got an email from GiantLoop announcing a new product that they have. Truly waterproof roll-top bags that fit the Coyote and Great Basin. A bit expensive (to me) @ $100 for the Coyote and $140 for the Great Basin. I probably will not be going to them since I have two bags that shove down into the Coyote pretty well, but it's an option now!
If they would have designed it with some compression straps I think they would be perfect.
__________________
Cheers,
Team FTB
------------------
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #671
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I suppose these are fitted for the GL luggage, but I use roll-top canoe dry-bags of coated nylon (or polyester?) in my saddle bags, and they work perfectly, come in many sizes, colours, and shapes, and cost around $20-$30 each. I like the colours option, so I know which is clothes, sleeping bag, etc, and can tell mine from the wife's.
Same here, I snagged mine for $10 on sale. Super thin material, very light weight, and just big enough to shove into the Coyote to fit the shape of it and then roll the top closed if I'm carrying a full load of stuff. The only problem with them is that on my last trip, I ended up shoving one of the bags underneath my cargo net one day and the vibrations wore a hole through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
If they would have designed it with some compression straps I think they would be perfect.
Yeah, they would have been really nice that way, especially the top bag.
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #672
DCMC
Supermoto Rider
 
DCMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 78
Update, I basically made this ride report just for this thread.

There are a lot more photos in the thread, and here is the video:

Link to HD Video:
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #673
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,562
great vid and great trip!

it's nice to get away and just ride.
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #674
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,109
Wicked I like little bike camping

I just got back from a 2600 mile, 5.5 day 50% dirt ride covering most of the Nevada and Oregon TAT camping off my Husaberg.
Thought I could share my setup here in RAZR's thread...
I managed to fit everything in a small GL mojave, a Wolfman Large Rollie bag, a Kreiga US10 bag, a small fender bag, and my Ortlieb backpack.
Extra fuel to make it in between gas stations was carried in a MSR Dromedary 6L bag strapped to my backpack.

I have been refining my traveling gear for years, granted packing the Husa can be a little more challenging than my big bikes were, but I believe I've found the setup that works for me and my stuff. As you know it's always a balance of being comfortable and not overloading the bike. Nice thing is now it's easy to pack like this, I can be packed and moving in about 25 minutes from waking up, including having coffee. Riding sunrise to after sunset is how I like to roll... Works out good when I'm camping in places I shouldn't be too.
One thing is for sure, less is more.... in the end I enjoy the act of motorcycle riding more than anything and the fun factor of traveling on a little bike far surpasses the convenience of having more stuff with me on a bigger bike.

Tent, bag, pad, stove/pot/fry pan combo, grill, (water) shoes, pants, shorts, fleece, hat, warm gloves, long underwear, towel, cool vest, axe, bear spray, camera stuff, first aid kit, air pump, spare tubes, various tools (stored in hidden compartment on left side of bike), tow rope, block and tackle pulley, water filter (with 4L water bag), food and sometimes beer.
It was most convenient having my tent in the Kreiga bag strapped to the Mojave, while I didn't need to setup camp in the rain on this ride, being able to setup my tent without opening any other bags is great and will be handy in the future when the weather isn't as good.
I was prepared for the variety of climates and the 70F temperature swing I saw on this ride from the Nevada desert to the cold wet rain forests in Oregon, I could travel with this pack and gear for any amount of time, the only thing I need to change is how I carry fuel and increase the oil capacity to have a perfect long range ADV bike.
I NEED to do that oil in the frame mod....

More than likely I'll add another Kreiga US 10 bag to strap to the other side of the Mojave to put my water bladder in, I want to get all the weight off my back and just have lightweight stuff like my fleece in it, saving space for food and beer at the last gas stop of the day as I like to camp where I end up around sunset.

Either way I finally took a ride that's more my style on the Husaberg, the rest were just local excursions up to now and foresee many fun miles ahead on this lightweight ADV bike.




Gravity Works water filter system



Fresh cold water, no effort needed.






Charging off the Shorai at camp







Stove combo, Primus Eta Express. I primarily cook with the fire and just use the stove for coffee, though when there's no camp fire it cooks just fine too.






Two man tent, all my camping/sleeping gear is Big Agnes.







Firewood





















































__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 02:53 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #675
DCMC
Supermoto Rider
 
DCMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I just got back from a 2600 mile, 5.5 day 50% dirt ride covering most of the Nevada and Oregon TAT camping off my Husaberg.
Thought I could share my setup here in RAZR's thread...
I managed to fit everything in a small GL mojave, a Wolfman Large Rollie bag, a Kreiga US10 bag, a small fender bag, and my Ortlieb backpack.
Extra fuel to make it in between gas stations was carried in a MSR Dromedary 6L bag strapped to my backpack.

I have been refining my traveling gear for years, granted packing the Husa can be a little more challenging than my big bikes were, but I believe I've found the setup that works for me and my stuff. As you know it's always a balance of being comfortable and not overloading the bike. Nice thing is now it's easy to pack like this, I can be packed and moving in about 25 minutes from waking up, including having coffee. Riding sunrise to after sunset is how I like to roll... Works out good when I'm camping in places I shouldn't be too.
One thing is for sure, less is more.... in the end I enjoy the act of motorcycle riding more than anything and the fun factor of traveling on a little bike far surpasses the convenience of having more stuff with me on a bigger bike.

Tent, bag, pad, stove/pot/fry pan combo, grill, (water) shoes, pants, shorts, fleece, hat, warm gloves, long underwear, towel, cool vest, axe, bear spray, camera stuff, first aid kit, air pump, spare tubes, various tools (stored in hidden compartment on left side of bike), tow rope, block and tackle pulley, water filter (with 4L water bag), food and sometimes beer.
It was most convenient having my tent in the Kreiga bag strapped to the Mojave, while I didn't need to setup camp in the rain on this ride, being able to setup my tent without opening any other bags is great and will be handy in the future when the weather isn't as good.
I was prepared for the variety of climates and the 70F temperature swing I saw on this ride from the Nevada desert to the cold wet rain forests in Oregon, I could travel with this pack and gear for any amount of time, the only thing I need to change is how I carry fuel and increase the oil capacity to have a perfect long range ADV bike.
I NEED to do that oil in the frame mod....

More than likely I'll add another Kreiga US 10 bag to strap to the other side of the Mojave to put my water bladder in, I want to get all the weight off my back and just have lightweight stuff like my fleece in it, saving space for food and beer at the last gas stop of the day as I like to camp where I end up around sunset.

Either way I finally took a ride that's more my style on the Husaberg, the rest were just local excursions up to now and foresee many fun miles ahead on this lightweight ADV bike.
Great post

Quote:

Gravity Works water filter system



Fresh cold water, no effort needed.



I was wondering how much water you tend to use in one night for camping and drinking. You seem to have something like 12L of fresh water bladders with you. (one is the dirty bag for the filter I understand)

I am also interested in your total cargo volume.

Why? I'm just wondering if there is a typical base weight and base volume for moto camping. It seems like backpackers tend to have commonly accepted 10-15 pound "base weight" and 5-10 pound "consumables" weights that fit into about 30L. Moto guys need our tools, spares, fuel, and protective equipment.

In my list I estimated about 23 pounds of base weight plus 12 pounds of worn safety gear and clothing. My consumables weight I don't really know properly but I guess it's about 12 pounds for a weekend trip with water and gas available twice daily.
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014