User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #676
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,166
Thanks!

The Gravity Works water filter bags are 4L each, but one is for dirty water, one for clean.
I have an insulated Platypus Big Zip 2L I use in combination with a Camelbak Mil-Spec drinking tube to carry drinking water throughout the day in my backpack and soon to be on the bike instead.
Thing is I use Camelbak Elixr tablets to make my drinking water taste good and give me electrolytes, like green gatorade. It doesn't work too well for cooking though....
When I know I'll be in places without water I have another MSR 4L bag I carry, like in Death Valley or Baja.
On this trip, the first few nights in Nevada I didn't end up camping next to water when the sun went down and got by with picking up a can of food that just needed to be heated one night, I ate snacks another night.... figured eating light wouldn't hurt me and was so tired sleep came easy anyways.
I'm all about eating good while traveling usually, love to cook some meat on a fire as why I bring a cooking grate, but it just didn't work out this time, with no fresh food available along the trail. This one was about riding long miles and getting by with what I had.

The GL Mojave is 10.5L, the Rollie bag is 12.5, the Kreiga is 10L with space to spare with my tent in it, the Ortlieb Flight backpack is 22L and never close to full. I didn't count the tank bag, that's for my camera and tripod, a microfiber towel, chain adjusting tools, and snacks.
Most of my other tools are stashed on the bike, along with the spare tubes so I don't need to worry about packing them.

For camping gear and extra clothes about 30L and 25 pounds sounds right to me for having what to me is minimal for comfortable camping/traveling in various climates. My gear, not including tools doesn't weight more than 25 pounds. I could cut a few things from my pack if need be, never wanted for anything more while on the trail though.

The cooking rack I carry, Open Country Explorer 12 x 6 cooking Grid. Takes little space, very lightweight and some of the best steaks I've ever had were cooked on this grill.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #677
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
<----------pickin up that folding grill tomorrow
Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #678
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
<----------pickin up that folding grill tomorrow
Works good with charcoal too, though mesquite or redwood coals are best....

Couple other small things that are handy I carry:

Enduro Star Trail Stand, good for changing tires or when you get a flat, packs small and very handy.

Adventure Engineering EZ-Pull Ultra Compact Block & Tackle

Sea to Summit X-Mug a mug that weighs nothing, packs very small and most importantly has a built in measuring cup.

Custom painted Kennedy Meadows ADV ride Coozy, you'll have to talk to RAZR to get one of these...

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #679
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,934
stoked you had a great trip!

now LET'S RIDE!!!
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #680
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
another one grilliput, REALLY like mine!
http://www.gofastandlight.com/Grilli.../CO-GRILLIPUT/

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #681
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Another Grilliput user. Don't have the fire bowl though.

GaM screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 04:29 AM
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #682
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 984
WOW! That Grillput packs small! For the price of it on their website, I wouldn't even bother to home brew one!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #683
FirstLight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Has anyone tried the 180 Tack stove? I heard about it this week on The Survival Podcast (which is awesome BTW). It looks really sturdy and compact. Demo videos are on the site:

http://www.180tack.com/
FirstLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #684
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLight View Post
Has anyone tried the 180 Tack stove? I heard about it this week on The Survival Podcast (which is awesome BTW). It looks really sturdy and compact. Demo videos are on the site:

http://www.180tack.com/
Cool design, fairly similar to the emberlit. I'm planning on getting an emberlit as I can use it with a soda can stove, loose burning material, other stoves, etc.

http://www.emberlit.com/
Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #685
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Cool design, fairly similar to the emberlit. I'm planning on getting an emberlit as I can use it with a soda can stove, loose burning material, other stoves, etc.

http://www.emberlit.com/
Another cool stove. He even sells stainless steel chopsticks on his web site!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #686
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
Check fire restrictions carefully for the wood stoves. There are a lot of places with strict regulations where you can't use those. I really like my esbit stove. Tiny, boils water quickly and you can just bring as many tablets as you know you'll need, don't have to estimate like for gas stoves and it always works! (I use a small windscreen with it, but you could just pile up some rocks)

However, everything I eat only requires hot water, no steaks!

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #687
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
Check fire restrictions carefully for the wood stoves. There are a lot of places with strict regulations where you can't use those.
That's the nice thing about some of these collapsible stoves that are more than a simple grill. They will function as a wood stove when needed and allowed, but will also make a fantastic windscreen and pot holder for using some other source of heat (soda can stove, penny, stove, whatever).
Old 09-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #688
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,723
Device Charger

Hey fellas... I've been using one of these from Monoprice and it's worked very well. I keep it in my tank bag during the day & charge it off my Powerlet-to-USB adapter.. then at night in the tent I can hook my devices to it. Since I run several video/photo cams I always have multiple batteries ready, but don't have a backup iPhone or Sena headset, so I can charge these overnight. This thing is small, about the size of my iPhone, it will also charge my iPad if I have it for journaling or updating RRs on the trail.. (most of the time thats at home :)

Thought I'd throw it out there..

Monoprice External Battery Pack

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #689
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Also bought something like this recently, the TeckNet model with 7000mA(7A) rating. Will be great for charging phone and using lights that run off or charge by USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Hey fellas... I've been using one of these from Monoprice and it's worked very well. I keep it in my tank bag during the day & charge it off my Powerlet-to-USB adapter.. then at night in the tent I can hook my devices to it. Since I run several video/photo cams I always have multiple batteries ready, but don't have a backup iPhone or Sena headset, so I can charge these overnight. This thing is small, about the size of my iPhone, it will also charge my iPad if I have it for journaling or updating RRs on the trail.. (most of the time thats at home :)

Thought I'd throw it out there..

Monoprice External Battery Pack
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #690
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
I've often considered the Enduro Star Trail Stand but since I live in wooded country and carry a small folding saw I've always just cut a piece of wood to serve the purpose, now if someone was to figure a way to get the two sides pieces of that grill to also go together and make a trail stand I'm in.

Here's a homemade stove I made out of a sheet of titanium that uses a beer can pot, it all folds up and goes in the grey bag in the first photo. I've used this for years and it has a small piece of mesh that allows air under the fire which makes it work well on fuel that can be hard to burn. Obviously this is for use in the non fire season which we have a lot of here on the Olympic Peninsula.

mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote