Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Wistrick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Zumo 550 mapupdates to SD card

So I have installed a 2014 mapupdate that doesn't fit in the internal memory on an SD card (which from reading old threads and using the search function I thought was the way to go..)But the maps on the SD card don't load still showing the old 2012 updated map under the tool>map>mapinfo....

someone please tell me I didnt waste my money on lifetime updates for a device that can't handle them....WTF

Dan
Wistrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
shepp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
best of luck to you. l have been pulling my hair out trying to update to lifetime maps! just stuck it all in a box and sent it back to garmin to sort out.
shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
The Zumo will read maps on its internal memory first, then from an installed SD card.

You need to delete the maps off the internal memory, use it for MP3 music. Then it will read your 2014 maps off the SD card. FYI, it will draw/load maps a bit slower from the SD card. Not usually an issue but can be a PITA sometimes.

I've been doing it this way for several years with Lifetime map updates on my 550.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
shepp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
How do l wipe the maps off the internal memory? This update thing has been driving me mad! Its sat in a box to be posted to Garmin on Monday.
shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Remove your SD card

Attach the Zumo via the USB cable.

Your computer should see it as a "drive"

First thing you want to do is COPY the entire "drive" to your computer as a backup. (This is a good idea anyway)

Then navigate to folder "garmin" on the Zumo "drive" and look for a file named gmapsupp it should be 1.5 gig or larger. That is the map file, delete it.

disconnect USB and then check your Zumo it should not have map data loaded at this time.

Then install the SD card reconnect USB and load your maps to the SD card via Mapsource/Basecamp and you'll be good to go

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."

Wlfman screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 11:05 AM
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Perhaps you just need to try this.

Tools > Map > Map Info > select and or deselect appropriate maps.

I run my Zumo with three sets of maps...split between the SD and unit.

Edit to add.....your problem maybe file names........ I have found you have only one gmapprom image file on the SD and unit...but you can have two gmapsupp files on SD/Unit so I have I have my 24K topo called gmapprom on the unit and my CityNav update 1.9 gig file called gmapsupp on the SD card. I also have one AZ Topo Supp file on the Unit too. I then use the Map select to pick which one I want. Image files should be in Garmin Directory.

Twohondas screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 12:08 PM Reason: L
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote