User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
New Fine for no Tourist Card in Baja..

...so, I rode down to La Paz from San Diego and didnt get the tourist visa at the border. Figured I would take care of it all here in La Paz before I boarded the ferry to Topolobambo. Well, at the migracion office I was goven 2 receipts to pay at the bank, one for the normal 262 peso fee and another for 1156! They were not much help there in explaining why this was, only that everyone pays this. I went to the tourist information office and they made a couple of calls and said that this something new in all of Mexico that they are doing to make sure people get their visa at the border. I'm still trying to find a way around this, i.e. saying I had one and lost it, etc. But it's not looking too good, because it seems legally legit. I'm pretty much posting this as a heads up to other riders who might be thinking to do what I did. Had I known about this, obviously I would have taken care of it at the border and just come back from my trip a little earlier.
brecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecchi View Post
...so, I rode down to La Paz from San Diego and didnt get the tourist visa at the border. Figured I would take care of it all here in La Paz before I boarded the ferry to Topolobambo. Well, at the migracion office I was goven 2 receipts to pay at the bank, one for the normal 262 peso fee and another for 1156! They were not much help there in explaining why this was, only that everyone pays this. I went to the tourist information office and they made a couple of calls and said that this something new in all of Mexico that they are doing to make sure people get their visa at the border. I'm still trying to find a way around this, i.e. saying I had one and lost it, etc. But it's not looking too good, because it seems legally legit. I'm pretty much posting this as a heads up to other riders who might be thinking to do what I did. Had I known about this, obviously I would have taken care of it at the border and just come back from my trip a little earlier.
I can't speak to what you were charged having not been there to talk to the officials (sounds like the normal tourist card fee, plus a fine), but:

The requirement for tourist cards related to Mexico, Baja included, are fairly easy to find, and I don't think they've changed. Based upon what I know backed up with a fast online check this evening to see if I've left anything out, I offer the following (along with a quick review of vehicle permits):

The TVIP, or Temporary Vehicle Import Permit, isn't required for Baja or Western Sonora State. You can travel to the end of the peninsula without a TVIP.

A tourist card is required anywhere in Mexico except for the Border Zone and designated tourist corridors.

In the case of Baja, the applicable tourist corridor is Tijuana to Ensenada. Anything south of Ensenada (technically, Maneadero, just south of Ensenada) requires a tourist card. Anything south of Mexicali on Mx 5 requires a tourist card. Any visit in the excepted areas anywhere, including th Border Zones, over 72 hours requres a tourist card.

Ergo, you were fine without the tourist card when you left San Diego and entered Mexico, up until the point you continued on past, essentially, Ensenada. Hind sight being what it is, the fact that you were going to La Paz equals tourist card requirement, and that you were planning to go to the mainland equals TVIP requirement. Given your routing, next time get them both at the border at the same time and travel worry-free.

Yours is a good post, in that it is bound to help someone else.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for your input tricepilot. It's my own stupid fault for not taking care of this at the border. I was under the impression that I could just get the visa at La Paz with no fine at all, or maybe a minimal one if anything. Almost $100 on top of the normal visa fee was just a big shock as far as the amount of the penalty, but I know better now. I PMed an inmate who got a visa in La Paz recently and I talked to a couple of locals to see if I can get around the fine, but unfortunately I may have to swallow it. Its just frustrating, because it would have taken just a little while at the border. I was just trying to get fancy and stretch out my allotted time in MX as long as possible, and seems Ive shot myself in the foot.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I forgot to mention that the "new" part of the fine seems to be the AMOUNT. I wasn't very clear about that. Basically from what I gather, they used to either look the other way and not care at all, or impose something like a 200 peso fine. Ive also been told that the farther south you went without one, the higher the fine would go (i.e. 50 pesos in Ensenada, maybe double that in Guerrero Negro and something like 200 in La Paz.) The nice women at the tourist office I went to made some phone calls for me, and apologetically told me that this seems to be a new measure taken nationwide to get folks to get their tourist cards right away. I'm going to go back to the migracion office on monday, hopefully with a local and say that I had a tourist card but lost it, and try to finagle a "replacement", hopefully with a lesser or no fine. Its a long shot, but I cant think of anything else. Whatever ends up happening, Ill be sure to post my experience on this thread.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Well, at least you have a good story to tell, and can chalk it all up to lessons learned. As I said before, your post will serve to educate others and hopefully cause them to research paperwork requirements as they plan their Mexico adventure.

I know of two riders who traveled the length of the Mexican mainland without getting a TVIP or a tourist card. Their rationale was much more extreme than yours. Theirs was: "I'll never get caught". Good for them. On my recent trip to Oaxaca I wasn't asked for them either (first time that's happened), but I factor that carrying the worry that I will be asked and not having the documents outweighs any thrill I might get for rolling the dice. But that's me.

On another note, what I found online as far as the line of demarcation for the tourist card in Baja to kick in to be right at Ensenada (two websites), there is a posting in your other thread that it is the line of lattitude separating BCN and BCS which basically corresponds to Guerrero Negro. I suppose I could continue researching this but since I'm not going to Baja tonight, I'll let someone else tip the vote. At least Ensenada is the more conservative of the two locations.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,037
Just a quick note. All fines in Mexico from federal to state to municipal now seem to be skyrocketing. For example, the fine for driving while talking on a cell phone in Boca del Rio in Veracruz is now 800 pesos. Gone are the days of low fines.
It clearly gives the corrupt transit cops an opportunity to simply extract a bigger mordida. Ditto for government officials everywhere. Be advised and be careful, also it is Christmas season and that means every corrupt official is looking for an easy mark so they can buy their offspring some toys for 3 Kings Day. I don't have a problem with kids getting toys, just that they won't be doing it with my money unless it comes from a charity.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
I understand the rules require you to get a tourist card at the border, but it sounds like they just changed past practice for tourist cards in BC. As with all of Latin America, there is the letter of the law, and then there is the way that things are actually done.

Before, you could get a card in GN (Baja Norte/Sur state line) or just get one in La Paz. I've done that more than a few times. I just told them that I forgot to get it at the border and they have always had the attitude, "no problem amigo, we can issue you one here." So, they have changed the way they do business I guess.

Also in BC, the only two places that you will be checked for a tourist card is the checkpoint on Mex 1 at Guerrero Negro, Baja Norte/Sur state line, or before you try to get on a ferry to the mainland. You can easily avoid the GN checkpoint if you so wish.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^ My advice, which is worth what you pay for it , would be to skip the worry about policy flux ahd what checkpoint is where, and simply get the tourist card whenever you plan to be in Mexico past the border zone, and a TVIP anytime you plan to travel the mainland.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Before, you could get a card in GN (Baja Norte/Sur state line) or just get one in La Paz. I've done that more than a few times. I just told them that I forgot to get it at the border and they have always had the attitude, "no problem amigo, we can issue you one here." So, they have changed the way they do business I guess.

Also in BC, the only two places that you will be checked for a tourist card is the checkpoint on Mex 1 at Guerrero Negro, Baja Norte / Sur state line, or before you try to get on a ferry to the mainland. You can easily avoid the GN checkpoint if you so wish.
This mirrors my experience in Baja over the last 10 years or so. We've bought Tourist cards at the Guerrero Negro check several times, other times we rode around it and never got it at all. Funny though, last time I went through at GN, the check point was abandon! No one there at all. This was two years ago. Now? Obviously things are in flux, no surprise given the instability of the country, the violence, especially around the border areas.

Tijuana is confusing to find the Aduana/Migracion/Bancjercito offices if you don't know it. But actually its quite easy, and just a stone's throw from the border line. You could literally park just beyond the Mex. Border Kiosk and walk to it. It's due West about two blocks. Driving there requires a minor detour but everyone knows it. Ask.

But seems to me if the Mexicans want compliance on this .... then they should set up an easy roadside check/Migracion office on the road between TJ and Ensenada. (well lit and open 24/7) A kind of drive through do-it-all tourist service center staffed by English speakers. It's so obvious ... and they already have the toll booths along there so you have to stop anyway .... and its the only main road.

With Tourism in the toilet its hard to imagine what more idiocy the Mex. govt. can do to keep people away and bring down the country. Maybe set some IED's for the Baja 1000 racers? Kidnap some tourists? Burn down a few Hotels?

Once the Cartels begin to fight back ... and open fire on road side military checks, then things will get very scary for tourists riding Bikes ... as bikes are already suspect as assassination vehicles. Say thanks that the Mex Military are not as Trigger Happy as Black Water guys.

At this point the Mex Tourism dept. should offering welcoming Drinks and snacks to anyone who shows up, complete with Gift coupons.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
People are going to stop going to Mexico because there is a fine assessed for not following the rules? Sheesh. I thought we were "Adventure Riders" here.

Every country I've been to has rules about what sorts of permits you need, how long they're valid for, where you can go and what you can do there....and perilously few of them place well-lit, 24 hour, English-speaking welcome centers on the highways to let you know how it all works. Mostly you blunder along doing whatever seems functional, and sometimes just when you begin to get the hang of it they change either 1. the rules or 2. the enforcement. If you're lucky, you get away with it; if not, you pay. It's not a big deal, and the OP's attitude seems totally appropriate--he tried to game the system, lost, and it'll cost him a hundred bucks or so.

They change the rules like this in the USA, Canada and Europe too. They're probably doing it right now, at this very moment (late on a Sunday night, yet). The only reason we don't notice is because we're mostly citizens or residents.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Had to pay the fine. Took a long time. Lot of extra forms, even had to write a letter explaining that I went through Tecate without stopping for the visa. Its even more of a hassle if you actually lose the permit and tell them that. I had a slight hookup at the Cabo immigration office and it still took 4 hours and cost me the extra $100. On top of that, I messed up even more and wrote in the letter that I crossed on the 15th of November (which is true) so I got the visa for 6 months from that date. I should have said I crossed 2 days ago. The whole point of me not getting one at the border was to maximize my time stay in MX.

Pay at the border, dont be a tool-ass-mofo like me.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #12
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Shoot, I think you did fine. You made a mistake, owned up, paid the price and saved others from doing the same thing. And it'll probably be a long, long time before you make the same mistake again. Everyone wins!

(Easy for me to say)

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #13
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Shoot, I think you did fine. You made a mistake, owned up, paid the price and saved others from doing the same thing. And it'll probably be a long, long time before you make the same mistake again. Everyone wins!

Yup.

Although $100 in Mexico is a ton of money. A few years ago you would have had to work at it to get the fine for anything over $20.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #14
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecchi View Post
dont be a tool-ass-mofo like me

Well, you're not even close to being a tool-ass-mofo, but that's an excellent phrase and I'll put it in my insult arsenal to toss out at the proper time down the road.

Like I said before, experiences like yours make the best stories years later.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
ontheborder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-mexico-is-up/

Tourism in the toilet in Mexico? Where did you hear that?

Undeterred by travel warnings and frightening headlines about safety in Mexico, an increasing number of international tourists are flying to the country, according to the Mexico Tourism Board. The number of international tourists who flew to Mexico from January to August increased 19 percent over the same period last year, according to the board, and most were from the United States. More than four million American citizens flew to Mexico, an increase of 15 percent over the same period last year, and about 61 percent of international tourists to Mexico are Americans.
“There are several reasons why Mexico’s tourism numbers are up, but the strongest reason is the value Mexico delivers,” said Alfonso Sumano, director of the Americas for the tourism board. “In addition to having several of the top sun and beach destinations of the world, Mexico has 30,000 archeological sites, 110,000 monuments and 31 Unesco World Heritage sites. Many places have one or maybe two of these elements, but only Mexico combines all of them in one destination.”
The surge in tourism is being matched by a surge in flights from North American hubs: Continental, United Airlines and Delta have all announced plans for additional flights to Mexican destinations, including Mexico City and Cancún.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
This mirrors my experience in Baja over the last 10 years or so. We've bought Tourist cards at the Guerrero Negro check several times, other times we rode around it and never got it at all. Funny though, last time I went through at GN, the check point was abandon! No one there at all. This was two years ago. Now? Obviously things are in flux, no surprise given the instability of the country, the violence, especially around the border areas.

Tijuana is confusing to find the Aduana/Migracion/Bancjercito offices if you don't know it. But actually its quite easy, and just a stone's throw from the border line. You could literally park just beyond the Mex. Border Kiosk and walk to it. It's due West about two blocks. Driving there requires a minor detour but everyone knows it. Ask.

But seems to me if the Mexicans want compliance on this .... then they should set up an easy roadside check/Migracion office on the road between TJ and Ensenada. (well lit and open 24/7) A kind of drive through do-it-all tourist service center staffed by English speakers. It's so obvious ... and they already have the toll booths along there so you have to stop anyway .... and its the only main road.

With Tourism in the toilet its hard to imagine what more idiocy the Mex. govt. can do to keep people away and bring down the country. Maybe set some IED's for the Baja 1000 racers? Kidnap some tourists? Burn down a few Hotels?

Once the Cartels begin to fight back ... and open fire on road side military checks, then things will get very scary for tourists riding Bikes ... as bikes are already suspect as assassination vehicles. Say thanks that the Mex Military are not as Trigger Happy as Black Water guys.

At this point the Mex Tourism dept. should offering welcoming Drinks and snacks to anyone who shows up, complete with Gift coupons.