ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #721
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,460
The hills were flooded with skiers and snow shoers and snowmobiles today! Everyone and their dog is out playing in the snow it seems.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #722
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,210
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #723
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dual Sport View Post
Shit happens. Wrong place wrong time. Time to go. Ect.
Make educated choices through life and enjoy it to its fullest.
I'd rather go doing what I love then to be scared of dying everyday.
Exactly! It has nothing to do with blame. It has absolutely nothing to do with bottom feeding lawyers, It has nothing to do with fear or being a pussy. It has everything to do with Knowledge and Educated Choices. Shit doesn't just happen. Even though we use that excuse. There is always a reason, a circumstance, a situation involved making shit happen. Filing in those blanks goes a long way toward Knowledge and Educated Choices. The guide question in this equation doesn't have to have a damn thing to do with snow. I see it everywhere. There are a lot of Fishing Guides around here. A large portion of their clientele couldn't pull fish out of a grocery store freezer by themselves let alone get themselves down river without drowning. They put 100% faith in the guide. The hope is their money is buying Knowledge and Educated Choices that they are unable to make themselves. The possibility that things could still go pear shaped is where I get the Adrenaline Rush from and the reason for a lot of the stupid shit I have done. The way I see it, the more Education we posses the longer we can enjoy things before they wipe us out.

The thing that happened at Cornucopia was Tragic and put a lot of
people on the edge. I don't see a need to "Blame Someone". I see a need to learn from it. Lots of unanswered questions in these situations. Hut to Hut Skiing is a long way from Climbing a Virgin route on some obscure gnarly peak. This was not the first group in history to be there. I would assume the "Guides" had probably been there multiple times this season. What happened?
Old 02-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #724
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut View Post
.....The possibility that things could still go pear shaped is where I get the Adrenaline Rush from and the reason for a lot of the stupid shit I have done. The way I see it, the more Education we posses the longer we can enjoy things before they wipe us out.....
I really respect those well thought out words, OMB.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #725
DA KLIXTER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Sad news. We lost a snowmobiler yesterday in the Smiley Creek area north of Sun Valley. 4 sleds buried , 1 fatality. It was 2pm and the slide was remotely triggered.Tell your sledhead buddies that the avy danger is out there for them too.
CK
Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #726
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Some crazy shit out there. Terrain, Terrain,Terrain! Paths that haven't run in 20+ years are running big!

Mission Ridge Avy control set off a 6-8' crown in Bowl 4.

http://blogs.avalanche.ca/this-beaut...nly-skin-deep/

Ski safe!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #727
DA KLIXTER
Studly Adventurer

I'm sure that anyone who's paying attention is aware that you can get bit out there - we are adv riders after all.I'd like to get back to the reason we ski - and ride. The fun part. My daughter and I are planning to go cat skiing at Anthony Lakes Friday the 28th, then ski the resort on Saturday the 1st. If any of you FF's are in the area, look for us.I'll be the old guy in a blue jacket and blue plaid pants trying to keep up with my adult daughter.
CK
Old 02-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #728
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA KLIXTER View Post
I'm sure that anyone who's paying attention is aware that you can get bit out there - we are adv riders after all.I'd like to get back to the reason we ski - and ride. The fun part. My daughter and I are planning to go cat skiing at Anthony Lakes Friday the 28th, then ski the resort on Saturday the 1st. If any of you FF's are in the area, look for us.I'll be the old guy in a blue jacket and blue plaid pants trying to keep up with my adult daughter.
CK
Have fun! I love that place. We are discussing not buying season passes at Mt Bachelor anymore and make Anthony Lakes work for us instead.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #729
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,278
Agreed...

Quote:
Have fun! I love that place. We are discussing not buying season passes at Mt Bachelor anymore and make Anthony Lakes work for us instead.

Anthony Lakes is a great mountain...good snow in quality and usually quantity..

Thursday is 1/2 price for lift tickets...

My tickets are always free there........
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #730
DA KLIXTER
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You could do both. I have a season pass at Sun Valley and I think my daughter has a pass at Bogus Basin. It's always nice to mix it up with a road trip.
CK
Old 02-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #731
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA KLIXTER View Post
You could do both. I have a season pass at Sun Valley and I think my daughter has a pass at Bogus Basin. It's always nice to mix it up with a road trip.
CK
No, done with Mt. B and their inability to open terrain and or parking lots when it snows more than 6".
I called Anthony Lakes today to see if overnight parking was ok. I was able to speak to Peter their General Manager about it. That was very refreshing to see upper management actually cares.

Mr Dual Sport screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 01:15 PM
Mr Dual Sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #732
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
No, done with Mt. B and their inability to open terrain and or parking lots when it snows more than 6".
I called Anthony Lakes today to see if overnight parking was ok. I was able to speak to Peter their General Manager about it. That was very refreshing to see upper management actually cares.
We hiked Anthony last summer, and it looks like they still have the electrical outlets in the lower parking lot. We have plugged in our RV there for free! I've never done the snow cat thing there. I think it is in an area where they cut some runs but never put in a lift.

We're heading up to White Pass tonight. It's snowed like 3 feet there in the last couple days, might need a snorkel!!
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #733
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
We hiked Anthony last summer, and it looks like they still have the electrical outlets in the lower parking lot. We have plugged in our RV there for free! I've never done the snow cat thing there. I think it is in an area where they cut some runs but never put in a lift.

We're heading up to White Pass tonight. It's snowed like 3 feet there in the last couple days, might need a snorkel!!
The GM said the outlets are there and we would be welcome to use them! The small town feel at Mt. Bachelor is long gone. Can't wait for next season!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #734
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,449
Been some years but Silver Mountain at Kellog Idaho used to be a blast. Still had the down home feel to it.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #735
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
The small town feel at Mt. Bachelor is long gone.
Long, long, long gone. Haven't had the urge to make the trip down there for a few years, as much as I love the beauty of the area.
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote