Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
munchmeister OP
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,382
Question Moving to St Augustine. What's it really like?

Ok flatlanders. My daughter, son in law and my 3 y.o. grandson wanna move to St. Augustine, FL. I'm thinking I might want to go along, maybe invest in a house. I'm 65, retired last August. My daughter has visited St A & other FL places, & thinks St A is the most wonderful place she has ever been (she actually likes humidity)... . I'm sure its a great place to visit (yes, been googling it all) but what is life like there? Clearly I'm an adventurous motorcycle rider, but what kinda "culture" does St A have? I'm just wondering before I go buy a house and then want to retreat.

Be nice, now. I'm old.

munchmeister screwed with this post 01-01-2015 at 11:53 AM Reason: Less is more
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
PFSGATORS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Auggie is a fantastic place to live. Nice people, great seafood, a fun town. And, riding areas abound-
PFSGATORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
Steve Hunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Just 2 replys and you get two drastically different answers.

I have lived in N Fl for 54 years and my dream is to have a place in the mountains and keep my place in FL. Also, 2 days of heat and humidity is one thing, 6 months straight is quite another but its basically followed by 6 months of varying degrees of nice. Everybody has a different idea of what good riding is and if your happy your happy but for me If you like riding in FL its because you haven't been to where N GA, TN and NC come together. I pretty much just do trackdays around the Southeast, organized offroad events like Broxton Bridge SC in a few weeks, some adventure stuff in N GA. I plan to do the Polar Bear in a few weeks here in Fl.

Home is where the heart is but it still might be a good idea to rent for a summer.
Tagged 450 XCW, 950 Super Enduro, SV650 Track Bike
Hawk GT, Zuma, XR115 Mini Motard
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,980
It's immensely rich in history and if you truly love humidity like you loathe Wyoming winters you'll love it. Personally i'd love to live in Wyoming or Colorado but i've spent most of my life down here. We love taking day trips to St Augustine and just wandering around. Maybe a week or more vacation in August would be a wise investment to help with your decision. The tourists are thick as thieves in the summer months.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except your head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Unstable Rider
Fart and run

Oddometer: 2,502
I was there for work a couple times-- in May. The humidity was so high.... could not breath. Called front desk of motel for a dehumidifier. With the AC on full blast for two days, it was cold in the motel room but so "wet" and funky, everything smelled like cat piss.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:33 PM   #6
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,728
I've lived in/out of St. Augustine for 20+ years of my 28 year old life, and just returned not too long ago. It's pretty simple; May-mid October, it's hot and stupid humid. Though, being near the ocean helps to tone it down, at times. Late October-early April, pretty nice, but weather changes every other day.

This fall has been weird; brutally cold some days, wet and mild the next.

Tons of tourist traps, but also just a neat place with local places to hang out at and enjoy yourself. Crescent Beach just to the south is one of the last places you can drive a vehicle on the beach. Matanzas Inlet is also a really nice spot to drive up to or stick a chair in the sand. Flagler Beach to the south is neato, and Jacksonville Beach to the north is another place to enjoy yourself. Once you cross the intracoastal on the east side, real estate values go through the roof. I live on the south side and found a place for good value without looking too hard.

Places around to ride. Most of the pavement is boring, though if you have a full day, can take you to some good stuff. Lots of good dual sport-ish offroading. Ocala National Forest just right around the corner with everything from swingarm deep sand to nice hard packed two track rollers.

St. Augustine is still one of the few cities in Florida not to be overly tainted by tourists. It's meant to appeal to them, but still a lot of local dives and other areas that still make you feel like it's not turned into Disney north.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:28 AM   #7
ex250mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I really suggest to rent a few months especially in summer before buying. Thats general advice for anyone considering FL from up N.

As for riding, Summer is too damn hot after early morning. Unless your in the tanktop crowd. If you are used to riding mountains and twisty roads, you might get bored fairly quick. Getting someplace that isn't flat can be a long haul.

On the bright side, you can ride all winter. If you like riding sand, there is plenty of that. Of course, there is fishing, beaches etc...
ex250mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:44 AM   #8
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 4,041
Florida love it or hate it.
It's a great place to spend the winter but try a summer before you commit.
If you like flat straight roads, sugar sand and heat stroke Florida is paradise. The summer is too hot to ride in anything but a tee shirt. Water sports are the ticket in the summer.
To get the most out the offload riding you need a light weight barely street legal bike. Not a R1150GS. You will end up pointing the GS north to that golden GA. TN. NC. triangle for some twisties, gravel, and elevation change.
I've finally convinced my wife to move north after 5 years of debate.
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #9
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,755
Are you able to keep the yankee place and be a snowbird? Best of both worlds. I wish I had kept my house in upstate NY for the summers. Otherwise, you might end up like many in a few years buying a place in Western North Carolina where they will call you a "halfback" because you moved to Florida, didn't like it, and then moved half-way back.

If I can only have one domicile, N. Ga., W. NC, or E. Tn. is my choice.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
munchmeister OP
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,382
Good stuff, thanks. I would want to keep my house in Colorado. I actually live in one of those places that make it in the top ten this-and-that all the time: Fort Collins. Otherwise known as the Napa Valley of Beer. College town, great Old Town and I am riding the Poudre River Canyon or the Big Thompson up to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park in minutes. Trips to the San Juans in SW Colorado (Durango, Telluride, Ouray, etc) have convinced me I am pretty much in heaven. But it was 15 below zero last night, high of 12 and I'm not skiing any more. I think being a snowbird is the best plan, if I can afford it. Since 2015 is my first full year of retirement, I think a week in St Augustine in January is definitely the thing to do. I understand oppressive heat. I worked summers in Little Rock, Ark a couple of years and it once got up to something like 105 with corresponding humidity. I was wetter outside the pool than swimming in it.

What's the town like? Young and vibrant? Old and stodgy? Wing nuts or hippies?
Old 01-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,252
Great thread, Thanks. I'm in a similar boat, planning on visiting for a few weeks, pending that, renting for a year and getting to know the State before making any permanent moves (hopefully in October/November so I can grow into the humid season). Possibly bouncing around in a camper for a year first to scope out where I might want to settle down. I can no longer make use of what I love Colorado for most and I've missed the ocean for years; plus, getting closer to family (on the other side of the big pond) is becoming more important than ever. It'll be one big adventure for sure! Good luck with your life change!

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #12
PFSGATORS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
You guys and your too hot and humid comments- really? uggg

You can ride dirt year round, you can play every sport year round, golf year round, race off road year round. The best fishing, water sports ect in the country, and year round. And let's be honest, riding PAVEMENT is boring by nature unless you are on a sport bike. Auggie is an ocean front community, there is always an ocean breeze.
PFSGATORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #13
beaterktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
If your retired who cares about the heat it's not like your out digging ditches. Omg it's hot let's go get a cocktail and head to the pool.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #14
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSGATORS View Post
You guys and your too hot and humid comments- really? uggg

You can ride dirt year round, you can play every sport year round, golf year round, race off road year round. The best fishing, water sports ect in the country, and year round. And let's be honest, riding PAVEMENT is boring by nature unless you are on a sport bike. Auggie is an ocean front community, there is always an ocean breeze.
I have to side with Gators here. Been in the North Florida area my whole life. What I have noticed is that humans have an amazing capability to adapt to temperature. That said, I have noticed it is much easier to adapt to heat than it is to cold. Heat is uncomfortable, cold is down right painful. The beauty of the east coast is the water is warm. The west coast water is way too cold to enjoy. So if you are even thinking of spending time around the water St Augustine would be very nice.

Good luck
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #15
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 6,092
Why is it you never hear of anyone retiring to the north? Its not humid or hot up there...

BTW guys you are all making in sound like FL is great. That only serves to increase the Florida population with Yankees.....

I don't live in Augie but I really like the town and area. Cant speak to local economy.

Good luck ....

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote