User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
bradluke0 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
employment

I have a small business in Clearwater and we are looking to hire another person to train . We test HVAC systems so some technical ability is a plus . Will need reliable transportation . Would rather hire an inmate than someone off the street . PM me if interested . Thx , Brad
bradluke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
if only you were closer. i currently work as a hvac installer/tech and am looking to change companies.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
ex250mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I'm not interested in moving right now. But if a guy was wanting to change careers what advice would you guys with HVAC experience give?

I've been welding the past 10 years. I'm ready for a change.
ex250mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
bradluke0 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My friend owns an Hvac / test and balance firm in Ft Myers if you want info . Let's see , advice ...hmmm . I think the controls or test and balance fields are probably the least physical work . Was not a concern at 30 but later can be a factor .
Old 02-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Zrexrob
Fla Mountains...yep!

Oddometer: 1,730
I've been doing hvac controls for 17yrs now...skip the T&B stuff

Seven deadly sins Seven ways to win Seven holy paths to hell And your trip begins...
Zrexrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex250mike View Post
I'm not interested in moving right now. But if a guy was wanting to change careers what advice would you guys with HVAC experience give?

I've been welding the past 10 years. I'm ready for a change.
I've been at it 6 years now. Controls is the fun stuff. If I could find a niche in controls I'd jump ship. Joe average HVAC tech spends way too much time behind the windshield and on call... imho. I personally stay away from residential. Working currently for a hospital and could easily work well into retirement age.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
mceee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I think this is really cool of you Brad! Times are hard, and you may very well be the answer to a fellow brothers prayers.
mceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #8
ex250mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by St_rydr View Post
Joe average HVAC tech spends way too much time behind the windshield and on call... imho. I personally stay away from residential.
That is what I've heard from other folks also. But how does one start a career in the field? It seems residential is where most of the entry level work is.

I've also been told commercial refrigeration is good work. However, I'm not sure what I need to do to get my foot in the door.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
bradluke0 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just hoping I can find someone who wants to learn T+B and start a new career . Someone who rides is a plus as we have a " company " trip to Hatfield once a year . Mike ...If I was looking to get into HVAC I would get into controls or T+B . Service work is a hard job and is OK for the younger guys , for us older guys its a PIA. I have many contacts in the trades , if you need help let me know .
Old 02-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #10
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradluke0 View Post
My friend owns an Hvac / test and balance firm in Ft Myers if you want info . Let's see , advice ...hmmm . I think the controls or test and balance fields are probably the least physical work . Was not a concern at 30 but later can be a factor .
I'd really appreciate that!

Mike most HVAC outfits that do residential also do commercial refrigeration. Apply as a helper and work your way up. Ive been out of the game for about 14 years where I spent that time as a Chrysler tech. 4 months as a install helper and I'm ready to be a lead tech. This stuff isn't rocket science, most of the stuff you deal with is real simple technology. When you apply make sure you make it clear what you goal is and what the time frame is that you expect to reach that goal. Pay attention to their pay scale as well. I used to work for a company that paid hourly and by the piece. They started me at $17.50 an hour plus piece. It was good money. As a helper I made $75 per install on top of my hourly wage. So I'd go to work at 7:30 and get done at 1 and bring home about $175 that day. There would be days that we would do two systems a day or do duct replacement, install UV lights etc. I used to bring home over $1,000 a week at that place. Now at the place I'm at I misunderstood when I got hired that they don't pay by the piece. I don't care what I make an hour, if I'm done by 11-12 I'm not making good paychecks.

That is one of the benefits of working in the HVAC field tho.... It's all the same stuff and there is a company on every corner. If you ever feel like you aren't going anywhere in this business its your fault cause there is plenty of opportunity.

Where do you live? I think I remember you living in cape coral right? If so I can probably get you in at my work, but the pay isn't great. Great place to work tho and get your hands wet, boss is a super good guy to.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #11
ex250mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
I'd really appreciate that!

Mike most HVAC outfits that do residential also do commercial refrigeration. Apply as a helper and work your way up. Ive been out of the game for about 14 years where I spent that time as a Chrysler tech. 4 months as a install helper and I'm ready to be a lead tech. This stuff isn't rocket science, most of the stuff you deal with is real simple technology. When you apply make sure you make it clear what you goal is and what the time frame is that you expect to reach that goal. Pay attention to their pay scale as well. I used to work for a company that paid hourly and by the piece. They started me at $17.50 an hour plus piece. It was good money. As a helper I made $75 per install on top of my hourly wage. So I'd go to work at 7:30 and get done at 1 and bring home about $175 that day. There would be days that we would do two systems a day or do duct replacement, install UV lights etc. I used to bring home over $1,000 a week at that place. Now at the place I'm at I misunderstood when I got hired that they don't pay by the piece. I don't care what I make an hour, if I'm done by 11-12 I'm not making good paychecks.

That is one of the benefits of working in the HVAC field tho.... It's all the same stuff and there is a company on every corner. If you ever feel like you aren't going anywhere in this business its your fault cause there is plenty of opportunity.

Where do you live? I think I remember you living in cape coral right? If so I can probably get you in at my work, but the pay isn't great. Great place to work tho and get your hands wet, boss is a super good guy to.
Thats good info thanks!

I live in Deland right now and am currently working in Edgewater. I'll keep my eyes peeled for HVAC jobs willing to train. Is this something where tech school helps? Or, is that just a waste of money?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #12
bradluke0 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tech school can help quite a bit , especially safety wise . A bunch of guys can teach you how to read volts and amps . Very few will teach you how to do it without hurting yourself or someone else . Going to A/C tech school was probably the best decision I ever made .
Old 02-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
headednw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
What kind of welding Mike ?
headednw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
ex250mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry for the hijack!

Thanks to this thread I'm looking into Daytona state. They have an HVAC program. Since I only work weekends right now is a good time to go back to college.

I need to check and see if I can get tuition reimbursement from work.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #15
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,864
Check with the school, and see if you can apply for a Pell Grant. I did this when I took the HVAC training at CFCC, and was reimbursed for 100% of my tuition and books.
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote