ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2015, 05:21 AM   #1
tapp1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Importing New V-Strom 650 from Canada

I was the Montreal Motorcycle Show this past weekend and noticed a particular Canadian dealer had very aggressive pricing on the 2015 V-Stroms. In Canada they sell essentially a 'base' spoked wheel V-strom 650 that we can't get in the USA.
The dealer was selling this for $8,000 CAD. With the exchange rate at 25%. This bike is $6,000 USD!. So I was curious if any inmates had insight on the process of importing. I know I need to use a broker to get the bike across.

Where are the V-Strom's assembled?
tapp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
You will need to find out how much duty you will have to pay at the US border...my guess is that the total will be about the same as you can buy one here.

This site says up to 2.4% of the purchase price:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...g-a-motorcycle
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
tapp1 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
You will need to find out how much duty you will have to pay at the US border...my guess is that the total will be about the same as you can buy one here.

This site says up to 2.4% of the purchase price:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...g-a-motorcycle
At 2.4% of $6,000 USD that is $144 bucks. So $6144 for a brand new bike with spoked wheels and ABS.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,834
If the rate keeps dropping maybe worth it.

$6421
https://www.google.com/search?q=%248...utf-8&oe=utf-8

How much in broker fees and transport costs? Foreign exchange fees on your dollars?
Are you in for $7500, more? $8000?

My guess is the XT ADV in the US can be had for under 10K from certain high volume dealers. http://www.hondaeasttoledo.com/inven...Ohio---2158751

These bikes have parts that can be sold off as new: Motech rack & pannier system, MRA windshield, Motech built factory crash bars.
I'd put the value at $1500 if these are pulled off as new (or you use and don't have to pay this vs the base Canadian model) and sold. All 2012 and older 650 owners can use these, so there is a market.

Comparing apples to apples:
-Canadian base model is $7500 (you hope,could be more) plus time & effort.
-US model is $8500 (ADV model minus the selling the parts). Could be less.

When you look at it that way the $ difference is not as great and could be as little as $500 after all is said and done.

Not saying it can't be done, nor it's not worth the time, but just look at the big pciture with all the expenses.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #5
tapp1 OP
Adventurer

Good points. Transport costs are minimal. A tank a fuel up, a tank back. I also have family that lives in PQ, which makes things easier. The broker fees I am guessing based other experiences should be under $100. Def have to research it more and see what other red tape there is.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
TypeSH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
You wouldn't have the factory warranty, if that matters to you. I've never used the factory warranty on any of my new bikes so I wouldn't put much value in it.
TypeSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
Tytan
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Have you asked if a Canadian dealer will actually sell you a new Strom ?

When the Canadian dollar was at par I looked at buying from the US and as a Canadian the US dealers would not sell me a new model. I have a friend that owns a large motorsport dealership in Canada and selling to a non Canadian is a big no no that can get their dealer rights pulled, I'm sure the US dealers have something similar. He even gets an earfull if he sells outside of his supposed territory. If it was used no problem but to buy new I would need to fake being an american, US address and drivers license. Which brings into the equation the sales tax if I had a US address I would have to pay the state sales tax, get the title then export the bike. You could have a Canadian buy the bike new then sell it to you right away but the original purchaser would have to pay the Canadian sales tax.

I did import a used vehicle from the US a few years ago and it was a very easy and painless process but it was a used vehicle.

Tytan screwed with this post 03-03-2015 at 06:14 PM
Tytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #8
tapp1 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytan View Post
Have you asked if a Canadian dealer will actually sell you a new Strom ?

When the Canadian dollar was at par I looked at buying from the US and as a Canadian the US dealers would not sell me a new model. I have a friend that owns a large motorsport dealership in Canada and selling to a non Canadian is a big no no that can get their dealer rights pulled, I'm sure the US dealers have something similar. He even gets an earfull if he sells outside of his supposed territory. If it was used no problem but to buy new I would need to fake being an american, US address and drivers license. Which brings into the equation the sales tax if I had a US address I would have to pay the state sales tax, get the title then export the bike. You could have a Canadian buy the bike new then sell it to you right away but the original purchaser would have to pay the Canadian sales tax.

I did import a used vehicle from the US a few years ago and it was a very easy and painless process but it was a used vehicle.
A solid question. I know they just sold a bike to someone outside of Canada, but not sure what country. I wouldn't pay sales tax in QC, but I would have to pay it when I register the bike in my home state.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:36 PM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapp1 View Post
A solid question. I know they just sold a bike to someone outside of Canada, but not sure what country. I wouldn't pay sales tax in QC, but I would have to pay it when I register the bike in my home state.
Sounds like you have a dealer in mind. Find out what their total OTD price will be, then add broker fees, import tax, foreign exchange fees, maybe some tranport fees and let us know what the bottom line is.

You can leave out your state/local taxes as they are subjective only to you.
I'm curious to the number.
Bikes in Canada were never cheaper than in the US, except for the recent exchange going on.

Canada also uses the metric system so your speedo system will be different.
Expect to be forever screwed up how fast you are going.
Butler Maps website:
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:11 AM   #10
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Sounds like you have a dealer in mind. Find out what their total OTD price will be, then add broker fees, import tax, foreign exchange fees, maybe some tranport fees and let us know what the bottom line is.

You can leave out your state/local taxes as they are subjective only to you.
I'm curious to the number.
Bikes in Canada were never cheaper than in the US, except for the recent exchange going on.

Canada also uses the metric system so your speedo system will be different.
Expect to be forever screwed up how fast you are going.
The speedo is probably switchable from metric to imperial (Digial). Someone who has a user manual and gives a damn can confirm that.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:39 AM   #11
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
It is completely switchable.
fragile_this_side_up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #12
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Yes it is switchable

The speedo display has options for USA and the rest of the modern world using metric!!!

I am surprized that a foreign national cannot buy a new bike in Canada. Don't they want foreign investment?

I had been considering flying in, buying a bike, doing the trans Canada- trail and selling the bike on the East coast then flying back home.

If I understood the above posts then I can buy second hand, but not new???

Suzuki DRZ400 wide ratio ACT gearbox
Suzuki DL650 Glee
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
If I understood the above posts then I can buy second hand, but not new???
No, a non resident can buy anything you want in Canada, but some manufacturers place restrictions on exporting the purchased bike to the US. BMW, for instance, makes you sign a paper saying you will not export your K1300R to the US

When the US and CDN $ were at par, Kawasaki Honda, and Yamaha would penalize their dealers in the US if they sold a new bike to a Canadian resident who does not register it in the US. I did some extensive research on this and ended up buying a used Yamaha with only 60 miles on it and importing it to Canada. The Yamaha dealer would not sell me one if I was not going to register it in the US. These 3 companies were looking to protect their turf and wanted to keep the "Canada premium" on bikes sold here in Canada intact, even though the currency was at par. I saved $3000 buying it in the US. Importation cost: $220 for the paperwork and it was painless and quick.

The only company that didn't care was Suzuki. Buy anything Suzuki and export it to Canada, no problem.

As far as exporting this Vstrom to the US, the OP may have a problem with EPA requirements, as Japanese bikes sold in Canada do not come with the evap cannister. If the Vstrom sold in your state is 50 state compliant, you may be screwed.

The Yamaha that I purchased was 49 state compliant. Yamaha also has a California only model with has the evaporative canister.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #14
Xylx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Real problem is EPA

You can't legally import a bike from another country unless it meets USA emissions standards. But this is the exact same engine as the USA bike you say. Of course it is and there's even an exception for importing bikes that are substantially the same as USA models. All you have to do is get the manufacturer to sign off on the EPA paperwork declaring the engine is USA spec. And good luck with that. There are numerous threads on this issue on ADV. Some are very specific. Basically, it's hopeless, at least for new bikes.
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
It is completely switchable.
thanks for the clarification.
Butler Maps website: