User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #1
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,210
Zero DS ebike

Loong time no post. Not even sure this is the best forum ? Many years ago I up and sold my BMW GS1150 Adv, KTM 640Adv. and Husky 450. Moved to a rural area of Northern NSW, Australia and have been exploring a more Thoreau like life ah la Walden, with some modern twists, like living off the grid but having solar power, satellite internet etc

Loving living in rural Australia and retiring at 42 (now 47) and have avoided falling back into the temptation of a ICE dual sport bike BUT.. The Zero DS ebike has me intrigued and I thought I would post here, the font of all cycling information that's worthwhile and solicit opinion from those that may have ridden one or own one etc

Aside from the obvious range anxiety has anyone straddled one ? And what do they think. One thing that appeals is the silence !
I am very early into my exploration of getting one, they just landed not long ago in Australia and an email to the nearest distributor (3 hours drive) hasn't solicited a response... and that's about as far as I've got

I live in DS nirvana at the end of a 10km unsealed road but would mostly use the bike to commute 45km one way to town once a fortnight, down to my local pub (12km ) etc as well as some loops on dirt roads. Was hoping for handling like a larger DS ? Not looking for light thumper style single track riding. Recharging would be solar at home mostly. What about when traveling, accommodation places okay about allowing people to recharge ?

I did do a search via tapatalk but that turned up empty so if anyone has some links to subjects already post that the search didn't find, that would be great.
Trevor S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:06 AM   #2
ultrarnr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I have not ridden a DS but I own a SR. The biggest difference you will notice with the DS compared to an ICE bike is the power delivery that electric provides. With all of the torque all of the time you are no longer concerned with engine RPM and gearing. Just twist and go. Power delivery is far smoother than anything you will experience with a ICE bike. For dirt roads the suspension will be fine, heck, I would ride my SR on dirt roads. The only maint there is to just check tire pressure and belt tension once in awhile. If you are comfortable with the range I say go for it.
ultrarnr is offline   Reply With Quote