User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2005, 10:56 PM   #196
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
G'Day Recon,

Yeah, unfortunately I have sold my 1000, but there are a few things that might be worth a look if you were interested in some off road exploration. Bear in mind that these modifications still won't make it a true dirt bike, but they will allow you to venture into a lot of places that would be off limits to an ordinary road bike.

No doubt others will be able to add to this list too.

Tyres - TKC-80's seem to be the go, particular for inspiring confidence in the front end. The back one certainly helps but a big bike with 100hp is always going to break traction in a hurry if you don't respect the throttle. They are good on dry bitumen but it pays to watch them in the wet. They wear out quick too.

Suspension - Depending on your weight, a set of springs might help as would lightening the rebound in the forks for off road use.

Handlebars - The standard bars flex a lot which is a bit disconcerting in the rough stuff. A set of Renthals or similar are a cheap, robust solution. Acerbis Rallyguards can be mounted up relatively easily too if you buy the right type of bar.

Crashbars - Gotta have em. Givi's seem really solid and fit well with the rest of the bike. SW Motech also has a set which allows you mount a skid plate/crashbar combination which would give piece of mind in the real rough stuff.

Radiator / Oil Cooler Protection - I bought a set of Radguards for mine and have been impressed with them. The oil cooler is a bit exposed from the factory and if you weren't going to opt for the Motech skidplate I reckon something like this would be worthwile.

Gearing - Standard gearing (on the 1000) is 17/41 and it is pretty tall for dirt work. A 16T front makes things a lot easier on the clutch hand.

Contact - The Suzuki plastics held up really well on my bike but a bit of contact in high use areas and a liberal coat of polish every now and then will certainly help out in the long run.

Screen - This may sound stupid, but I found it easier to overcome the hurdle of riding such a big bike in the bush when I took the screen off. I guess the lack of distractions made it feel more like a dirt bike and therefore I rode it like one. Might not work for everyone but I found it to be helpful.

Hope this helps.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:29 PM   #197
sacdjh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider
G'Day Recon,

Radiator / Oil Cooler Protection - I bought a set of Radguards for mine and have been impressed with them. The oil cooler is a bit exposed from the factory and if you weren't going to opt for the Motech skidplate I reckon something like this would be worthwile.

Hope this helps.
I really like the looks of the Radguards. They're a bit pricey ($150 US), but they look well made. I'm sure there are plenty of them in use in NZ, OZ - what's the general opinion on quality, level of protection (the grill is aluminum...(?)), etc. Thanks for the advice.
sacdjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:09 PM   #198
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacdjh
I really like the looks of the Radguards. They're a bit pricey ($150 US), but they look well made. I'm sure there are plenty of them in use in NZ, OZ - what's the general opinion on quality, level of protection (the grill is aluminum...(?)), etc. Thanks for the advice.
I had no problems with them and others I have spoken to report the same. I think Touratech also does a set which might be cheaper in the US but I am not sure what they are like?
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #199
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
I think Twisted Throttle has a rad guard for the 650 on their site.
I have the Motech crashbars and skidplate setup so I don't need a oil cooler guard.
with winter coming on I may fashion some sort of rad guard on my own.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:28 AM   #200
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,248
Jamie,

Noticed your pics on Rt181, store at the top of the mountain ?
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #201
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 406
V-Strom with Mtn Bike

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/laducati05/p03.htm

Just damn. The accessory every Strom owner needs!

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:19 PM   #202
hmoro
Morocyler

Oddometer: 69
Vstom

Vstrom at Santa Maria del Oro

Old 10-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #203
Evil 1
Heathen

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck

Jeff

That's me!! What's the skinny on uploading photo's with a Mac.
I'll show some other shot's of my 'Strom.
Evil 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:50 PM   #204
FT BSTRD
Welcome to The Dispersive

Oddometer: 4,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck

Jeff
WTF?
FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:40 PM   #205
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil 1
That's me!! What's the skinny on uploading photo's with a Mac. I'll show some other shot's of my 'Strom.
Nice rig! I gotta hand it to you, that's the most inventive loading of a bike I've ever seen.

Anyone else top this?

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:24 PM   #206
Evil 1
Heathen

I got my inspiration from Ricky. I had seen him riding around SF and the East Bay on his KTM's and his Beemer freakshow he rides. I love mountain biking and wanted a way to carry my bike to the trail quickly and efficiently. I studied Ricky's design and others trying to find a set-up with the least amount of compromise. I believe mine is superior mainly for one reason: I don't have to dis-assemble the bike. I have seen all these other set-ups where one or two wheels are removed to mount the bike. The last thing I want to do is futz around with my bicycle after a hard trail ride. I also have a 45 liter top box and can mount my other side box, giving me
excellent storage capabilites to swap bike gear and lock my M/C gear up when I'm on the trail. In mounting the bike, I wanted the weight low, every other design is carrying a wimpy framed cross country or spindly hardtail. My bike weighs 39 pounds!!! And it's designed to be relatively capable on black diamond resort trails, so it's heft was best kept nearer to it's the 'Stroms center of gravity. Best part, it's bolted to SW Motech quick disconnect racks and comes off in 2 minutes without tools (I can use a quarter to remove the racks). How ya like them apples? Oh yeah it sucks to ride all mounted up, but you get used to it quick.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:38 PM   #207
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Are you considering going into production with the bike carrier?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:06 PM   #208
Evil 1
Heathen

No the liability would be too big. Can you think of all the cool things we could buy if we lived in a society free of frivolous lawsuits?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:16 PM   #209
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil 1
No the liability would be too big. Can you think of all the cool things we could buy if we lived in a society free of frivolous lawsuits?
yeah, kids would still be burning to death in flammable pajamas, you could still by Ford Pintos, Thalidomide would still be on the market, and asbestos would still be available everywhere

what a wonderful world to live in

and now, back to our regularly scheduled programs

here is the Strom I am looking to trade my ST1100 for Sunday

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #210
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer
here is the Strom I am looking to trade my ST1100 for Sunday