Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #7216
arkansas adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I love my Vee..... but im thinkin on a Wee as a replacement for both Vee and KLR.
wish I could afford a 2012 wee

arkansas adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #7217
crosscountry
Bear went over Mountain

Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Lane AR View Post
I love my Vee..... but im thinkin on a Wee as a replacement for both Vee and KLR.
wish I could afford a 2012 wee
I've had a KLR and a Wee. The Wee is not a replacement unless you are very light off road or stick to dirt roads. I really liked the KLR, and it treated me well, but I did things on it that I would only do on the Wee if it were necessary. The Wee is only 50 lbs lighter than the Vee.

The Wee is plenty strong for a passenger and luggage, so don't worry about that.

I went for the thrill of adventure and the desire to explore - Charlie Duke
crosscountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #7218
MiloBramble
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
2005 Wee

MiloBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #7219
arkansas adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
I've had a KLR and a Wee. The Wee is not a replacement unless you are very light off road or stick to dirt roads. I really liked the KLR, and it treated me well, but I did things on it that I would only do on the Wee if it were necessary. The Wee is only 50 lbs lighter than the Vee.

The Wee is plenty strong for a passenger and luggage, so don't worry about that.
I rarely ride anything on my KLR anymore that I can not handle on my Vee. I used to often. Normally when I do its 10 min on a rare weekend long ride that my wife does not attend and those sections are easily routed around. Just like the idea of better fuel mileage and lower center of gravity.... and my wife has a KLR 650 that I can ride any time . Prbly would not be any more or less happy that with the Vee tho. anyway..... back on subject. Bring on more pics
arkansas adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #7220
Oakbluffcamper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
New Vstrom as of last Saturday

I bought and picked up a New 2012 Wee at Big St. Charles Motorsports (St. Louis) Got a good deal and though they might run out 2012s and might have have to buy a 2013 for more bucks.

I was looking for a used 2012 but they gave me a price I could live with.

Now if I can find some time to break it in.
Oakbluffcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #7221
waterboybueche
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Congrats!!!

Congrats on your new bike. Have fun and be safe out there...

I was just in your neck of the woods last week. My son just graduated from Army bootcamp at Ft Leonard Wood.
It was a quick couple days, didnt get to see much...

Although i did make sure to hit Cracker Barrel and Rally's...

Congrats again!!
waterboybueche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #7222
mmonce
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
from a '78 Airhead to this

Going from a '78 BMW Airhead to the '12 V-Strom is a welcome change.

mmonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #7223
MiloBramble
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakbluffcamper View Post
I bought and picked up a New 2012 Wee at Big St. Charles Motorsports (St. Louis) Got a good deal and though they might run out 2012s and might have have to buy a 2013 for more bucks.

I was looking for a used 2012 but they gave me a price I could live with.

Now if I can find some time to break it in.
B-E-A-Utiful...
MiloBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #7224
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
i've had a klr and a wee. The wee is not a replacement unless you are very light off road or stick to dirt roads. I really liked the klr, and it treated me well, but i did things on it that i would only do on the wee if it were necessary. The wee is only 50 lbs lighter than the vee.

The wee is plenty strong for a passenger and luggage, so don't worry about that.
+ 1
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #7225
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:

50 lb is a BIG deal on a motorcycle. Saying the Wee is "only" 50 lb lighter is nonsensical
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #7226
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Haven't posted a pic here yet. 2006 I picked up from another inmate in June.
yeroc40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #7227
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,264
New panniers

I got a new set of welded aluminum panniers for my '04 Vee from MuffinTop Industries.

These appear to be very solidly built, and are the best price I could find for these kind of saddlebags. I got the smaller, 34 liter size bags as they are 8.5" wide and I can't really see needing more than 100 liters of storage (two 34's plus a JC Whitney top box). I also sprung for the powder coating, more for the interior than the exterior (keeps your stuff from getting aluminum oxide all over it). I mounted them using my existing SW Motech rack re-using the Happy Trails puck system that I already had from my old seahorse SE-720 cases.

For everyday use, I'll stick with the indestructible (and ultra cheap) Seahorse cases and keep these for just when going on a camping trip, where I'll need the extra space. It only takes a few minutes to switch the pucks over, or I could spring for another $50 for another set if I really wanted to avoid that.

Here's the same bike with the Seahorse cases:

Old 11-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #7228
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
You will find the top loading option to be very useful when camping. Currently I have the side opening Givi cases. Although I can just real quickly take it off and set it down to open it, I went for 8 months with the top loading kind of boxes. Quick detachable, top loading cases to me are the preferred way to go.

P.S. I like your garage.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #7229
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave View Post
You will find the top loading option to be very useful when camping. Currently I have the side opening Givi cases. Although I can just real quickly take it off and set it down to open it, I went for 8 months with the top loading kind of boxes. Quick detachable, top loading cases to me are the preferred way to go.

P.S. I like your garage.
Yeah, I agree on all counts. I actually have a set of Givi E36 sidebags, and the adapters to use them with the SW Motech rack. But they are so wide, and not top loading, I have relegated those to use on my VFR. These aluminum panniers are what I wanted for big trips & heavy loading. For everyday riding I certainly don't need to lug anything that big around

I had just finished cleaning up the garage before mounting up the cases today. Normally there is a bunch more clutter in there. The grandsons' toys seem to reproduce like rabbits. You can see a couple sitting out there. And then when SWMBO puts her Jeep in the right half, well I just get the left side for the bikes. And of course this time of year the snow-blower gets the front row.

I'd really like to build a nice, dedicated motorcycle garage and man cave out back behind the house, but haven't found any big gold nuggets lately nor hit the lottery yet.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #7230
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
50 lb is a BIG deal on a motorcycle. Saying the Wee is "only" 50 lb lighter is nonsensical
Its only about 30lbs. I've owned a Vee and a Wee and they both handled the same off-road. A 490lb motorcycle doesn't feel any lighter offroad than a 520lb motorcycle. If "light" is important to a rider, I always recommend going with a true DS bike like an XR or DR. Been there...done that.... Love being able to ride 13 hours comfortably on my Wee.
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote