Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #16
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Well it could be good or bad depending on your taste on bikes. But the point is they are a classic company. They have been around for quite some time, and are one of the first major scoot companies.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I thought I'd like a SH150i until I found out the price. I caught a special price on a left over Zuma 125 for $2450 and bought 2.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Topless... the zuma is a great scooter but it is no SH150. My buddy just bought one and couldn't be happier. And he is finally riding, and he has had 5 other scooters. But I totally agree, the sh is not priced correctly

BTCN you WRITE such great posts, but have such a simple SN? WTF does your SN mean.

I (along with every person on totalruck,) would love a 150 ruck.

And I just want to let everyone who owns an old honda CT90 or 110. I just looked at a few of these in person this weekend, and in spite of the way they are priced in the used market, the DO NOT have solid gold .i really took a good look at the fraMes and ya know what, they just aren't made of gold. Yep, I was surprized myself. I looked carefully and I am sad to report......NOT MADE OF SOLID GOLD!

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #19
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna bECO View Post
Topless... the zuma is a great scooter but it is no SH150. My buddy just bought one and couldn't be happier. And he is finally riding, and he has had 5 other scooters. But I totally agree, the sh is not priced correctly

BTCN you WRITE such great posts, but have such a simple SN? WTF does your SN mean.

You mean my user name, BTCN? Actually this was originally part of my Email address and my name. The first and third letters are my initials for my name, Billy Conway. I just used the other parts because they were part of my email. I don't no exactly why, I could have just used my name, but what the hell, couldn't think of anything else at the time.

And for the SH, I do believe it is a great scooter, no doubt about that, but I think a sportster or burgman 650 would be more fun!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
And for the SH, I do believe it is a great scooter, no doubt about that, but I think a sportster or burgman 650 would be more fun!
Yep, no shit. You can buy a post 2004 (first year of the rubber mount engine) for less than 5k here in phoenix.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #21
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
I just bought a new, leftover Kymco People 150 for $2295 on sale.Out the door price was $2390 and that includes everything. This Honda may be a better scooter, but the Kymco line is known for quality and reliability, and they come with a TWO YEAR warranty. I could not turn this scooter down.
My wife's SYM HD200 is certainly faster.It's a water cooled four valve head machine, and a hoot to ride too.But I just need a reliable scooter that can cruise at 50-55 without undue stress to the bike.

But I won't get to see the People 150 till February, because it's going to be based on the Big Island of Hawaii at our place near Keauu in the Puna District. There is a dealker in Kona, Kiser Motorcycles,and that's where I bought it. Called them two nights ago to ask about prices on Kymco Super 8 150, People 150, and Agility 125, and they were having a sale on the People 150.They had four left, and are having a grand opening shindig at their new location. I bought it that night.

I would have considered another SYM except 1.no dealer on the Big Island, and 2.SYM seems to be withdrawing from the US. It's sounding like Carter Bros is out and noone is stepping forward to become the US importer.I've also heard that SYM isn't too interested in getting back into our very fickle and non-too scooter oriented US market. Some dealers are still selling 2009s and even 2008s despite the fact that the SYM HD200 for instance, may be the best scooter out there in it's class.

we're moving to the Big Island in a while and shipping the wife's SYM over (and maybe or maybe not my Sportster).
jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #22
tortoise2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
SYM seems to be withdrawing from the US. It's sounding like Carter Bros is out and noone is stepping forward to become the US importer.
Related post.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #23
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Thanks for that link. I hope it's true.Many SYM owners are trying to get parts from Canadian dealers, or even from Taiwan as US dealers don't have/can't get parts.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #24
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Related post.
that is good news. i want a SYM, one day

i have also read in places Lance's SYM made / based Cali Classic is just their first offering of rebranded SYM scoots, and more are to follow
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #25
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wait, you mean the bikes that say 2010 and below are out of the US market at this time? It the metropolitan cut as well? It says 2009 Metro, and nothing further. I guess the Ruckus out sold it big time?

It makes perfect sense that it is cut from the US market. The 125 is better than the 110 and 150. The 110 is great price but it is to slow for fast roads, and the SH150i is no faster than the 125 but sold for twice the price.

JerseyBiker, it is really not all that great of a ride? Hmm, what a wast. The Sym HD200 is the way to go over it. 72-75 MPH and a whole lot cheaper. And for the jackass picking the line up, all I know is that they are also a stupid jackass who didn't pay attention or even take business in collage. They also seem to care a bit more about cash than what riders want. They should browse major scooter and motorcycle websites like this where people talk about their bikes and what they would like.

Its so obvious that Honda is a great bike company, but they don't always know what to build! For example, how many people leave a Ruckus COMPLETELY stock? Almost no one. It is so damn obvious that we need a 150 cc GY6 Ruckus! Even the chinese know that, making the 150 clone version! So why can't they learn how something called pricing correctly works and build some new smaller displacement scoots. Bring back the Helix sort of scoot, but with a 300 cc or so engine, maybe the SH300i engine! I don't know, but just make some new, cool creative bikes! Many people would like a 400 Helix or 400 Reflex as well. I wish we could get a very large cult of riders and contact Honda or something!
what i can't figure is why such a low interest in selling scooters in America? or at least their seems to be

it would seem motorcycles are products that sort of sell themselves. if you want to ride one, you get one. they have all sorts of marketing for people ready to buy. that is great

but scooters are (or can be) a whole other market. Americans don't seem very familiar with scooters, and if a big company like Honda or Yamaha thought to get them familiar by throwing some money at marketing, you would think it would be good for their motorcycle business, too

it troubles me that one of the ONLY things people think of when they think about scooters is "cheap on gas." when i first told my friends and family i was giving up my car and going scooter full time, they were confused

"what!?! they only go 30mph"

"you mean to ride on the street? like down Sunset Blvd and to the San Fernando Valley?"

well, yeah! what do you think? just to the mall and back? jeez

people still think of scooters as toys, when in fact they are well built, easy to ride (many don't even realize they are full automatic), serious transportation machines. and to top it all off, they are a crap load of FUN, FUN, FUN!

i am convinced every garage in America would have at least one if they knew the full and true benefits of owning one or two or three of them. but instead of informing the public, we get major players like Honda cutting models from their line of offerings and selling $4500 150cc scooters that see you OTD for over 5K. and the 125cc PCX is sold at "discount" for around 4k OTD

Honda is NOT Vespa, and the way they price their scoots, it seems they want that sort of association. instead of doing business like that, they should promote their scooters as AFFORDABLE, practical, and fun transportation machines for everyday use. sell them at Kymco and SYM prices (their real competition) and partner up with MSF for FREE instruction on every purchase. get AMERCIA SCOOTERING!!

but i know its just a dream :(
Old 12-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #26
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
what i can't figure is why such a low interest in selling scooters in America? or at least their seems to be

it would seem motorcycles are products that sort of sell themselves. if you want to ride one, you get one. they have all sorts of marketing for people ready to buy. that is great

but scooters are (or can be) a whole other market. Americans don't seem very familiar with scooters, and if a big company like Honda or Yamaha thought to get them familiar by throwing some money at marketing, you would think it would be good for their motorcycle business, too

it troubles me that one of the ONLY things people think of when they think about scooters is "cheap on gas." when i first told my friends and family i was giving up my car and going scooter full time, they were confused

"what!?! they only go 30mph"

"you mean to ride on the street? like down Sunset Blvd and to the San Fernando Valley?"

well, yeah! what do you think? just to the mall and back? jeez

people still think of scooters as toys, when in fact they are well built, easy to ride (many don't even realize they are full automatic), serious transportation machines. and to top it all off, they are a crap load of FUN, FUN, FUN!

i am convinced every garage in America would have at least one if they knew the full and true benefits of owning one or two or three of them. but instead of informing the public, we get major players like Honda cutting models from their line of offerings and selling $4500 150cc scooters that see you OTD for over 5K. and the 125cc PCX is sold at "discount" for around 4k OTD

Honda is NOT Vespa, and the way they price their scoots, it seems they want that sort of association. instead of doing business like that, they should promote their scooters as AFFORDABLE, practical, and fun transportation machines for everyday use. sell them at Kymco and SYM prices (their real competition) and partner up with MSF for FREE instruction on every purchase. get AMERCIA SCOOTERING!!

but i know its just a dream :(

+1000 on that! Honda has some real stupid marketers at this point. They don't really care about this. $5,000 out the door is ridicules for a 150 cc anything than can barley go on the interstate! You would be better off with an 80s 150 cc scooter. They are just as fast!

They are just full of it. Your right, they can't even begin to see how many sales they are loosing doing crap like this. Look at what they used to do. Back in the 60s through late 80s, they did amazing. They came out with the Cubs and Trails and such, and completely changed the image of motorcycling. It was no, you don't have to have a big 900 pound twin or CB750 and be a motorcycle gang member or total bad ass to ride on 2 wheels. They were fun, small light little motor bikes and scoots. Anyone could easily learn to ride them. Great price, easy low maintenance, and fun as hell.

Then they had their big bikes, which were just a dream to ride. They were a big company and did wonders to the motorcycling industry.

But now they get some marketers that don't care about the market! Big bikes are very threatening to many people, but a little 150 cc scoot is perfect! But at $5,000 and some unusual characteristics, it is not going to happen. The PCX is a bit over the price limit for a 125 cc, and it can't even hit the highway legally nor comfortably in most states. It looks like a sports bike, which is sort of cool though.

If Honda were smart, they would simply price the SH at $2900-$3,100 or so, and bring some 125 cc modern auto clutch 4 speed cub type bikes, or wave 125 to the market priced well, and work from there on their scoot line!

And yea, most people have very little to no knowledge of scooters. Many are surprised to see one pass them at 50 mph or so, not even to speak of highways.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:22 AM   #27
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,729
Quote:
+1000 on that! Honda has some real stupid marketers at this point. They don't really care about this. $5,000 out the door is ridicules for a 150 cc anything than can barley go on the interstate! You would be better off with an 80s 150 cc scooter. They are just as fast!

They are just full of it. Your right, they can't even begin to see how many sales they are loosing doing crap like this. Look at what they used to do. Back in the 60s through late 80s, they did amazing. They came out with the Cubs and Trails and such, and completely changed the image of motorcycling. It was no, you don't have to have a big 900 pound twin or CB750 and be a motorcycle gang member or total bad ass to ride on 2 wheels. They were fun, small light little motor bikes and scoots. Anyone could easily learn to ride them. Great price, easy low maintenance, and fun as hell.

Then they had their big bikes, which were just a dream to ride. They were a big company and did wonders to the motorcycling industry.

But now they get some marketers that don't care about the market! Big bikes are very threatening to many people, but a little 150 cc scoot is perfect! But at $5,000 and some unusual characteristics, it is not going to happen. The PCX is a bit over the price limit for a 125 cc, and it can't even hit the highway legally nor comfortably in most states. It looks like a sports bike, which is sort of cool though.

If Honda were smart, they would simply price the SH at $2900-$3,100 or so, and bring some 125 cc modern auto clutch 4 speed cub type bikes, or wave 125 to the market priced well, and work from there on their scoot line!

And yea, most people have very little to no knowledge of scooters. Many are surprised to see one pass them at 50 mph or so, not even to speak of highways.

I guess it comes down to the bean counters. If there so called research doesn't say it''ll sell then they don't bring it here. Hell if they sold the ct110 here it would sell at least 20 000 of them or more a year. I don't understand why honda in india can make a sell a 125cc scooter for a grand but wants so much for the same engine in a different bike.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #28
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Honda Japan has an affiliated company (Honda Italia) who designed and builds the SH150i in Italy. It is more expensive to manufacture products in Italy compared with designing/building/shipping products made in Taiwan or China.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #29
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
"And Vespas are like the Harley of scooters!"
That's good ?
Its good if you want to impress the chicks.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #30
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
Honda Japan has an affiliated company (Honda Italia) who designed and builds the SH150i in Italy. It is more expensive to manufacture products in Italy compared with designing/building/shipping products made in Taiwan or China.
well then they should do what Piaggio does.....and make stuff in China and Taiwan

and the Elite and PCX are not made in Italy, but still fall right in line with Italian made pricing

the Elite should be MSRP'd at $2400 imo. $2500, tops. and the PCX at $3,000, max. idc if the Yamaha Zuma does cost $3250 for a 125cc bike

and while we're on the subject, wtf is up with that! $3250 for a 125cc made in China? or is it Taiwan?

ah who knows?! all i know is i went to a Yamaha dealer and they asked me for $4200 OTD for a Yamaha Vino 125. said they couldn't go lower then $3800. after all that was just $900 above MSRP, and with tax, freight, prep. charges, etc...i was getting a real bargain!

fine. a couple months later i got a brand new Kymco Agility 125 for $1600 OTD with a better warranty from a better dealer. oh well....