Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #31
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Its good if you want to impress the chicks.
+1.

DudeClone, I agree. Why buy a Honda or yamaha made in China or Taiwan over a same quality bike made in china or tawain? Just cause it says Honda? I agree, a Kymco or Sym is a much better deal, and hell they are faster.

They wanted $4,200 for a VINO 125 out the door? I can't believe that. A vino 125 will barley do 50-55 MPH tops stock. I would rather buy a big bike for half the price. Hell, if you are just looking for a commuter that is reliable, just go on CL and buy an old CB450 for $1,500 in beautiful condition, and laugh past those that paid $4,000 for a scoot while they are in the right lane getting overtaken!

Or, like you did, buy a Kymco or such. I bet that little agility will be just as reliable as the Hondas! But you paid much less, that was a much better buy. It is also much faster than the Vino!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #32
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
SH150i overpriced

Howdy,

Our local Honda dealer has an '09 Sh150i with just 33 miles (used) for $4400 otd. Too steep for me and carries no warranty. Call me old fashioned, but I like a warranty.
I'm tempted to bring a wad of cash and try to tlak him down, but my budget is limited. If I talk him down to..say, $4,000 otd, what would I use for money to buy a helmet & gloves! LOL.
Our local Yammy dealer offered me a new Vino 125 for $2,600 otd, but I'm skittish about 10-inch tires. I think the PCX 125's tires a bit skinny for Louisiana's rutty roads. YMMV.

PS: I'm leaning toward the zuma 125, with it's fat tires.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #33
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

I would not go for the SH150i. They are already cut from production, and in a few years parts will be impossible to get. Plus, that is still way to much for a 150 cc. And no warranty is ridicules for that price! You should get a 10 year warranty at that price!

Sounds like you need a nice reliable bike in between 125 and 250 cc with a good price. If I were you, I would head over and take a look at Kymco's People 150. It also has 16" wheels and looks similar to the SH. But it is only $2,799, or around $3,000 OTD. It is reliable and will do 65 MPH. Kymco is a very high quality reliable company. In fact, I believe they had something to do with BMW, and they manufactured scoots for Honda for quite some time.

Here is the link to Kymco's line up:

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/index_onroad.html

Or look at SYMs. Also great machines. I would check out the HD125, only $2,698 and will reliably do 65-70 MPH. Fast for a 125! OR you could look at the HD 200, which hits 75 MPH or so.

http://www.sym-usa.com/

There is a huge world of scooters out there! The Zuma is better than the Vino, it has fuel injection [vs carburetor on the Vino] and is faster. It has a much bigger aftermarket as well. The Vino looks cool and classic, but the Zuma looks cool and in style. I would just narrow it down to 3-5 top scoots that you like, and try and test ride them all.

Oh and what are you planning on doing with the scoot? Just for around town, commuting, fun, etc?
Old 12-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #34
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Kymco? Sym? Not in Shreveport!

Howdy,

BTCN: You give good advice about Kymco & Sym. Sadly, local dealers are locking elbows and keeping them out of the isolated Shreveport, Louisiana area! Sheesh, I found a new Sym HD200 for $2500 in E. Texas ( a dealer for Sym), but it's 130 miles away and..I demand that whatever bike I have-that dealer be within 15 miles of my home. I can't fix a salad!
So that leaves yours truly with Honda and Yamaha for scooters (not counting Suzuki's big, 'spensive Burgman)
I used my old Daelim S2-125 for commuting to work, errand running and even servicing my gumball machine route here in Shreveport/ Bossier City, La. Our roads are in poor shape and we have ruts 2-5 inches wide between the slabs of pavement here. The Zuma 125's fat tires make it an attractive option. We've two Yammy dealers (although the nearest one is getting out of scooters). The lovely PCX 125's tires look bit narrow for my comfort-given the state of our roads.

LarryRickenbacker screwed with this post 12-11-2010 at 06:38 PM
Old 12-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #35
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hmm, so you are looking for a new Honda or Yamaha. What is your price range?
Old 12-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #36
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Under $4,000

Howdy,

I want a 125/ 150cc scoot for under $4,000. A Kymco dealer 55 miles West of here on I-20 has a lightly used People 150 for just $1600! Aaagh! I simply won't have a bike without a local dealer. 65 Miles East of here, in Monroe Louisana, they've a new '09 People S200 for $2800 otd. this bike appeals, but.... Interestingly, there's a new Kymco ATV dealer just 20 miles east of here. They told me they'd gladly perform routine maintenace on a kymco scooter for me.
My lovely Asian wife tells me: "No dealer, no scooter. We're aren't doing the Daelim/ orphan thing again!" And the law has been laid down in our house. ;)

LarryRickenbacker screwed with this post 12-11-2010 at 06:50 PM
Old 12-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #37
Sportsman Matt
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
The tough part is that the big 3 japanese motorcycle manufacturers (Honda,Suzuki,Yamaha) have been around since WWII. And when they first hit the shores here, you couldn't give one of those away. 50+ years later, now they are overpriced. And the GREED factor.

I went in to get a price on a Suzuki GZ250 Motorcycle today. The dealer was $400 over MSRP, claiming a price increase for the 2011 models.

Newsflash... The bike was a 2009 and we're still in 2010.

And the dealer wonders why they don't have customers buying stuff. Also had the Honda Rebel 250 priced out at about $500 over MSRP. And that wasn't including the destination charge, paperwork fees, or dealer prep.

Needless to say, my future bikes or scooters aren't coming from that dealer.

And from what I've been seeing from the Chinese manufacturers, for the price, I'll go with one of them over one of the Japanese named models for now.
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #38
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
well then they should do what Piaggio does.....and make stuff in China and Taiwan

and the Elite and PCX are not made in Italy, but still fall right in line with Italian made pricing

the Elite should be MSRP'd at $2400 imo. $2500, tops. and the PCX at $3,000, max. idc if the Yamaha Zuma does cost $3250 for a 125cc bike

and while we're on the subject, wtf is up with that! $3250 for a 125cc made in China? or is it Taiwan?

ah who knows?! all i know is i went to a Yamaha dealer and they asked me for $4200 OTD for a Yamaha Vino 125. said they couldn't go lower then $3800. after all that was just $900 above MSRP, and with tax, freight, prep. charges, etc...i was getting a real bargain!

fine. a couple months later i got a brand new Kymco Agility 125 for $1600 OTD with a better warranty from a better dealer. oh well....
And the Agility will run rings around the Vino. There's a dealer nearby that has a couple of leftover 2009 125 Vinos for sale at $1599 plus BS fees.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #39
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman Matt View Post
The tough part is that the big 3 japanese motorcycle manufacturers (Honda,Suzuki,Yamaha) have been around since WWII. And when they first hit the shores here, you couldn't give one of those away. 50+ years later, now they are overpriced. And the GREED factor.

I went in to get a price on a Suzuki GZ250 Motorcycle today. The dealer was $400 over MSRP, claiming a price increase for the 2011 models.

Newsflash... The bike was a 2009 and we're still in 2010.

And the dealer wonders why they don't have customers buying stuff. Also had the Honda Rebel 250 priced out at about $500 over MSRP. And that wasn't including the destination charge, paperwork fees, or dealer prep.

Needless to say, my future bikes or scooters aren't coming from that dealer.

And from what I've been seeing from the Chinese manufacturers, for the price, I'll go with one of them over one of the Japanese named models for now.
First, Suzuki just lowered the price on the GZ250 to $2999.So, don't let them forget that. A dealer not far from m,e has a new GZ for $2500 (no dought plus BS fees).

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #40
Sportsman Matt
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
First, Suzuki just lowered the price on the GZ250 to $2999.So, don't let them forget that. A dealer not far from m,e has a new GZ for $2500 (no dought plus BS fees).

jon
You know that, I know that, but the greedy dealers out there don't know that you know and I know the MSRP is lower.

What they are banking on is someone going in for the first time and paying more than what the MSRP is.

I'm headed over to a different dealer Monday to see what they are offering, they had a GZ250 listed at $2799 last time I stopped in about 2 months ago.

But to get back on the OP, the big thing is GREED, and that's what fuels these high prices. If the idiots at Honda can't realize they need to drop prices to be competitive, then they will be pricing themselves out of business. Unfortunately, there are several Chinese companies that are willing to take over in Honda's place if it ever gets to that point.
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #41
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

There are definitely several major Taiwan and Chinese companies definitely willing to do so, especially now that they are getting real good in the quality department! Wait till they make big "Real" bikes, like Touring, 1300 cc bikes, and so on. Then they will get great advertising, and Honda's screwed! I don't see this happening anytime real soon, but it is floating around out there!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #42
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna bECO View Post
Topless... the zuma is a great scooter but it is no SH150. My buddy just bought one and couldn't be happier. And he is finally riding, and he has had 5 other scooters. But I totally agree, the sh is not priced correctly

BTCN you WRITE such great posts, but have such a simple SN? WTF does your SN mean.

I (along with every person on totalruck,) would love a 150 ruck.

And I just want to let everyone who owns an old honda CT90 or 110. I just looked at a few of these in person this weekend, and in spite of the way they are priced in the used market, the DO NOT have solid gold .i really took a good look at the fraMes and ya know what, they just aren't made of gold. Yep, I was surprized myself. I looked carefully and I am sad to report......NOT MADE OF SOLID GOLD!
I own 2 CT-90's and they are fun. It's because of them I was interested in the Sh150i, but for $4500, I have a KLX400 supermoto (it's a converted dirt bike). I love 2 things that the Zuma has, EFI and electric start. If there was a way to make those work on a CT-90, it would be the best small bike made.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #43
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Price counter-offer from local dealer

Howdy,

Today I talked my local Honda dealer "down" a bit on a used Sh150i. It's got 33 miles on her. They've gone from $4,400 otd with no warranty to $4200 otd + 1 year warranty. What do ya'll think?
Interestingly, this is pretty much like selling it for it's current MSRP minus TT&L / and or other BS fees. Chime in. What would be your cash offer?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #44
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

$4,200 is still way to much for a 150 cc vehicle, in my opinion. You can have yourself a used Burgman 650 EX for $4,000 on CL, and that will do anything you need. But I see your point, you need a warranty. I personally think that you'd save yourself quite some cash by buying an 80s Honda Elite 150 or similar, and just paying the Honda dealer for the regular maintenance.

But if you have that kind of money, and you really don't have any desire for any more power anytime in the future, that is reasonable. You mentioned you want the big wheels, well you are going to have a hard time finding what you want in anything else.

Do you really want it? The SH150i, other than price is a really great machine. It is cool looking, and has a dead on speedometer. You should be able to hop on the highway and peg 65 MPH or 70 MPH with the wind at your back, although that is not bad my 1986 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe will do the same speed!

But Disk brakes, Honda fit and Finish, and Fuel Injection are all great features. If this is all you'll ever need, then I think it would suit you well. But if you, like me are that kind of guy that will in three months say maybe a "Little" more would be nice on the 55 MPH road! Maybe a 250 cc would be perfect! . Point is, I think you'll need a bigger engine at some point, why not now? If I were you, I'd get a Burgman 400 on CL for $3000. But if you don't think you'll ever need that kind of power and speed, go for it!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #45
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Burgman 650? Funny you ask..

Howdy,

BTCN: There's a local dealer with an '06 Burgman 650 listing for $4500. It's got 9,600 miles. I'm seriously considering a test-drive tomorrow. The wife is more keen on the burgy, as she wants 2-up riding. Hmm..