Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #46
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Now that sounds more like it! Its 125 MPH vs 65 MPH for about the same price! Your wife will enjoy the Burgmen ALOT more! Way more comfy with a huge seat, and you can't beat all that under seat storage!

btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #47
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Don't mince words!

Howdy,

BTCN: Now see here: If there's something you want to say, then come out and say it! ;)
Kelly blue book is a bit higher at $4900, but The Burgy is a bit out of my budget at $4500, but i'll cheerfully take a test ride. Kelly Blue book has the suggested retail of a used '10 Sh150i at $3,920. Interesting. More tomorrow.
A Car mechanic told me that he'd run from the Helix after that burnt oil-smelling test ride. The helix lists for $500 more than what they're asking, btw. Maybe the dealer knows something about that Helix afterall..
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #48
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thats true, but the Burg and be financed for at a very low interest rate if your dealer is good. You could Finance the whole thing, or just pay most in cash and pay a little over the months.

Well see how the test ride goes! I have only been on a test ride on a Burgman 400, not the 650. The 400 had plenty of power to spare. The thing got up to 70 MPH real quick, and I got it to about 95 MPH with a little left before I decided to back down! It would go real nice at an indicated 70-75 MPH, and sure didn't mind 80 MPH. So I can imagine the 650! That thing has a twin cylinder engine, and it has the manuel and sports mode!

Try and get a good test ride before the put the Burg down! It is really a nice all around bike. I wouldn't mind riding a Burgman, and a Burgman 650 actually might be in my future when I rack up the cash, maybe in a year or so if I don't blow the cash on something else!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:24 AM   #49
GS Mojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
The Burg 650 and the Honda 150 are different worlds apart in the scooter planet, with many in between. No one bike or scooter does everything.

IMHO, get the one that talks to you the most. You can always buy another one down the road. Sure, the Honda may be overpriced by some standards, but so are Vespas, Harleys, and others for that matter.

I recently bought a 2011 Vespa LX150ie for my GF. I thought it was way over priced. But now we have it, it's paid for, she loves it, and we never look back.

You only live once. Get what you want or you will always wish you did.
GS Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #50
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Burgman 650 gone

Phoned the dealership about the used Burgman 650 and they'd already sold her at auction for a much lower price than advertized on thier website! Argh!

I sometimes wish the little 110 lb. wifey didn't want to be passenger on whatever scoot I may want to buy; she has a hard time with the fact that my 270+ her measley 110 would put us way up into MaxiScoot territory and straining out budget. This eliminates the worthy Sh150i and Zuma 125, which were my original choices. I sense possible buget and mission creep..
Old 12-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #51
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
A 250cc scooter will allow you to 2-up on the freeway. I have a Kymco People 250 (vintage style) that has nearly 34,000 km on the clock. I am larger than you and I have 2-uped with my wife to the basketball game. We took the back roads at speeds in the 50-60 MPH range as that is the easy way to get there. My scoot does this with ease. I rode over Carson pass, a 8,250 foot elevation pass, with a group of scooterists, many were 2-up, all were 300cc or less. In this photo we stopped at the 8,250 foot summit for photos. The riders on the left are 2-up on one scooter. The guy in the tan coat and the gal with flames visor are on the Vespa (IIRC it's a 250cc).

If you are not planning on doing 2-up frequently, a 250 may be an OK choice. If you are planning frequent freeway trips 2-up. I would choose at least a 300, a 400 Burgman/Majesty with the Kymco Xciting or Burg 650 being better.

As to dealer support, I would expect most Honda dealers could do the Kymco service work if you got a service guide and took it in. If you needed on, i could round most any of them up for you. Honda scooter were made by Kymco for many years and they are very similar once you get over yourself.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #52
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yep +1 to techguy. A 250 would get the job done, but if you plan on doing much 2 up then you really need a 400. Actually a Burgman 400 sounds like a bike for you! Great gas milage, great 2 up riding and awesome highway capability.

These things really fly! A 400 or a 650 would do you great. I wold also take a look at the Kymco 300, as techguy mentioned your local dealer would surly service it! But there is a whole world of great scoots to look in! And that sucks that the 650 was sold! But yea, I really think you are truly looking for a maxi scoot in the 300-650 range.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #53
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
I got an email last night, the Kymco representative is going to try to make the press sample Kymco Downtown 300 available to me for a test ride in San Jose in the near future. Yes, this is about 100 miles but that's not too bad and my parents are down there. I have been trying to get on one for about a year. The nearest one I could find was in Santa Barbara and I am near Sacramento.

To me, this is like Santa called and said... "Want to test ride my sleigh?"
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #54
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I rode a Burgman 650, and it was very nice. However, I use my scoot in town and for riding to work. I can park it in my garage and it's about the same floor space as my bicycle. The Burgman is much larger, heavier and would not be as nimble through traffic as my Zuma. And I bought 2 Zuma's for the same price as the used Burgman. I gave up the ability to take hiway trips, which I don't have time for anyway.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #55
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

If the scoots are out of your price range, as in the Burgman is great but to expensive and big, and the Zuma and SH150i are to small for two up and highway riding, have you ever considered a small motorcycle? I know you mentioned that you don't know how to shift, but if you rode a scooter and know how to ride 2 wheels, its really easy. Enroll in the Motorcycle safety coarse, or find a friend who is a very experienced rider to teach you. Its just learn to control the clutch [just takes a little getting used to], and learn the standard 1 down five/six up shift pattern, practice and your fine! You have ridden a scooter, many beginners aren't used to riding a bike with a motor. But it should be easy for you.

You probably aren't interested in this, but its just an idea. Smaller motorcycles usually handle highway speeds 2 up better than small scooters.

If this at all interests you, take a look at the Honda Rebel:

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/rebel.aspx

This little machine will easily ride 2 up! Maybe not good for touring 2 up, but it will do it easy! It will hold 75 MPH two up, and do around 80-85 MPH solo. It is REALLY EASY to ride! It has great smooth torque curves. And it looks sweet! Then once you have ridden this for around 1/2 a year, you can now ride any bike you lay eyes on! Be it auto or manuel! But the Rebel will keep you happy for a while, and its cheaper than the SH at $3,999 brand new.

But if this is of no interest to you, then keep looking at scoots. The Zuma won't handle you 2 up that well, it will be even slower and the shocks won't love you! The SH will do it, but it won't be real comfortable for nice long rides 2 up, and no question about highway riding 2 up. It will be flat out on a 55 MPH road 2 up, which your engine sure won't appreciate!

So if you go with a scoot, you will have to look in the 300-650 department, if you go bike, then a 250 will do great!

BTW, if you think the SH is a fine price, what is better, the SH or these?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2111269795.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2116331041.html
Old 12-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #56
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

250=can't take 380 lbs.

Howdy,

The Helix and Reflex are out of consideration as they cannot hold more than 350 lbs of riders. My 270+ the little Asian wife's measley 110= around 280 lbs, before helmets.
So a maxi-scoot it will be unless the wife gets stickershock! BTW, the bank has upped my limit to where I can almost afford a new Max-scoot. FWIW, lightly used Silverwings are all over North Louisiana. Heh-heh..now the ball is in my wife's court!
My hunch (And i hope I'm correct) is that the wife won't want to pay around $5,000+ for a maxi she'll only ride with me a small percentage of the time. Hopefully I'll get the green light for a used Sh150i or new Zuma 125 afterall. Film at 10.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #57
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

So you definitely don't want a manuel bike? Thats cool, it's just you'll have to look a little harder to find a scoot that will meet your needs.

Have you ever considered TWO scooters? As in two used Zumas, one for her, one for you?

A Silverwing would be one hell of a machine as well. Yep, a 250 would really struggle with 350 pounds. But the thing is that a 125 will struggle with 275 pounds solo. A 125 would do it solo, but it would not be great. I mean it will top like 60 with a skinny 145 pound rider. I only weight in between 190 and 210 pounds haven't been on the scale in a while, and my Elite 150 does just fine. But I would not ride it as my primary 2 up machine all the time.

I am thinking you are going to need a 400+ cc machine.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #58
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Sh150i seems adequate

Howdy,

BCTN: The Honda Sh150i appears to be a good compromise between price (in my case, the barely used model at my local Honda dealer), utility and power.
3 years ago, yours truly did fine with a Daelim 125. That bike had adequate power for my commuting/ errand running. The additional 25cc should be enough to guarantee 55-60 mph, right? I've no desire to cruise at 60 mph, I just want a fighting chance to reach those speeds on a few local roadways. Again, I tip the scales at 6'1 and 270.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #59
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oh I am sure the Sh will handle 60 MPH with you solo. With a little rider, it will do 68 MPH, but I think you will realistically see 55-60 MPH, and maybe with a tuck see 64 MPH or so. But just a little wind, and your down to maybe 58 MPH, and a blast of wind will likely put you below 55 MPH. Hills will also really slow you down, maybe 45 MPH and with your size and a real steep hill your lucky to get 40 MPH.

But, it will take you quite some time to get there. Over 50 MPH and it will slowly pull until 60+ MPH. When it comes to 2 up, your lucky to get 55 MPH reliably. The SH does just fine I'm sure.

I will give you a little review of my 1986 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe. I think they are very comparable in performance so this should give you an idea of how they run. Here is a pic of it:

http://s865.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=RCA_0114.jpg

I ride many motorcycles. I have bikes from 49 cc all the way to 1600 cc. I love them all! So I bought my 1986 Elite 150 deluxe 2 summers back for commuting. I figured my big bikes get pretty poor gas milage, and I got kind of tires of the "same old highway", or 101. It is fun, but I wanted to take some different roads. So I picked up my Elite 150 in good condition other than the engine for $1,100 on craigslist. It had compression problems as it was not taken care of so well though. So eventually I replaced the engine with a 1987 Honda Elite 150 engine off of ebay for $500 in great running condition. Then a few minor tweaks and replacing the CDI, it runs like a dream.

As far as riding, I average 85 MPG in average riding, 95 MPG in very careful riding, and 75 MPG if I ride it like I stole it. It gets the job done. Although it has 25 year old brakes, which are being replaced this weekend, it is nice. It has liquid cooling, a 2 valve OHC head, and a 153 cc displacement. I ride on a 55 MPH two lane highway most of the way, with some side roads on the commute back and forth. This scoot is such a hoot, I ride it a lot on weekends!

It always starts right up with that magic Honda start button, and idles smooth and quiet like a Honda should! The Nice, smooth automatic CVT transmission gets it up to speed just fine, if not fast for it's size. Suspension is ok, but nothing to brag about. It's looks are you love it or hate it, but personally I grew to love it more over time. The temperature stays very low in any temperature, be it 40 degrees or 100+ degrees. It will run all day. $5 fills the 2.1 gallon tank. It has a clock, temp gauge, volt meter, high/low indicator and digital speedometer on the dash.

Once on the road, it is very smooth and runs great. The engine is very quiet and you can barley hear it. It actually cruises nice at 55 MPH, and will easily get to 65 MPH, and 70 MPH with a full race tuck and the wind behind. I weigh in between 190 and 210 pounds currently. 2 up it will run maybe 58-60 MPH.

Overall, it has been a good scoot.

The SH150i should be somewhat comparable as far as performance, but I am sure that it will ride a bit better. It has disk brakes and big 16" tires.

But if you plan on doing ANY 2 up riding, just do yourself a huge favor go right ahead and get the 400! You'll thank yourself later, your wife will never complain of disconcert, nor will your engine.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #60
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post
I tip the scales at 6'1 and 270.
One option is some calorie discipline and an exercise bike off Craigslist. Wonder if loosing 25 pounds would be the equivalent of gaining 25cc's?
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote