Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #61
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
One option is some calorie discipline and an exercise bike off Craigslist. Wonder if loosing 25 pounds would be the equivalent of gaining 25cc's?
Possibly, but if he is 6'1 he might be muscle, not fat, or he could be just naturally big. And loosing Muscle is not an option! But fat is, if thats the case. I'm only like maybe 200-210 and 5'8 but mostly muscle, so and I don't want to loose any weight!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:58 AM   #62
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Might be a bit offtopic, but it's an interesting read..
Scooter sales in Italy, this year:

The SH300i is at the top for a long time now, and it's amazing to
see the T-max so high up at the list, that thing costs more here
then the SW600 or a Burgman 650, it's almost as expensive as
a Ninja 1400 here.

But the SH150 is right up there.. and it probably costs just a tiny
bit less then the Beverly 300i that's third..

To each his own, eh?
I want a damn Downtown 300i..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #63
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
I'm surprised SYM's are so far down.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #64
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Man, almost as much as a Ninja 1400? I would have a lot more fun on a Ninja 1400 than on a 300 cc scooter!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #65
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Man, almost as much as a Ninja 1400? I would have a lot more fun on a Ninja 1400 than on a 300 cc scooter!
Yeah, me too, for a while, then I'd want the scooter too.
The ZX14 is $20k+ here.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 12-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #66
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Get a used one!

Howdy,

I agree with the title of this thread: Honda did overprice the Sh150i. That's probably why Honda pulled the plug on her, what with the arrival of the PCX and it's lower price.
Yours truly overcame the high price by simply getting a "used" Sh150i with only 30 miles on it! How does the Sh150i sound at $4200 OTD with a 1 year warranty? Obviously, with so few Sh150s on the road, this option isn't available to many. I do feel lucky.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:56 AM   #67
GS Mojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post
Howdy,

I agree with the title of this thread: Honda did overprice the Sh150i. That's probably why Honda pulled the plug on her, what with the arrival of the PCX and it's lower price.
Yours truly overcame the high price by simply getting a "used" Sh150i with only 30 miles on it! How does the Sh150i sound at $4200 OTD with a 1 year warranty? Obviously, with so few Sh150s on the road, this option isn't available to many. I do feel lucky.
Congrats on the new scoot. Have fun and post a picture.
GS Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #68
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post
I agree with the title of this thread: Honda did overprice the Sh150i.
Can Italians afford more than US buyers? When the SH150i came out, the Italian price was 3245 Euros; about $4412 USD, less than $200 below the present US MSRP.

And at the price, it outsold Vespa on Vespa's home turf. I think the MSRP at the time was roughly the same throughout Europe (not sure of this; maybe some European colleagues can chime with prices in France, Britain, etc.).

If that is the case, why was there no sticker shock/apparent price resistance for the thing in Europe? Were consumers opting for the Honda "quality" reputation? Just askin', btw; no ax to grind here - the whole business is a mystery to me...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #69
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto View Post
Can Italians afford more than US buyers? When the SH150i came out, the Italian price was 3245 Euros; about $4412 USD, less than $200 below the present US MSRP.

And at the price, it outsold Vespa on Vespa's home turf. I think the MSRP at the time was roughly the same throughout Europe (not sure of this; maybe some European colleagues can chime with prices in France, Britain, etc.).

If that is the case, why was there no sticker shock/apparent price resistance for the thing in Europe? Were consumers opting for the Honda "quality" reputation? Just askin', btw; no ax to grind here - the whole business is a mystery to me...
Re: SH vs Vespa.. a lot of EU ppl consider small wheeled scooters to be
dangerous, and Italy in particular, being the home of last century Vespas
with 10" wheels you can't argue that (not that those wheels are it's only
issue), so most will opt for big wheeled scooter just because.. and won't
even consider stuff like suspension etc, as long as it has big wheels it's fine.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #70
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Re: SH vs Vespa.. a lot of EU ppl consider small wheeled scooters to be
dangerous, and Italy in particular, being the home of last century Vespas
with 10" wheels you can't argue that (not that those wheels are it's only
issue), so most will opt for big wheeled scooter just because.. and won't
even consider stuff like suspension etc, as long as it has big wheels it's fine.
I agree. Another thing to consider is that people don't need to ride at 80 MPH all the time to keep up with traffic in most areas over there! I mean a 150 cc will suit them a lot better than here most of the time. Maybe the SH150i just does what they need, and they don't need a giant maxi scooter to drive 2 miles down the street everyday!
Old 12-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #71
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
I agree. Another thing to consider is that people don't need to ride at 80 MPH all the time to keep up with traffic in most areas over there! I mean a 150 cc will suit them a lot better than here most of the time. Maybe the SH150i just does what they need, and they don't need a giant maxi scooter to drive 2 miles down the street everyday!
Yeah, they don't.
After the light turns red, in the next 30 seconds you'll be looking at a
swarm of up to 25 scooters filtering between cars waiting at the light
and agility/narrow profile is what matters the most.

150cc will keep you in front of the cars untill the next set of lights, repeat.
They'll value a Tmax the most of all scooters for it's agility and proper-bike
like handling, while in USA you'll see most opting for the Burgman for the
highway commute.

2 different worlds.

No Burgmans here..

Old 12-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #72
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
To return to the original point, is the SH150i priced roughly the same throughout Europe as in the US?

If so, is it really considered to be 'overpriced' there as it seems to be here?
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #73
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
surprising sales numbers there. from the look of the top ten Italians seem to not want as many "Vespa style" scooters as they used too, i suppose. meaning the small wheels and tires and traditional styling. the way it looks is the trend in Italy is for more modern design with larger tires, and maxi scoots

so the fact Honda chose to build the bike in Italy.....and beat the Italians at their own game is somewhat surprising, but not completely. i mean they have been doing that with cars in America for years

pricing? well, idk how much $ is a Vespa or Piaggio in its home market? and while those brands may seem exotic and upscale in the U.S. they are most likely just another scooter in Italy no matter how proud they are of them. so the Honda is seen as a bit exotic, different, and of course rock solid reliable

and of course the selling point of "its built right here in Italy"

not to mention a 300cc version. and while i am not too impressed by the 150cc SH or its price, the 300cc would get serious consideration from me at around $5500OTD. but alas in the US, its just a dream
Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #74
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

You have a good point DudeClone. If you think about it, they are just wanting something different than a vespa. The motorcycle styling and big tires are probably a large plus.

Yes, I would also consider an SH300i at the price you mention.

But I see why Honda stopped making 250-350 cc range scooters. It is because they are a bit more expensive than the 150 cc scoots, and most people in America still don't see them as "serious" bikes. A 250 can do the highway if you need to, but it is not "at home" cruising on the 65 or 70 MPH limit on the interstate. It would be if people would actually drive close to that speed, but like I said regular traffic is moving at 75 MPH, and quite a few cars go well over 80 MPH in the left lanes, and passing is hardly an option on a 250.

If you try and pass a slow car in the right lane going 55 MPH, they "can't" get passed by a scooter and will speed up, get right up your ass and pass you. It is just ignorance of people to do things like this.

THis is part of the reason why Honda only sells the slow 50 cc city Ruckus, the small 125 cc PCX, and the big 600 cc silverwing for 2011. The SH is without a doubt well overpriced in America.

While a few riders like myself don't mind commuting on a 150/250 or riding the twisties, most want something that can do triple digits for highway riding. I ride my Elite 150 off highway 98% of the time, only on a 2 lane 55 MPH road for commuting. I also stay off the highways when riding on weekends. The only time I will ride highways is if I go on a little adventure an get lost and can't find another way, then I will do a short WOT brisk.

I can get an indicated 63-65 MPH on my Elite, and a GPS 68-70 MPH. But this is for a very short time. You know your killing that poor little motor running at this speed. But if you have to it can do it in the right lane.

BUt most people want something with more than enough power. Now I would not ride a 250 as my main bike, just for certain use. A big twin or four is more suited to trips and highway riding.

Point is, a 250 cc scooter isn't quite enough in general. You will always say if "I had just 10 MPH more available
available, this would be the perfect bike". We all remember thinking that! That is what plagues small bikes. Actually most bikes, until you get to a liter bike!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #75
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
250? Seems just right

Howdy,

While the corporate decision-making about discontinuing 250cc bikes here in the U.S. is probably supported by slow sales (I'm thinking mainly of Yamaha & Honda) in recent years, A 250cc scoot would be almost perfect for my needs. There's no doubting BTCN's observation in the prior post, I'm speaking only of my needs as a scooter enthusiast.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote