Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #16
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
i do both. started on mtb and then got into dirtbikes.
skills from both translate back and forth.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #17
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake28 View Post
I found the learning curve going from a moto to a peddle bike to be steep for the first few weeks. No longer could I rely on my right wrist and dumb look to get me up, down, or through an obstacle. I had to think about where my feet were in relation to rocks to avoid peddle strike for the first time. It was a challenge, but now going back to a dirt bike I find that my riding technique is much improved; a lot more fluid, and I can ride for longer just due to being in better shape.
sounds like your moto technique was sloppy to start with and the mtb cleaned it up nicely.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #18
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
sounds like your moto technique was sloppy to start with and the mtb cleaned it up nicely.
My experience has been that with 12" of suspension travel, you can be sloppy. With none or 2-3" you can't be.

M
Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #19
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,648
The biggest thing I like about MTN biking is that I can decide to go for a ride and be on the trails twenty minutes later, in the city. The closest place I can ride my dirt bike is about two hours away if it is not at a buddies house......

Skills transfer somewhat, balance is the big one since I ride bike and moto trials. Bike trials is AWESOME for balance development.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #20
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
My experience has been that with 12" of suspension travel, you can be sloppy. With none or 2-3" you can't be.

M
I find you can be a lot more sloppy when the thing between your legs weighs 30lbs instead of 250lbs......
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #21
Ghoti
Sooper Brane

Oddometer: 15,010
When riding singletrack on a MTB you can see and hear so much more of what's going on around you. On a motorcycle you have to focus on your line or end up tagging a tree. I love playing golf for the environment as much as the game. It's like walking through a well manicured garden.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #22
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoti View Post
When riding singletrack on a MTB you can see and hear so much more of what's going on around you. On a motorcycle you have to focus on your line or end up tagging a tree. I love playing golf for the environment as much as the game. It's like walking through a well manicured garden.
Trees don't make a noise before they jump out infront of you. Really.

I loved riding my dirt bike over the local golf course when I was a lad.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #23
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Elefant View Post
Trees don't make a noise before they jump out infront of you. Really.

I loved riding my dirt bike over the local golf course when I was a lad.

Our local golf course was right in my buddy's back yard. We used to go out on the fairways when it snowed and do powerslides. Broke my collarbone the first time at age 15 doing them on my Yammie 175!!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #24
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,607
Mountain biking is an awesome activity. Don't knock me but ATGATT goes for biking as well, those rocks still hurt bad even if only going 10-15mph!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #25
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,175
We work together and pick clean lines.

Just don't ask "where can you ride THAT"? Anywhere you can on that single seater, sonny.

http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #26
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho View Post
Physical exercise. 8 miles of mountain biking versus 8 miles of dirt biking is like night and day on the body. Your legs are the motor, which is good and bad at the same time. Uphills are very different since you

You are compring the same distance 8 miles on both...not exactly a good comparison..

Try to ride a 6 hour enduro or a 3.5 hour harescramble...
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #27
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 466
sure, try riding 24hrs of moab!

there is is no way you can seriously compare mtb to internal combustion engine riding. sure a long enduro beats you up, but cycling will kick you ass a lot harder. that's why you get passed by a pot bellied, out of shape old dudes on your hare scramble, but from what i have seen, although experience in mtb xc counts, you better be in serious shape to even finish.
back to regular programing, biking is great, skills transfer, many great moto riders ride mtbikes and road bikes to get/stay in shape.
ben bostrom raced in moab and did great, and i hear spies was going to do it, too. these guys really move in road racing.
best thing about mtbiking- so many places its hard to ride your dirt bike on some nice trails, not everyone lives in utah or co. but you can have some quality mtbiking almost anywhere.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:49 AM   #28
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBandit View Post

there is is no way you can seriously compare mtb to internal combustion engine riding. sure a long enduro beats you up, but cycling will kick you ass a lot harder. that's why you get passed by a pot bellied, out of shape old dudes on your hare scramble, but from what i have seen, although experience in mtb xc counts, you better be in serious shape to even finish.
back to regular programing,
We are not near Moab but Ashford is about three towns over and there is a 24 hour race there, I know a few folks that race it every year..!

If you are getting passed by fatbelly riders when you do your harescramble it is because they are faster riders then you....!!!

Have you heard of Supercross.. in Daytona last weekend watch that race and then talk about fitness..most pro dirt bikers ride bikes for training..

I have a feeling you don't do much racing..

Biking is a great for fitness and like motorbikes it is about how hard you are pushing your self...like Swimming,running, etc...etc....

This sounds like a few folks I have met over the years..."How hard can it be to ride a dirtbike it has a motor".............Yeah...OK....
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #29
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
I've done 22 24hr races. 23 and 24 will be this summer. Doing the MTB Marathon this Sunday and in two weeks the Dyfi [Mountainbike] Enduro.

There is a 24hr [motorbike] enduro race in the UK but I don't have the mental strength to even enter it (that and it clashes with one of the 24hr mtb races I do every year).
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #30
Green Stainz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,987
Mtn biking

I switched back last year. I checked myself into a hospital last year for depression. I was there for two weeks. I guess I gave up on life. Went through a lot of crap unemployment,divorce etc. I know I needed a change and part of it was exercise. Got myself a full suspension and jumped back on the trails. where I live I have a ton of trails to choose from. And they are mostly uphill (ha-ha) Anyway the first few days I sucked. I rode through the pain, the soreness but now I ride because I am addicted to it but also it's a release for me. it feels like I can pedal away the anger, frustrations, the bullshit that I can't deal with. I believe people ride for different reasons and I ride to "recover". The answer is yes for me.
Green Stainz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: