Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #196
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidi - on track View Post
Hi moggi,

thanks for your preference.
Just to give you a suggestion: if you prefer, you can ask revzilla to place a "special order", they could probably have the Ergo suit arrive in around 15 days.

Thanks again for your interest

Matteo De Vito
Spidi Marketing Dept
Vicenza - Italy
They suggest I order directly through you so I will.

Do the prices on the website include Italian Sales Tax? If so, what is the rate?

Thanks,

Morris
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #197
Spidi - on track OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
They suggest I order directly through you so I will.

Do the prices on the website include Italian Sales Tax? If so, what is the rate?

Thanks,

Morris
Please refer to infoservice@spidi.com for that; they're located in Italy they can give you more accurate answer.

Matteo De Vito
Spidi Marketing Dept
Vicenza - Italy

Spidi is creator of Ergo Jacket.

Visit us here.
Spidi - on track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #198
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Please refer to infoservice@spidi.com for that; they're located in Italy they can give you more accurate answer.

Matteo De Vito
Spidi Marketing Dept
Vicenza - Italy
I did and they got back to me already! Talk about quick response, took about 10 minutes

I will update you after my trip to Revzilla to try the jacket.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #199
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

So Matteo,

the visit to Revzilla was great. Sadly the Spidi gloves just didn't work for me as my fingers were too long for the large and the next size up glove was too loose.

I really liked the Ergo Pro 365 jacket, beautifully made and terrific attention to detail. I also tried on a couple of Klim jackets too and they were also impressive.

So the one question that comes up for me is this:

what do you see as the advantage of having the internal waterproof liner instead of using the Klim approach with a waterproof/goretex outer shell?

Having not ridden in over 20 years and therefore not having worn textiles like this, I am uncertain of the benefits of the liner over the other option.

Thanks,

Morris
Old 03-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #200
Spidi - on track OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Waterproof shields

Quote:
So Matteo,

the visit to Revzilla was great. Sadly the Spidi gloves just didn't work for me as my fingers were too long for the large and the next size up glove was too loose.

I really liked the Ergo Pro 365 jacket, beautifully made and terrific attention to detail. I also tried on a couple of Klim jackets too and they were also impressive.

So the one question that comes up for me is this:

what do you see as the advantage of having the internal waterproof liner instead of using the Klim approach with a waterproof/goretex outer shell?

Having not ridden in over 20 years and therefore not having worn textiles like this, I am uncertain of the benefits of the liner over the other option.

Thanks,

Morris
Hi Morris,

I'm glad you liked the Ergo Pro jacket and all its details.
I believe it has not comparison in terms of features and modularity.
Regarding removable liner: I cannot express opinions on the other brand, as I don't know it at all, but I can try to summarize Spidi concept over the multi-layers, trying to make it very simple and easy.
Of course you can understand the big advantage of having the removable waterproof membrane: great flexibility. You ride at 100, you take off thermal and waterproof, you open the 8 generous air vents and you will take benefit from real air circulation (direct to most critical body areas).
You then ride at rainy 35 , with all 3 layers, all vents closed, and benefit of double waterproof layers (external + liner).

If we compare Ergo Pro with a traditional winter jacket (where waterproofness is only on the external shield) you find an additional H2Out waterproof liner: it is not in SUBSTITUTION of the external waterproof shield, but in ADDITION to it. Ergo Pro external shield - as already explained - is made of 3-layers polyammide , this meaning the fabric is extremely resistant, waterproof and breathable itself. The waterproof H2Out liner makes the jacket waterproof in extreme conditions (high speed + high rain + long hours); but the jacket without liner is good enough for short rides under normal rain (let's say as example one hour + 80 mph + soft rain).

Modularity and flexibility don't mean "unfriendly"; it just give you the opportunity to use Ergo Pro as you want, with the level of technology you need.

The big disadvantage of all jackets with external waterproof shield is they can not have the same waterproofness level of Ergo Pro in extreme conditions, if they have some vents: after 2 or 3 hours of strong rain, indeed, any vent make rain pass through; doesn't matter the quality of construction or type of fabric, rain just pass through the vent after some hours, and if you don't have an additional liner inside, you're wet, and you know, when you start getting wet on the bike you are completely wet in few minutes.

An alternative solution would be an external waterproof shield with no vents, but this is just zero in terms of comfort.

Another solution is what Spidi created some years ago and now uses in one jacket called TourS7

It is constructed in the traditional way (external is waterproof + removable thermal), but how did Spidi manage the vents? They invented and patented a new system: the Airack system, a plastic channel that control the airflow through an open-close system very similar to the ones use on helmets:

This is just to show you Spidi likes definitive solutions. We don't like 95% results, we only want 100%. If it has to be waterproof, it has to be 100%.

Matteo De Vito
Spidi Marketing Dept
Vicenza - Italy

Visit us here.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #201
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

I was editing when you answered but I have one more question then I am going to make my mind up:

The Ergo Pro 365 jacket I tried on today has the back and chest protection. Is that standard on the suit or an additional expense?

I think this may be my last question on the subject :)

Thank you for your detailed response in the previous post; lots for me to consider.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #202
Spidi - on track OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ergo 365 Pro Expedition version

Quote:
I was editing when you answered but I have one more question then I am going to make my mind up:

The Ergo Pro 365 jacket I tried on today has the back and chest protection. Is that standard on the suit or an additional expense?

I think this may be my last question on the subject :)

Thank you for your detailed response in the previous post; lots for me to consider.
Hi moggi,

that's the Expedition version (with these optionals included: Warrior Chest level 1; Warrior Back Level 2; Hydroback drinking system; Expedition label on front and back).
The suit comes in Expedition version only.

Matteo De Vito
Spidi Marketing Dept
Vicenza - Italy

Visit us here.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #203
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Hi moggi,

that's the Expedition version (with these optionals included: Warrior Chest level 1; Warrior Back Level 2; Hydroback drinking system; Expedition label on front and back).
The suit comes in Expedition version only.

Matteo De Vito
Spidi Marketing Dept
Vicenza - Italy
Order placed

I told my wife you made me do it, well, you and Vittoria who was also extremely helpful.

Thank you.

Morris
Old 03-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #204
Spidi - on track OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Order placed

I told my wife you made me do it, well, you and Vittoria who was also extremely helpful.

Thank you.

Morris
Thank you moggi!

We wait the first review at the soonest!

Matteo De Vito
Spidi Marketing Dept
Vicenza - Italy

Visit us here.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #205
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Thank you moggi!

Matteo De Vito
Spidi Marketing Dept
Vicenza - Italy
Of course!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #206
barbos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
FWIW,

I'm not sure if all the H2Out jackets are the same. Mine came with a thermal+waterproof jacket liner. A single liner, that does both. While it is very effective, if you get caught in the rain while it is very hot outside, you will feel like you are smothering. I think they may offer a waterproof only liner, but it didn't come with my jacket.

It takes a good rain before I even really need the liners. With the liners in, I have always remained dry. But (at least with my jacket) the thermal+waterproof liner was a single liner, instead of separates like I have had in the past.

There is a benefit of less bulk of not having two liners, but you may have to purchase a separate liner for just waterproof without the thermal component.

Just wanted to toss that out there.
barbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #207
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbos View Post
FWIW,

I'm not sure if all the H2Out jackets are the same. Mine came with a thermal+waterproof jacket liner. A single liner, that does both. While it is very effective, if you get caught in the rain while it is very hot outside, you will feel like you are smothering. I think they may offer a waterproof only liner, but it didn't come with my jacket.

It takes a good rain before I even really need the liners. With the liners in, I have always remained dry. But (at least with my jacket) the thermal+waterproof liner was a single liner, instead of separates like I have had in the past.

There is a benefit of less bulk of not having two liners, but you may have to purchase a separate liner for just waterproof without the thermal component.

Just wanted to toss that out there.
Thanks for that. The Expedition model which is the suit I am getting has separate waterproof and thermal; I think the Ergo 365 Pro does too as that was the jacket I tried on in Revzilla. I'm hoping the three layers will be all I need bar some wicking underwear.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #208
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Thank you moggi!

Matteo De Vito
Spidi Marketing Dept
Vicenza - Italy
So I ordered the suit from Spidi in Italy on Tuesday March 27th at 5.13pm Eastern Standard Time.

The suit is now in my possession delivered on Thursday March 29th at 11.08am Eastern Standard Time.

Now THAT is something!

Oh, and so is the suit and the 'extras' that were added to the box

I have to go out now but will give the suit a first try later and report back.

Thanks Spidi Italia; Matteo and Vittoria.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #209
dadsafrantic
Chef?

Oddometer: 72
Marathon Jacket Review

I have had the Spidi Marathon Jacket since mid March 2012. I am very happy with the jacket. It does what the Spidi people say it will do. The step-in clothing works. I wear only the outer jacket down to 58 or so for the ride home in the afternoon. I wear the entire jacket down in the high 30's to high 40's on the way to work. I am worm and comfortable with just a t shirt and my chef's coat. I purchased a 2X from Revzilla and they were excellent. There was an issue with a snap and R'zilla had a new jacket to me in 3 days. The snap issue I believe was not a design problem but maybe a manufacturing faux pas. Not a problem on the new jacket. I have only had some light rain to ride through but the jacket kept me dry and warm.

The jacket is light compared to my last jacket FG Rainier. The outer material is much softer and seems finer in the weave. It seems very tough. I have tried to scratch it with my thumb nail and it is impervious and shows no mark at all. The armor sits where it should also. I am going to add the back armor soon. The adjustments on the arms, waist and neck all work well. The stitching and seams are done very well and very cleanly. The finish is first rate.

My advice is mto try the jacket on before you purchase if you have a chance. I wear a size 56 euro sizing and 46 US sizing in all my suites. I bought the 2X jacket and it fits well. I believe if I didn't have the spare tire around my middle I might have been ok with an XL. Maybe. I have plenty of room in the shoulders. If you are in between a L and an XL US sizing and XL from Spidi might work.

All in all I am very pleased with the jacket. I recommend the jacket highly. I will have the pants before the middle of summer.
ATGATT

dadsafrantic screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 12:48 PM
dadsafrantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #210
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
So I ordered the suit from Spidi in Italy on Tuesday March 27th at 5.13pm Eastern Standard Time.

The suit is now in my possession delivered on Thursday March 29th at 11.08am Eastern Standard Time.

Now THAT is something!

Oh, and so is the suit and the 'extras' that were added to the box

I have to go out now but will give the suit a first try later and report back.

Thanks Spidi Italia; Matteo and Vittoria.
I actually posted first thoughts here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777028

Haven't yet ridden in it as I don't have my bike yet so first impressions are of fit and finish.

More will follow when I get to ride in it.

Triumph Explorer