User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #46
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,666
Hugemoth,
Could you expand on the above. What kond/model/from where ?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #47
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
The bike is a Lifan LF200 GY-5 purchased on the internet from a dealer in Virginia, drop shipped from American Lifan in Texas, delivered to my house in Oregon in the factory crate. Total cost $1375.00 including shipping in Sept 07. It came with an MSO and EPA certificate for 49 states but not California. My friends bikes are the same but with fewer miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Hugemoth,
Could you expand on the above. What kond/model/from where ?
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #48
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Yes, I know about the quality of Lifans. I was talking about one of those no-name scoots with that kind of milage. But I am actually impressed by Lifan bikes, they are great price yet awesome bikes! I was even considering dropping a Lifan 140 cc oil cooled 4 speed in my Honda pit bike!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #49
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
Lifan makes scoots but who knows if they are any good. The only scoots I have much experience with are the older Vespas. I've put Lifan 110 cc engines on a couple old Trail 90s. Nice runners and reliable but only around 2500 miles each so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Yes, I know about the quality of Lifans. I was talking about one of those no-name scoots with that kind of milage. But I am actually impressed by Lifan bikes, they are great price yet awesome bikes! I was even considering dropping a Lifan 140 cc oil cooled 4 speed in my Honda pit bike!
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:37 AM   #50
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Kymco scoot cost more than $200 over cheap Chinese scoot, well over.
Kymco scoot owners have surely suffer unexpected mechanicals, just as Chinese scoot, just not as many Kymco scooters sold as cheap Chinese scoots.
Never have to worry? Not likely.
i think never have to worry would be an overstatement, sure. just not worry as much, i suppose. it helps my peace of mind since i own just one scooter for now, and its my sole mode of transport

for what its worth a kymco forum i read somewhere took a general poll of owners that asked in the FIRST year of ownership if they had any problems with their Kymco scoots. a full three out of four owners, mileage and model notwithstanding, had not one single problem with their scooters in the first year of ownership. this was another thing that helped me decide to go with Kymco rather then the $1450 BMS Heritage i was considering

and the fact the price difference was just $150 OTD

not a Kymco fanboy here, and as said i am considering a 250cc China scoot when the time comes. but those were just the facts of my buying experience, and was the best info i could come up with in helping me decide what to purchase

75% of 160 Kymco owners polled had not one thing go wrong in the first year of ownership over the entire Kymco model line. so sure, i don't worry so much :)
Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #51
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Yep. There is no scooter in this world that will never have one single issue over the years. Its just a combination of how good the bike was built, how many problems to how many miles it will have, and how major they are.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #52
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
Dude..

Do you know where that poll was? I would like to see that.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #53
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy View Post
Dude..

Do you know where that poll was? I would like to see that.
argh...i honestly can't remember. i was at a friends house and he was going through it with me and called me over to his computer. i think it was a "members only" site and i didn't want to sign up, as it seemed a hassle at the time. i did take a jpg shot of the poll for future reference on account of my laziness, however. had to go to the old laptop to dig it up just now

looks like my memory was foggy, too. according to these numbers it was 158 owners with no problems, and 56 with a problem. so, 73% with no problem. still over 7/10 of owners with none, however. so thats pretty good in the scoot world, i think

i also took the 18 "other" responses as most likely being minor issues. i mean the major ones were already covered, so just wtf else could have been wrong?
Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #54
techguy
Scooter Trash

I would guess the "other" responses are related to mirrors, topcases or windscreens. Based on my reading over the years, these items are frequently missing from the initial delivery due to damaged during shipping, were dealer add-ons or conditions of sales that had to be ordered in, or are damaged by newby riders during the first year of riding. These are the items that "stick-out" and most likely to be damaged and really don't affect the overall satisfaction of the ownership of the of the bike, especially if the owner was partially responsible for the damage of the item.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #55
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Wow! That looks great! Don't forget, some of those people may have not quite done proper maintenance as they may have not known of it. Or they might have abused it, who knows! But all I can say is this shows that if you take really good care of your Kymco like I do on all of my bikes, they will last and give you very few issues. Or these people might have been those that need everything 100% perfect. Like a little tiny thing that is normal like a little shipping damage and they find it a major deal.

But I guarantee the cheapo drop off chinese scoots will have different polls and reviews! I know some people will say that their chinese scoot has been trouble free, and I believe that. But there will be many that have a series of problems!

Take a look at the old Lance scooters. I know that they have much improved now, as they are going to be working with SYM which are awesome scoots. But, look at the old reviews. They are really very poor. They were so bad that is actually what kept me from getting a lance when I first started looks for a couple summers ago. I look a look at a brand new Lance Venice 150. It looked awesome and cost like $900ish on Craigslist. But luckily, I decided to learn a little more about them. I had never heard of them. So I went on line, and wow! Horrible reviews! There were maybe 1/4 good ones, but there were just to many bad ones to even consider one for me!

But I now if they will be working with or producing SYMs, they are good! I bet they just had a real shitty factory making them at the time. I guess with poor companies, it is pass or fail! Not for me!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #56
techguy
Scooter Trash

Lance MAY be doing some good things but until they start acting like a REAL company, I won't do business with them.

As I understand it, Lance was importing SYM scooters from Mexico, branding and marketing them as SYM scooters and selling them in the USA as Lance manufactured scooters that were made at the same factory as SYM scooters. Talk about bold face lying. This was stopped with a lawsuit by SYM.

SYMUSA and Carter Bros. have their own issues. Are they work working with Lance on distribution, legitimately? I don't know. I have not found a trustworthy source to conform or deny this.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #57
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Yea, I don't think they are good at all. Hopefully they won't, but it is something that could happen, but it is not that likely. Yea, I have found Lances to be really poorly built so far.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #58
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy View Post
I would guess the "other" responses are related to mirrors, topcases or windscreens. Based on my reading over the years, these items are frequently missing from the initial delivery due to damaged during shipping, were dealer add-ons or conditions of sales that had to be ordered in, or are damaged by newby riders during the first year of riding. These are the items that "stick-out" and most likely to be damaged and really don't affect the overall satisfaction of the ownership of the of the bike, especially if the owner was partially responsible for the damage of the item.
yeah, thats what i sort of did. i just sort of deduced it, for lack of a better term

i dismissed the 18 "other" votes and the lower numbered ones like for brakes, exhaust, body hardware, drive train, etc. that left me with engine, carb, and electrical. and the carb and engine matched numbers so tight, i figured some of those votes were for the same bikes, as engine problems can be seen as carb problems, too. and one and the other can lead to.....the other. so in the end i figured i had pretty good chances. top it off with my dealers tech saying he never see's an Agility in for repair, and even if a problem did arise its got a good warranty behind it that won't see me pulling parts and fixing it myself, and i felt good about my purchase all around. still do. and thats a nice feeling considering the deal i got. i loves my scoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Yea, I don't think they are good at all. Hopefully they won't, but it is something that could happen, but it is not that likely. Yea, I have found Lances to be really poorly built so far.
all Lance scooters used to be Znen built. now they distribute only one scooter they claim is "SYM built." and i believe that is accurate. its essentially a style based somewhat loosely on the old Fiddle, with underpinnings shared by the SYM Fiddle II. its called the "Lance Cali Classic," which i am sure you are aware of. its pretty much a Honda Joker wannabe / clone, and i actually like it. but at the same time ALL that chrome sort of makes me think "wait, now. seriously?" i just can't get past the fact that its a scooter, trying to look cool. i mean, scooters are cool already. giving them somewhat clownish motorcycle handlebars isn't really necessary.

the "old" SYM Fiddle

http://www.firstkick.com/showroom/sy.../Fiddle50.html

and the old Fiddle updated, as its sold in some parts of the world today, as the Cello

i mean, its clearly says SYM, right? and now...tada....the Lance Cali Classic

and the "original" Honda Joker that started it all

and an explanation of the whole shebang =]

and for good measure, the latest SYM / Lance "gossip" from somewhat reliable sources

http://2strokebuzz.com/2010/12/15/sym-gossip

DudeClone screwed with this post 12-17-2010 at 03:58 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #59
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

So they are making these under SYM? If so, then I would trust the quality, however, if they are making them under Znen, no way! I think I have seen a similar looking model from them but I am sure it was made under Znen. I guess know this model is under SYM? Because I remember the old one that looked like this was just a piece of shit, and it was slow for a 150 cc topping out at 50 MPH. But I guess this is their new and much better one without ZNEN?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #60
Ken11 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Are these 260 cc versions any better?

I met a guy at a gas station with a big huge scooter, and I asked him about it. He said it was a 260 cc chinese scooter. I asked him about reliability and he said it had been pretty reliable with just some minor issues. He told me it would hit 80 MPH too! He said these were better than the Reflex knock offs.

So I am wandering if these would be any better? Maybe buy one, test it and if it sucks part it out or sell it, and get a brand name scooter.

Heres what it looks like:

http://www.hotrodpocketbikes.com/con...c_scooter.html

Heres a video doing 65 MPH. It looks like its holding up better than my Reflex at that speed! Just under 5,000 RPM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL8KIDD8mYM

I just wanted to see what you guys thought of this. Otherwise, He's going to be getting a SYM 250.