Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #1516
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
Well, it was yesterday actually....

Replaced the crap OE Honda clutch in Miss Bitters 315R with a Sureflex clutch -

The difference is simply amazing! No more of that frustrating Montesa clutch dragging when cold, and SO much more progressive than the rather grabby OE clutch. The bike is so much fun to ride now that I spent 2 hours (in 35 degree weather!) goofing off on it in front of the house. The real test will come this weekend at SanYo, but so far I'm VERY impressed. Huge thanks to Dennis at Overland Cycle - http://www.overlandtrail.biz/ for the suggestion and the clutch!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #1517
GrayEagleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Replaced the crap OE Honda clutch in Miss Bitters 315R with a Sureflex clutch -

The difference is simply amazing! No more of that frustrating Montesa clutch dragging when cold, and SO much more progressive than the rather grabby OE clutch. The bike is so much fun to ride now that I spent 2 hours (in 35 degree weather!) goofing off on it in front of the house. The real test will come this weekend at SanYo, but so far I'm VERY impressed. Huge thanks to Dennis at Overland Cycle - http://www.overlandtrail.biz/ for the suggestion and the clutch!
What kind of oil are you putting in it?
GrayEagleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #1518
stkman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEagleRider View Post
Have to agree ... the Sureflex clutch is brilliant. Now have one in my 4RT.

Played around with oils with the old clutch. ELF HTX as recommended is very, very good. ATF took 1/2 a minute to clear when cold. Am now on a 10 weight mineral transmission fluid (meets Caterpillar TO-4 standard) which is as good as the ELF!!!!! Says it is designed for complex gear and clutch systems ... sounds like a trials bike transmission to me. I buy 20 litres at a time and it's very cheap. I change it every 10 hours.This oil plus the Sureflex, I'm in heaven. It even starts in gear now.

Andrew

stkman screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 05:31 PM Reason: more info ...
stkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #1519
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Plastered Purple Penguin Trial

I rode the Plastered Purple Penguin Trial on Sunday on my old Bultaco. This was a Puget Sound Trialers event held in Marysville WA. It was 25 degrees when I got there. I mostly crashed my way around on the ice and ended up face planting hard enough to ring my bell and leave a mark. PST had a vintage class with 4 people in the class. I got last with a personal worst score ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsPFPE-Ct-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLlWIn7eGSo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDwOivVYDEY
I still had fun and my legs are sore enough today to make it difficult to get out of the truck this afternoon.
Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #1520
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
I rode the Plastered Purple Penguin Trial on Sunday on my old Bultaco. This was a Puget Sound Trialers event held in Marysville WA. It was 25 degrees when I got there. I mostly crashed my way around on the ice and ended up face planting hard enough to ring my bell and leave a mark. PST had a vintage class with 4 people in the class. I got last with a personal worst score ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsPFPE-Ct-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLlWIn7eGSo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDwOivVYDEY
I still had fun and my legs are sore enough today to make it difficult to get out of the truck this afternoon.
Dave
I did the same on Sunday. How's your head? I was there when you went down and it was quite a thud. I was the guy in the white helmet on the 4rt following you guys around most of the day.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #1521
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
Seized my piston. I'm batting 1000 with this bike.

I'll tear down this week after I reassemble my other bike. Don't need 2 piles of bikes in the garage at a time.

Andrew
Sorry to hear that. I have heard of it, but first time that I saw it! Thanks for the pics. Well at least your bike will be fresh this spring. Have you checked the jetting just to be sure?
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #1522
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto View Post
I did the same on Sunday. How's your head? I was there when you went down and it was quite a thud. I was the guy in the white helmet on the 4rt following you guys around most of the day.
Hi Brian, no damage just a skinned chin and a bruised ego. Everybody at the trial was great. Seems like a good group.
Thanks
Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #1523
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Sorry to hear that. I have heard of it, but first time that I saw it! Thanks for the pics. Well at least your bike will be fresh this spring. Have you checked the jetting just to be sure?
I'll be verifying jetting when I clean & rebuild the carb. Only benefit of this happening is that the engine should be good for quite some time after this & I get to give the bike a really good cleaning & refreshing. It'll also give me a chance to replace some of the crapped out hardware on the thing. I plan to make the hardware choice more consistent than OEM too. Why GasGas chose to use about 50 different styles of fasteners on this thing boggles me.

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #1524
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEagleRider View Post
I've been running Honda Pro transmission oil (CR/CRF stuff) simply because I have several quarts of it lying around. Looks, smells, and quite possibly tastes just like ATF. Seems to work well, and I change it about twice a year.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #1525
andrewgore
Team MGH

Sent out my cylinder to Paynes Cycle Center. They'll be sending it out to get bored & plated to match the readily available 280cc piston. Saves quite a bit of money & I get 8cc more out of the deal.

Also ordering up all new Stainless Steel hardware for the bike. Far too much of the hardware on the bike was too dirty & messed up heads (looks like someone used SAE wrenches in Metric situations).

Andrew
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #1526
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Went out for a pratice ride in the backyard after work today. First time since I got the CTI brace.
Starting off the brace was VERY noticable, especially while trying to start the bike. Finally got the bike started. Started putzing around the yard, hard turns lock to lock weaving around trees, logs, assorted junk. Then over some of the stuff.

A few things I quickly realized I forgot.
How to ride, clutch control, riding smooth, how to do a simple hop and the knee brace. I really like that last one. I rode around for just a short time and went and put the bike away before it was too dark. Got off the bike and then remember I had the brace on. That was ! If I can forget that it is there in such a short time the first time I wore it then it must fit pretty good.

Now to work on those skills that all went away over the past half year and knee surgery. I think by the time I get back up to speed the blown ACL and resulting surgery will be a year long speed bump. More peg time, watching the training DVD many more times, get the basics down again.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #1527
andrewgore
Team MGH

Cleaned every part on the bike today (ultrasonic cleaner is a godsend). Pressure washed the frame, swingarm, etc. Repacked all the linkage and swingarm bearings. Replaced wheel bearings front\rear. Wheels awaiting fresh tires this week. Removed a stuck rear caliper bolt (holds the pads in). Began reassembly of the bike. It'll just need the cylinder tossed in when it arrives.

Working on replacing the fork seals as well. They are pretty well stuck in the aluminum housing. I was able to find a place online where I could score seals for 4$ a piece. I should be good for awhile.

Andrew
Old 01-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #1528
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,425
I rode for 15 minutes yesterday. It was 50F out. This morning it's -15F below wind chill.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #1529
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
I rode for 15 minutes yesterday. It was 50F out. This morning it's -15F below wind chill.
Sorry about that.

We should have a good turn out today for some practice. Suppose be in the low 50s.
That will feel like 70 compared to the last two weeks deep freeze that settled in here.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #1530
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Went out for a pratice ride in the backyard after work today. First time since I got the CTI brace.
Starting off the brace was VERY noticable, especially while trying to start the bike. Finally got the bike started. Started putzing around the yard, hard turns lock to lock weaving around trees, logs, assorted junk. Then over some of the stuff.

A few things I quickly realized I forgot.
How to ride, clutch control, riding smooth, how to do a simple hop and the knee brace. I really like that last one. I rode around for just a short time and went and put the bike away before it was too dark. Got off the bike and then remember I had the brace on. That was ! If I can forget that it is there in such a short time the first time I wore it then it must fit pretty good.

Now to work on those skills that all went away over the past half year and knee surgery. I think by the time I get back up to speed the blown ACL and resulting surgery will be a year long speed bump. More peg time, watching the training DVD many more times, get the basics down again.
Glad to hear your on the road to recovery,mind if I ask what training video your referring to? I could go for some winter reading/viewing and I have a birthday coming up.My wife never knows what to get me so I usually just grab something small (tires/fork springs ect...) for myself and we're both happy.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote