Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #1741
LarryDawg
trials nut

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Late,

But last weekend we were in Texas, for CRTC.
Here's dad cleaning a section, must been sunday?
Trying to embed this link? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OkGp69n-Te8

Thanks to Rokhopr for the video upload to youtube!
Your dad sure can ride. he makes it look easy wether its the modern bike he is riding in video or that ol TL he built up..
LarryDawg
Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #1742
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDawg View Post
if you had a precision measuring device such as calipers and can give me exact measurments I would beable to make a brass bushing to get you buy with...
Larry
The 39mm x 36mm x 20mm I mentioned in my other post is an exact measurement. So that's 39mm OD, 36mm ID, 20mm tall and the thickness is 1.5mm which is why the ID is 3mm smaller. If you can help out I would really appreciate it! The bike is dead in the water without being able to put the forks back together. I sent you a PM earlier also.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #1743
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
The 39mm x 36mm x 20mm I mentioned in my other post is an exact measurement. So that's 39mm OD, 36mm ID, 20mm tall and the thickness is 1.5mm which is why the ID is 3mm smaller. If you can help out I would really appreciate it! The bike is dead in the water without being able to put the forks back together. I sent you a PM earlier also.
I have found that machinist prefer some decimal points on the measurements. And a ± tolerance is expected as well.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 AM   #1744
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
I have found that machinist prefer some decimal points on the measurements. And a ± tolerance is expected as well.
Adding non-significant digits does nothing for accuracy so why would I add a decimal with a zero after it? I used to be a drafter and have lots of experience with dimensions. As far as tolerances, it is such a tight fit I couldn't even guess on that.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #1745
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
I started to rebuild my forks, but hit a roadblock. The one bushing is completely shot and they are no longer available from Gas Gas.

Anybody know where I can get a 39mmx36mmx20mm bushing?
Coop,

Just a suggestion, from a person that has had to find obscure parts before (not just trials)... SINCE gasgas doesn't stock it anymore, your next attempt probably be contacting some of the "dealers" or even might need to reach out to riders/dealers on the other continents. I "think" you are on Trials Central, there are guys that reply to call "xxxx" for parts I would have thought were hard/old to come by for even gasgas... Might check around those forums? I cant swear you will get satisfaction but sometimes you will find others that solved the problem, or know what might fit (there were a lot more of them old bikes overseas, I am pretty sure).

On another note, a machinist could replicate, can you get the other one off so they can measure and copy, without destroying?
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #1746
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Thanks. Scott Armstrong from MotoConnectionVT is actually checking with Beta in Italy to see if they have them because I guess some Beta's used the same exact forks.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #1747
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Thanks. Scott Armstrong from MotoConnectionVT is actually checking with Beta in Italy to see if they have them because I guess some Beta's used the same exact forks.
I knew you probably already started thinking what I posted, but you know I never know if it helps or not. Sounds like you reached someone that can help.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #1748
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Adding non-significant digits does nothing for accuracy so why would I add a decimal with a zero after it? I used to be a drafter and have lots of experience with dimensions. As far as tolerances, it is such a tight fit I couldn't even guess on that.
don't guess, measure.

I have done a little machining, absolute hack really. Stuff I have done I was giving tolerances of ¼" on a 3" part. Just needed some metal cut back for clearance. So if you asked me to machine out your part, with no tolereance specified, like you asked for. OD of 39mm ±½mm I would feel would be in the specs. No decimal points, tolerance rounds to your diminsion. I am very sure that will NOT work for this application.

After being chewed out by some machinist friends (who are WAY better then I will ever be), I have learned to give something more then rough diminsions if I want the part to fit tight. Adding a decimal point does tighten down the fit. 39.0mm will give a range of 39.05 to 38.95 which is 1/10th the tolerance of just 39mm. Better would be to give a window, 38.95-39.00mm. A cheap digital caliper can do wonders.
OK, enough of my machine work rant...

Yes, old bikes can be interesting to get parts for. But they are out there. I kept a Fantic 250 alive for years. I could still find new clutches without too much difficulity. About the only thing I could not touch was body parts. Try a supplier, if they don't have it ask them who might. It is a well connected community. Joe knows Bob who knows Dave who has the parts.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #1749
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Bluhduh Down to one

My Gas Gas went to a new home. It is just the RT and me.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #1750
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,170
Just re geared my TLR for some trail riding . And just found out there will be two vintage trials event right down the highway from me in September and November ... Even if I ain't ready I will ride it takin the tlr and ty175

I can't get out and ride much but I need to set up a backyard obstacle course ASAP
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #1751
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 728
Playing in the yard today...

Not great at it yet, but learning to bunny hop...

jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #1752
LarryDawg
trials nut

well I rode mine today....

figured it would be the last time i got to ride her before i traded her off... and the fella never called or returned my messages..
Oh well,
I do have an extra XR200 motor and been looking for a TL125 frame to set it in...with right gearing should be a fun lil bike.
I havent given up yet as Sheeeeiiiiiitttt happens and he usually comes through so only time will tell....
LarryDawg
Old 04-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #1753
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDawg View Post
figured it would be the last time i got to ride her before i traded her off... and the fella never called or returned my messages..
Oh well,
I do have an extra XR200 motor and been looking for a TL125 frame to set it in...with right gearing should be a fun lil bike.
I havent given up yet as Sheeeeiiiiiitttt happens and he usually comes through so only time will tell....
LarryDawg
No worries, he`s probably still trying to get the gasser to run!! Keep riding the ole 250 and having fun!!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #1754
LarryDawg
trials nut

yeah aint worried too much.....

but sure was looking forward to gettin a new toy today!!!
was nice day to have fun.....
Larry
Old 04-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #1755
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
Not great at it yet, but learning to bunny hop...
Nice!

I can't wait to fix my forks so I can start riding and practicing stuff like this. In the mean time I've been finding some obstacles in my side wood lot. I'm going to annoy my neighbor below me probably but he is a grumpy old coot anyway .