Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 04:52 AM   #2251
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Got the old girl started finally and rode around the yard. Last time I tried I kicked it 100 times and nothing. Yesterday 3 kicks and it fired right up LOL. I think it just likes to be difficult :).
Old 04-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #2252
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Went to Hickory Hills (Lenoir City, TN) tonight after work to run the 9 sections I ran this past Saturday and Sunday as part of an STRA event. I wanted to go back and redo the sections I was having a hard time with for practice.

3 solid hours of riding until it finally got too dark to see!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #2253
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
Went to Hickory Hills (Lenoir City, TN) tonight after work to run the 9 sections I ran this past Saturday and Sunday as part of an STRA event. I wanted to go back and redo the sections I was having a hard time with for practice.

3 solid hours of riding until it finally got too dark to see!
Nice.
"Be the labor great or small, do it well or not at all."
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #2254
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
Nice.
"Be the labor great or small, do it well or not at all."
Ride till you clean it, not once, twice, but three times and move to the next. That`s how you get better at trials. Plus the workout can`t hurt!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #2255
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,922
Replaced these rear brake pads...

With these...

Might just work better, ya think?

Oh, gotta check the fronts.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #2256
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 193
Well I continued taking things apart on the 2001 GG 321 trying to get the chassis sorted out this spring, since last spring was clutch/carb/head/controls repairs.

The rear wheel is at the Tryals Shop getting new bearings and a new dunlop, I have some new dogbone and front wheel bearings coming back with it to install.

I tried to disassemble the forks this evening and without a helping hand to try to secure the inners I was not able to get the nut loose on top. I have a neighbor with a vice, I hope that and some old serpentine belt pieces will let me get the innards loose tomorrow. If anyone has a good trick for securing the inners without damage feel free to share. I have had the new seals for a year but have not put them on until now, so trying to get that done to stop the leaking.

I was measuring the rear spring so Mike at the Tryals Shop could see if he has a replacement that is not sagged. Mine is only 5 7/8ths inch long now, which means when I have the preload adjustment at the minimum setting there is a 5/8ths inch gap between the spring and the adjuster, I asked Mike and he agreed, there should be no gap there. I think its supposed to be at least 6 1/2 inchs long. So I was looking at how to remove the spring from the shock. The narrow/skinny end of the spring wont clear the threaded part of the shock body for the preload adjustment, nor will it clear the bottom due to the small adjuster which I am guessing is the dampening adjustment. So if anyone has a trick for removing the spring on an old SACHS shock I would appreciate it.

Weather is getting nice and the ride is still in pieces, so I hoping to get her back together soon ;)

wb22rules screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 05:17 PM
wb22rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #2257
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Went over to my neighbors and used his vise with some wood and leather welding gloves and got the forks taken care of easily.

Still unsure of how to replace the spring on the original SACHS shock, I tried to see if the top of the shock would unscrew with the same technique, but I was afraid to tighten the vise enough to keep it from spinning for fear I would crush it......
Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #2258
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Went riding in Belgium, very nice two days classic Trials Event (Euro- Cup), one round had 30km, 120km in total.

Around 300 riders from nearly everywere in Europe, from Spain and Italy in the very South up to UK and Sweden from the very North, all in all 14 nations!

Here a Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw39A2etkcM
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #2259
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
Went riding in Belgium, very nice two days classic Trials Event (Euro- Cup), one round had 30km, 120km in total.

Around 300 riders from nearly everywere in Europe, from Spain and Italy in the very South up to UK and Sweden from the very North, all in all 14 nations!

Here a Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw39A2etkcM
Blocked in this country based on music copyright violations :(
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #2260
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr View Post
Blocked in this country based on music copyright violations :(
Sorry, I did not knew that. Here a photo stream: https://picasaweb.google.com/debumik...ygE&feat=email
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #2261
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
The video worked for me, great stuff!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #2262
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
Sorry, I did not knew that. Here a photo stream: https://picasaweb.google.com/debumik...ygE&feat=email

Thanks for the pictures as well, the video was only blocked on my iphone, oddly enough.. Lots of cool vintage bikes, thanks for sharing..
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #2263
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Took apart one of my forks to try to fix the frozen adjuster and replace the seal. I saw in another thread that the how to videos Jim Snell had made disappeared recently, how convenient, just as I get elbow deep into my suspension

I will put together another thread with some questions I have so as not to clutter this one up as I could use a little advice from the vets here
Old 04-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #2264
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,488
I got some good stuff done to the Beta tonight.

New rear tire, new rear brake pads, spark plug (had the original ), replaced the damn bolt that fell out of the kickstand mount, replaced the damn bolt that fell out of the fender…again, replaced the grips with Dominos, etc.

I hate the drill for replacing the rear tire so tried this:

I put an old tube in the new tire, aired it up to pooch it out a lot and then sat the tire in the sun all day. Spooned it on and the beads were still a little bit "out" so I put the air to it and….. voila, it took!!

The Domino grips beat me up though!
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #2265
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,011
... worked out why it sounded as though my engine was rattling itself apart causing me to miss the second day of riding in a weekend event.

turned out to be a seam in the exhaust pipe of the sherco 290 rattling! off to find a tig welder now. thought i'd mention it in case it happens to anyone else.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote