Old 04-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #287
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
No. No, we don't go again.

No worries...this ones MINE.

It's a gift for my CR 480 R. They were both made in the same year.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #288
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
No worries...this ones MINE.

It's a gift for my CR 480 R. They were both made in the same year.

brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #289
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
I just want to say thanks to the King Phillip Trail Riders & NETA for hosting a great event this past Sunday in Wrentham, MA. It was my 1st day riding trials other than in my back yard and I had a blast. I was very fortunate to have attended the Trials School held at Exeter, RI last Sunday sponsored by the RITC & NETA and to have had Harry Grant, Bill McCormick, Dave Naismith and "Coach" as instructors. I learned quite a lot that day and have been looking forward to riding at the KPTR event which was this past Sunday in Wrentham, MA. I also wanted to thank Stu from Jack's Cycle for getting me a replacement kick starter lever in time for the events. I also had the pleasure of riding several sections with Jack of Jack's Cycle, what a great guy, I was flattered that he asked me to ride with him.

Coincidently, last time I rode with Dave I was 12 years old on my Honda QA50, 38 years ago. Thats a flashback for sure. He used to let me follow him and a friend around in the woods and showed me how to climb over logs, up steep hills and over junk cars. I've been wantng to ride trials ever since and finally did with of all people, him.

Walt Disney was right, its a small world after all.

Bob

Well dang, was that advertised anywhere? If it was, I missed it. I would have loved to have taken that class.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #290
Bob_M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Check out the NETA website

Details were on the New England Trials Association website.

http://www.newenglandtrials.org/

It was a great event hosted by the RI Trials Club, many local & regional champ level riders volumteering their time to instruct at all levels of ability. Too bad you missed this but there is always next year.

I'm hooked and can't wait for the next event.

Bob
Bob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #291
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,065
small progress

I've been trying to get my head around the zap. It looks so easy in Ryan Young's video but I've been struggling with getting the rear tire in the air. All of my attempts prior to today just ended up being double blips. I finally was able to get the rear tire up this evening, but the timing is tricky. Sometimes I'll get close with the timing and it feels like I'm in the ballpark but other times I'm basically just bunny hopping into the obstacle. The pic below is of one of the latter attempts. I still make it up, but I hit the edge with skid plate first instead of setting the rear wheel on top.

It's progress though, so I'll take it.

motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #292
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
First thing you should know is that you won't need to know that maneuver until you're riding the expert class. The basics are what will save you points in the sections.
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #293
John D

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
I've been trying to get my head around the zap. It looks so easy in Ryan Young's video but I've been struggling with getting the rear tire in the air. All of my attempts prior to today just ended up being double blips. I finally was able to get the rear tire up this evening, but the timing is tricky. Sometimes I'll get close with the timing and it feels like I'm in the ballpark but other times I'm basically just bunny hopping into the obstacle. The pic below is of one of the latter attempts. I still make it up, but I hit the edge with skid plate first instead of setting the rear wheel on top.

It's progress though, so I'll take it.

That obstacle is not a very good one to Zap. The ramp is not helping your Zap. You need to drive your front wheel into a vertical and unload the rear as it hits.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #294
John D

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
First thing you should know is that you won't need to know that maneuver until you're riding the expert class. The basics are what will save you points in the sections.
This is 100% true. Practice turns until your blue in the face...then practice turning again.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #295
r2wtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
5 months after dislocation of my knee and i have finally managed a ride on the bike!! After all this time polishing and adding new plastics, graphics and various bling bits it was time to see if i could remember what way to point the bike and which hand was the brake or clutch...

... although very much lacking in rider fitness it went fairly well. A few nasty moments where i had to dab amongst the rocks with my bad leg but generally pleased with the first ride. I think my brain was being a bit over protective of my leg as well so nothing silly was tried.
Can't believe how quickly i got arm pump up though, i used to be fitter than i thought!!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #296
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D View Post
That obstacle is not a very good one to Zap. The ramp is not helping your Zap. You need to drive your front wheel into a vertical and unload the rear as it hits.
The picture is deceiving. The little ramp is off to the right side for variety. I am using the vertical section in the picture I posted. A better pic of the obstacle is below for clarity.

Funny about the "drive your front wheel" thing. Ryan Young talks about "setting the front on top and then setting the rear on top" but when he does the demonstration in the video, he then talks about driving your front wheel.

I am attempting to drive the front wheel into the face and rebound, but I'm not always successful. In fact, mostly not.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #297
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John D View Post
This is 100% true. Practice turns until your blue in the face...then practice turning again.
Thanks. Yes, I do know this. I started competing this year to get out and meet/ride with/learn from other riders, but competition is not important to me. I know turns are where I drop points, but practicing/attempting stuff like the zap is fun, and FUN is why I ride motorcycles. I spend a good portion of each ride practicing basics - but I spend as much or more time doing what's fun (and some days turning is what's fun).
Old 05-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #298
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 20,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2wtrials View Post
5 months after dislocation of my knee and i have finally managed a ride on the bike!! After all this time polishing and adding new plastics, graphics and various bling bits it was time to see if i could remember what way to point the bike and which hand was the brake or clutch...

Feels good, doesn't it?

It has been an uphill climb for me after wrecking my knee(s), but things are going much better with then now. I am only one of a few in the club wearing knee braces, but I am religious about them now.

Be careful, but it's great to see a "wounded warrior" back at it again!!!!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #299
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 20,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
Funny about the "drive your front wheel" thing. Ryan Young talks about "setting the front on top and then setting the rear on top" but when he does the demonstration in the video, he then talks about driving your front wheel.
With that obstacle (IMO) you will either need to do a roll up where you crowd the face and drive up it or drive the front into it. You will not have much luck setting the front tire on top of it, especially with the uphill approach.

For me, that is an awkward height to drive the front wheel into it. You need to be very precise on the target for the front and hit it just below the edge. YRMV because I basically know crap!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #300
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
With that obstacle (IMO) you will either need to do a roll up where you crowd the face and drive up it or drive the front into it. You will not have much luck setting the front tire on top of it, especially with the uphill approach.

For me, that is an awkward height to drive the front wheel into it. You need to be very precise on the target for the front and hit it just below the edge. YRMV because I basically know crap!
Yes, the precision has been a problem for me too! Fortunately, I'm able to just roll up it when I get it wrong. I was trying it on a smaller log, and the "set on top" thing seemed quite a bit easier. I am trying to drive into the face to use the suspension on this obstacle, but consistency is a problem.

You mention it being an awkward height. Can you clarify a little? Is it that it's too high to set on top of, but too small/low to drive the front into? Or am I way off base? I do get that a double blip/roll up approach is more appropriate, and have no trouble getting up it that way.

I'm using this particular obstacle to work on the mechanics because it has a very low penalty for failure. I'm hoping that I can get close, and then transfer it to obstacles where a zap is more appropriate.

Thanks!