Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #301
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2wtrials View Post
5 months after dislocation of my knee and i have finally managed a ride on the bike!!

Out of curiosity, did the knee injury happen on the trials bike?
motojunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #302
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
You mention it being an awkward height. Can you clarify a little? Is it that it's too high to set on top of, but too small/low to drive the front into? Or am I way off base? I do get that a double blip/roll up approach is more appropriate, and have no trouble getting up it that way.
This may be only for me, so take it as such.

If it was lower, or on a downhill approach, you could initiate a small wheelie, then set (more of a bounce) the front wheel on top of the ledge to compress the suspension and then jump the whole bike up on top (with a second clutch release).

With the height you are working with, it is awkward to set the front wheel on top and also when you try to drive the front into it the bike is at too low of an angle to compress the front and rear suspension to get the "pop" that you are looking for to get the bike up.

If it was higher, you could drive the front into the face, compress the suspension and the bike could be at about 45 degrees and it would launch up way easier.

I may be way off and maybe someone can explain it better, but I hope that this helps.

BTW,
This is what makes trials so much fun and challenging for me. There is nothing absolute, and we need to be able to get up (or down and around) all obstacles in a variety of ways.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #303
r2wtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post

Out of curiosity, did the knee injury happen on the trials bike?
Accident at home.... thats what i told work ;)
Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #304
r2wtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

Feels good, doesn't it?

It has been an uphill climb for me after wrecking my knee(s), but things are going much better with then now. I am only one of a few in the club wearing knee braces, but I am religious about them now.

Be careful, but it's great to see a "wounded warrior" back at it again!!!!
I used a compression type knee brace with a hinged strap either side. Physio warned me off the full knee braces as they are so good you get no give and people tend to then break their bones above or below the brace. Think he means the full on motocross type braces. Too bulky for me to ride with anyway. I will ride a few times with the velcro flexy one and then ditch it once i can.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #305
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Quote:
This may be only for me, so take it as such.

If it was lower, or on a downhill approach, you could initiate a small wheelie, then set (more of a bounce) the front wheel on top of the ledge to compress the suspension and then jump the whole bike up on top (with a second clutch release).

With the height you are working with, it is awkward to set the front wheel on top and also when you try to drive the front into it the bike is at too low of an angle to compress the front and rear suspension to get the "pop" that you are looking for to get the bike up.

If it was higher, you could drive the front into the face, compress the suspension and the bike could be at about 45 degrees and it would launch up way easier.

I may be way off and maybe someone can explain it better, but I hope that this helps.

BTW,
This is what makes trials so much fun and challenging for me. There is nothing absolute, and we need to be able to get up (or down and around) all obstacles in a variety of ways.
That makes good sense, thanks. I've been hesitant driving the front into the face, because it seems like the bike is not at enough of an angle - feels like I might bounce right off backward, instead of upward.

I completely agree, this is what is fun about trials to me too. I like learning and understanding how to do different things with the bike.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #306
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,527
Quote:
Ditto this statement. We've spent countless days working on a single rock trying to master one way to get up it and then throw that out the window and try another way. After years of practice you end up with 2-4 different ways to get up the same obstacle which will come into play in sections depending on the approach given by the ribbon and what is required after the obstacle.
Fun sport this trials thing!!
Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #307
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,139
MJ, I'm much, much more of a noob than you at this so don't pay too much attention... even so, I've gone over a number of rocks and ledges using something like a zap or double-blip on regular dirt bikes. For an approach like your's I'd plant the front wheel into the top of the face so about the lower quarter or third of the wheel hit. You want enough tire on it so that the forks and shock compress a bit, but not so much that its a really hard impact or stops you in your tracks. Its worked well for me on the MX bikes on rocks and logs. I haven't done boards or tried it on a proper trials bike yet.

Best pic I have isn't great, but this is just after impact (you can see the tire has already rebounded and the forks are on their way). This rock had a nice rounded top, but the lower bit was vertical so driving into it without a wheelie would not have ended well.

This loaded things up enough that the bike sort of hopped (probably not the right word) and, at least it felt like, the rear tire left the ground before hitting the rock, then contacted the rock, gripped and, with a bunch of throttle, I projected myself skyward.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #308
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294

I want to see the landing...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:36 AM   #309
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post

I thought I was in the supercross thread!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #310
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,139
Quote:

Ask and you shall receive

And a different shot (that's ADV'er Chacha on the ktm)

And in case you are bored here's some more MX bike hooliganism from the same ride. This was off a small rock that was fairly slopped. Just drove off it, pulled the nose way up, then stabbed the rear brake and pushed it down for the landing

And more squidding around on the MX bike

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 06:10 AM
BikePilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #311
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294

Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #312
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:

agreed.. pretty impressive riding there.. theres a good chance you'd be amazing on a real trials bike..
Old 05-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #313
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief View Post
agreed.. pretty impressive riding there.. theres a good chance you'd be amazing on a real trials bike..
Well, he rode one for the first time outside of his yard today and did very well. I only saw him upside down and under the bike once, and that was after the we were both done and went out to try out some of the harder lines. I don't think it's going to take long for him to be very good at trials.

I'll let him fill in the details...
Old 05-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #314
ffchick
FF = firefighter :)

Oddometer: 286
took the bikes to a friends today, we are pretty much brand new trials riders but are having fun. Even got the TE250 around the track there a few times.

ffchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 AM   #315
PTRadam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
evening ride

Went for a Sunday Evening ride last night. Refreshing!
PTRadam is offline   Reply With Quote