Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #496
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Passed out yesterday while almost riding.

This is so true! I was exhausted and dehydrated the rest of the day after that practice!

Good to get out again though!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:54 AM   #497
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,321
got some practice in this weekend..

its been tooo long!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:20 AM   #498
stuckinarut
endozen

Oddometer: 122
I hope it's ok to post this question here as I couldn't really decide which thread to utilize. I have a real head-scratcher that I am trying to figure out, here goes....
I have a strange condition that I am not even sure how to begin to diagnose. I’m hoping someone here can get me pointed in the right direction. I have a 2000 Sherco/Bultaco 250, I am the third owner. When I purchased the bike, the previous owner explained that the clutch would sometimes “lock-up” after it sits for a few days. He explained that it could be “broken loose” by putting the bike in gear (while dead) and yanking backwards on the handlebars. After nearly 1 year of ownership, this condition has just started to develop and has been present the last three times I wanted to ride. The last two times it occurred I couldn’t break the clutch loose with the engine dead and I needed to actually ride the bike with the clutch pulled in to make the plates break-free (rolling start in neutral, click it into first gear and on a slight up-hill grade rev the engine with the clutch lever pulled in and it would break loose in about 30 feet). Once the clutch is free, the bike acts completely normal and ridable for the rest of the day. I hardly think this should be normal. Is this anything the experienced riders here have heard of before and does anyone have any advice as to how I should proceed? Thank you very much for any assistance the folks here can provide.
stuckinarut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 AM   #499
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinarut View Post
I hope it's ok to post this question here as I couldn't really decide which thread to utilize. I have a real head-scratcher that I am trying to figure out, here goes....
I have a strange condition that I am not even sure how to begin to diagnose. I’m hoping someone here can get me pointed in the right direction. I have a 2000 Sherco/Bultaco 250, I am the third owner. When I purchased the bike, the previous owner explained that the clutch would sometimes “lock-up” after it sits for a few days. He explained that it could be “broken loose” by putting the bike in gear (while dead) and yanking backwards on the handlebars. After nearly 1 year of ownership, this condition has just started to develop and has been present the last three times I wanted to ride. The last two times it occurred I couldn’t break the clutch loose with the engine dead and I needed to actually ride the bike with the clutch pulled in to make the plates break-free (rolling start in neutral, click it into first gear and on a slight up-hill grade rev the engine with the clutch lever pulled in and it would break loose in about 30 feet). Once the clutch is free, the bike acts completely normal and ridable for the rest of the day. I hardly think this should be normal. Is this anything the experienced riders here have heard of before and does anyone have any advice as to how I should proceed? Thank you very much for any assistance the folks here can provide.
Very common & more or less normal for trials bikes.

I'm running to a meeting & don't have time to yap, but just wanted to ease your mind a bit. Hopefully someone will come along and explain further.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 AM   #500
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
my Beta does the same thing. best to put it in 2nd gear when you first take off and hold the clutch in and rev bike with the brakes on till it fee's up. sometimes old oil will make this problem worse. also make sure you have a clear path before you put it in gear. I would'nt worry about it though a least you know the clutch is working good.
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #501
Bent_boot42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
That is very normal, my 04' sherco 290 does it as well if I don't ride it for more than a week. I have found that riding a few feet in 4th gear is the easiest way to free it up. Don't worry about it, Ride it!
Bent_boot42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #502
stuckinarut
endozen

Thanks for the replies moto, joe and bent. I am relieved to know there isn't something seriously wrong with the bike. It's remarkable what I am learning on AND off the trials bike. After more than 3 decades of riding dirt bikes, this is the first time I have learned of this condition. I posed my quandry to another notable trials figure and he also assured me this was "normal". He also suggested that I try 400 grit paper on the drive plates. I followed his advice and naturally it has fresh oil now. Last oil change was in the fall when I bought it so the oil probably had 20-25 hours on it. I gotta admit, these bikes sure are easy to wrench on. Rarely more than 3 fasteners to get at anything on the bike.

Finally yeah, the clear flight path is pretty vital when this condition rears it's head. The first time it happened to me came with a pretty good pucker factor. Thanx again.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #503
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,201
Stuckinarut, you better make sure that bike is in order because

I hear you are hosting a big trials extravaganza soon

I got my tires on finally.
Doctor Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #504
workutah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
My 05 did the same thing. After the water pump went it got worse till it was almost impossible to break loose. I finally replaced the fiber plates with cork plates. Fixed problem entirely.
workutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #505
stuckinarut
endozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zed View Post
Stuckinarut, you better make sure that bike is in order because

I hear you are hosting a big trials extravaganza soon

I got my tires on finally.
Looking forward to it! Don't forget to sign the waiver!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #506
ffchick
FF = firefighter :)

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinarut View Post
Looking forward to it! Don't forget to sign the waiver!
and Zed bring a helmet so when I post pictures again I don't get flamed
ffchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #507
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffchick View Post
and Zed bring a helmet so when I post pictures again I don't get flamed
Hey, I brought a helmet last time.
Just didn't wear it. I'll wear one this time.
I know how all the other kids look up to me.

And does this count as a waver
Doctor Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #508
stuckinarut
endozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zed View Post
And does this count as a waver
Ayup, that works.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #509
stuckinarut
endozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by workutah View Post
My 05 did the same thing. After the water pump went it got worse till it was almost impossible to break loose. I finally replaced the fiber plates with cork plates. Fixed problem entirely.
Cork plates...interesting. I will definitely keep that in mind if this niggling issue persists or gets worse. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #510
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Finally picked it up...practiced balance on it for 15 minutes and was wiped.

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
Attached Images

Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote