Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #646
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,918
Skills question for y'all... There's another rock in my yard, about 3' tall flat top, maybe 7' across. I can get the front wheel on it by compressing the suspension right before gassing it, but I keep getting hung up on the skidplate. Can't get the rear tire up. Suggestions? Bigger wheelie?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #647
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,456
Today was my second day out and we tackled some muddy steep inclines with wet leaves over exposed tree roots in the rain.

I also broke convention and put an 1 1/2" bar riser in, which worked out fine for me.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #648
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,689
We had a two day riding clinic that the top two guys in our club put on and it was great!!

Here is Hunter doing a splatter, who I think is around 9 years old and was riding an electric Oset last year.

I love Ateam's expression at the end!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #649
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Skills question for y'all... There's another rock in my yard, about 3' tall flat top, maybe 7' across. I can get the front wheel on it by compressing the suspension right before gassing it, but I keep getting hung up on the skidplate. Can't get the rear tire up. Suggestions? Bigger wheelie?
You could try a smaller wheelie, hit the the top of the rock about 8" from the top.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #650
LCNMRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Laugh Riding Clinic-San Y, NM

Gordy, Thanks for posting the vid. Always cool to see your own kid. I would like to say a special Thanks! to Nathan and Sam for all their hard work in putting on this clinic this weekend. I know I learned more than I could have imagined.

When we started Nathan said "were gonna hop the front wheel", and I thought yea right, but I did. When he said were gonna do "splatters" I thought that this is what happens to a bug on my windshield and I am sure it is what I will look like after I attempt it-better call the ambulance first- but damn, I pulled it off. I would have never guessed it possible. Bunnyhops, rear wheel hops, floaters, Jap-Zap (or whatever that's called), ride ups, splatters-Wow!

Now don't get me wrong, I crashed more times yesterday than I do in a month and nothing I did looked pretty. My bike and body took a beating, but I managed to do everything that they showed us at least once. Right On guys!

Mucho Thanks.

Gotta go, got lots to practice now.

Rick

FYI-Hunter has been on that Sherco for about two months thanks to Ryan Young.
LCNMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #651
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
We had a two day riding clinic that the top two guys in our club put on and it was great!!

Here is Hunter doing a splatter, who I think is around 9 years old and was riding an electric Oset last year.

This is so awesome!! Way to go Hunter!!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #652
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,689
Here is Nathan in the same area with a slightly larger splatter.

Notice how much higher it is than him when he rolls up to it and also the commentary is pretty damn funny.

"That's pretty big Sam".............
................"Not for a 300."
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:41 AM   #653
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,354
I didn't ride my bike yesterday,but observed at day 3 of the New Zealand National Trials Championship. I took my youngest son with me (15) and treamed up at a section where I could get him to see the parts I couldn't,and then checked with each other for scores. No pictures as with over 70 riders there was practically no rests all day - I couldn't even really watch the riding as all I was focused on was their feet and wheels. My arm is sore from holding it aloft all day.

Got to see Jake Whitaker ride - now 2 times New Zealand Trials Champion,and 2 times Australian Trials Champion. Pretty impressive - he doesn't just hop the bike around,he does 90 degree turns in one go. They had to do a 180 turn in my section ( A Grade and Expert only,other grades missed that bit) and the others hopped it around - Jake starts with about a 120 degree stoppy coming down the steep bank,and cleans his rear wheel at the same time! While stopped lining up his next obstacle,I see him select 3rd gear for a pretty steep climb and jump up a rock. He was the only rider using a minder.

I might of missed a few dabs,but didn't ping anyone for dabs they didn't do - although there were a couple who questioned my judgement,but when I pointed out the second observer backing up my count they backed down. I have observed at club trials and the North Island Champs,but this was my first national,and we had a good day. I could have taken my bike to get around the very steep property,and to ride my own section at the end of the day - but that would've been a bit unfair to my son...and my trailer was still full of dirt.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #654
Mike D
Corporate Cog

Oddometer: 1,313
Last Night

Over the past weekend, bought my first trials bike:

I've been riding street bikes and ds's for years, have always wanted to get into trials, and finally pulled the trigger.

I was messing around with it last night after work; put my street boots on (haven't bought trials gear yet), my old mx helmet; really geared up to learn.

I learned to hop up onto the shortest part of a rock wall that runs along my house/garage (about 1.5 feet high). I do it a few times, each time trying to get a little better; better timing, better hop, etc... All was going well, so I decided to try to use the wall as a kicker to jump up to the top of the hill that the wall is retaining (about 8 feet up, 45 degree slope); you know, REALLY get a hop up off of it.

I stop and balance before the wall, and then go for it. I hit it too hard, which throws my front wheel straight up in the air, along with the rear wheel and my body. Upon landing, I decide I'm just going to let the bike go, just bail, no point in trying to save this one. Somehow, right before landing, I pin the throttle and let the clutch out. The bike lands on the rear wheel and promptly rockets straight up into the air, ripping itself from my hands. I shit you not, the bike flew close to eight feet in the air, and landed well behind me at the bottom of the hill, next to the garage. It did a complete rotation in the air. It was spectacular.

When I picked it up, the bars had become slightly misaligned with the front wheel. Loosened the triple clamps, straightened it out, and continued on.

I hope my story has provided some amusement.......amazing the instant power these machines have!!!
"There are dreams of love, life, and adventure in all of us. But we are also sadly filled with reasons why we shouldn't try. These reasons seem to protect us, but in truth they imprison us. They hold life at a distance. Life will be over sooner than we think. If we have bikes to ride and people to love, now is the time." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross (1926-2004)

Help keep our trails open; join COHVCO
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #655
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
It did a complete rotation in the air. It was spectacular.
Not bad. Next time, stay with the bike for the flip. That'd be impressive!

Glad that you're enjoying your new toy.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #656
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Over the past weekend, bought my first trials bike:

The bike lands on the rear wheel and promptly rockets straight up into the air, ripping itself from my hands. I shit you not, the bike flew close to eight feet in the air, and landed well behind me at the bottom of the hill, next to the garage. It did a complete rotation in the air. It was spectacular.

When I picked it up, the bars had become slightly misaligned with the front wheel. Loosened the triple clamps, straightened it out, and continued on.

I hope my story has provided some amusement.......amazing the instant power these machines have!!!
Sorry for so many edits, lol!

Now you see!!! this is why you HAVE to use the buddy system when you JOIN THE DARK SIDE!
Hate to see you risk so much injury, shIIIIIIt that would have killed me.
(you know I am joking, hope we get more daring guys like you into trials)

You arent that far from a ton of good riders that can teach you some basics to get ahold of, before you try Pastrana type things...

SALUTE!

AHEM Brewtus, you need to post the "Welcome to" for this crazy dude! lol.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #657
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,186
I don’t believe you, go out and do the same thing again but this time video it

grizzzly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #658
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

So much awesomeness here. That look is, how long will it be before he beats me? Hunter had some mad skilz on his tricked out Ocet. He is adjusting to the power and size very well. Good stuff TrailBoss, you and Al were looking great.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #659
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
Well yesterday I rolled some bikes out of my shop and got to my GG 280. Seeing I haven't rode it in a while[bought a 4RT] I checked a few things and rode it in the alley for a while. I have it for sale but don't care if it sells or not.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #660
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
So, what do you do when you're away from home for three weeks and have had a few maintenance items on the back-burner for a while? Take you bike apart and put in the back of the Subaru, then drag it into your hotel room and work on it in the evenings. I put the bike in the closet during the day and the house keeping staff has no idea that I have a bike in the room.

I had an S3 head that I've been wanting to install, as well as a nice LED light that I'm rigging up to fit to the GG. First the head (sorry for the crappy iPhone pic, it's indoors at night with only a few lamps for illumination).

The headlight I am still working on modifying the wiring. I'll post a full write up when I'm done.

Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote