Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #811
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTS View Post

Motojunky, I sold the Scorpa to a good friend so I'd always have a riding buddy. He's taking the picture. New carb and it spins like a top. NVTS
You know, I think we've had this conversation already. Memory... the second thing to go.

Glad to hear that a new carb did the trick. Were you able to find OEM, and if so, where?
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #812
Mike D
Corporate Cog

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat.Pilot View Post
I don't actually have a trials bike, so I use my XT225 for one

This video has some stuff that might interest you guys.

Log crossing craziness starts at 1:35. We found a set of three logs in a row and had to try them out. There is also a nice ravine crossing to accidental wheelie with 360 pirouette

I'll quit crapping up yer trials thread now
That's awesome - - - - looks (and sounds) like you guys had a great day!!!
"There are dreams of love, life, and adventure in all of us. But we are also sadly filled with reasons why we shouldn't try. These reasons seem to protect us, but in truth they imprison us. They hold life at a distance. Life will be over sooner than we think. If we have bikes to ride and people to love, now is the time." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross (1926-2004)

Help keep our trails open; join COHVCO
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #813
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
That's awesome - - - - looks (and sounds) like you guys had a great day!!!
Thanks!

I forgot to add that I am a big fan of trials. I lurk around the trials area a bunch. I just try to ride over things with my not-trials bike.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #814
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
You know, I think we've had this conversation already. Memory... the second thing to go.

Glad to hear that a new carb did the trick. Were you able to find OEM, and if so, where?
I got it from Ryan Young. Expensive, but the bike hasn't failed to run since; one kick fun machine. I'm headed to a Ryan Young school this weekend; I'm gonna get schooled! NVTS
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #815
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Lunch Ride

I work from home occasionally. When I'm lucky, the weather is good and I get time for lunch. Today was one of those days. I cleared some sticker bushes recently and today was the first time I got to play in that little spot. The picture below shows one little turn I was fiddling with. The "section" started in the lower right, coming over the log to the left of the skinny tree. The log is just high enough to bump the skidplate. The tree forces you to lean the bike more left than you would want to to clear the bars. You then have to move right to get around the next skinny tree before making a full lock left up through the rotted remnants of a log. It is very greasy/slippery there. The big leaning tree at the top left again forces you to lean further left sooner than you would like to get the bar under it. It makes getting traction tricky. For scale, it's about a bike length from the log at the start to the dark slippery spot at the start of the left turn.

I tried this little deal ~20 times and wasn't able to pull it off. For the first 5-8 or so I didn't think I'd ever get it. Then the ground started to pack down and form a little berm which helped and it finally clicked. From then on it was easy. Funny how that works. It's also funny how easy it looks in the picture...

motojunky screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 06:47 PM
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #816
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Old bikes are fun in the snow too

Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #817
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvadney View Post

Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #818
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,554
Well the 4rt is up and running. I took her out for a first ride Sunday in the snow at the local ORV area.

Tonight I adjusted the rear brake so I can actually use it. i should have checked that before leaving Sunday . I also swapped out the bars to something with a bit more rise than stock. I'm going to try the Protaper SE DRZ110 bend. It's pretty much the same as the renthal 6" bar, but slightly taller and just a touch narrower.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #819
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 644
gvadney, That's one fine looking Beezer! More pics are in order. I love the old engines and all the cast parts.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #820
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
gvadney, That's one fine looking Beezer! More pics are in order. I love the old engines and all the cast parts.

- Ken

Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #821
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
I'll admit, I stole this thread idea from a Toyota Land Cruiser forum that I belong to. But it's a cool idea.

So what did you do with your Trials Bike today? Maintenance? Compete? Overhaul? Restore? Nothing? Post it here!

I'll start off. I dragged out my old 314 Montesa to get it ready for Trials Camping Silliness next year, and decided that the destroyed LH bar switch (that controlled the long-gone lighting system) had to go.

Yeah, I know the hillbillied choke lever is hideous. Gimmie time....

After only 27 minutes of wrestling, the lighting wiring harness was freed from the 314...

I did discover that I had a new 314 clutch cable hidden with some new Aprilla Climber cables I had lying around.....

The 'Prilla cables seem to match the 314 cables exactly. Hmmmm....I may have to replace the throttle and clutch cables with these. I mean after all, it's SO much easier to come up with Aprilla cables than Montesa cables....

The finished product.

I just noticed that the bars are bent. I'll deal with that next week.

After removing the radiator scoop to get access to the cables and wiring, I am now wondering if I should put it back on or go with the "stripped" look. What do you all think??

Nice late 70's Dodge in the background! Nice nike too
Old 03-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #822
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 644
Glorious! You sir are a fortunate man to have such a fine machine.

Quote:
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #823
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,292
my pops is planing a lot of trail riding on the TY this weekend..plus the factory petcock is blown out the little donut with the 4 holes is shot.....is it sacriledge to throw this tank on ??

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #824
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
my pops is planing a lot of trail riding on the TY this weekend..plus the factory petcock is blown out the little donut with the 4 holes is shot.....is it sacriledge to throw this tank on ??

If you do keep that tank on, just switch the "a"and "i" around on the side cover and you'll be fine.
Doctor Zed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #825
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:

Nice bike, but its not a BSA, its a BSA motor fitted into what looks like a modern day HT5 Ariel frame. Back in the day the BSA Goldstar trials bikes, weighed around 100lbs more than the Miller modified HT5, but even back in 1956 the writing was on the wall for the heavy old single cylinder 4T bikes, with John Draper equally Millers score on his HT5 in that years SSDT riding a 150cc BSA Bantam!
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote