Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #991
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,898
I installed the low compression head insert and tweaked the gearing on my GG 250 today, that's what I did.
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #992
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
How do you like it? What do you notice the most about the change?
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #993
2whlrcr
gooligan

It smoothed the power delivery out, made it more linear and maybe a touch less overall power. I was coming off of a Beta 250 which was ultra smooth and zap of the GG 250 was throwing my timing off on big stuff.

I'm also down to a 10/42 combo vs. the stock 11/41. Our sections are pretty tight and I was constantly slipping the clutch in first gear with the stock gearing to go slow enough. Now both first and second seem more usable to me.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #994
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Sounds like it worked out well. I think the 10T is a good idea on the 250 as well.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #995
Honda Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
I installed the low compression head insert and tweaked the gearing on my GG 250 today, that's what I did.
Looks like I'm headed down the same path. I've got a low compression insert coming for a 300 Pro and was wondering what to expect.

Did you have to change or adjust anything when you swapped inserts?
Honda Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #996
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Sounds like it worked out well. I think the 10T is a good idea on the 250 as well.
I am surely causing controversy with this post, it will seem unintuitive. it comes from not only MY experience, and some of you think I am whack, but also arguing with my dear old dad for some 4 years about this exact issue.

One more background note, many riders, gearing the bike so it is slower, really does benifit... but it is those that fight getting the coordination of throttle - clutch - rear brake down, and appear to be semi outof control (going to fast in sections).

To me it is a "quick fix" which as you all know, you might pay for it later. just like me buying $35 dollar used tire for a pickup "to get by" with, then lost a tread, which does $200 dollars damage, instead of getting the 100 dollar tire. Still is essentially is All because I didnt do what I told myself I would do, when I got the used tire "to get by for now" and get new tire pretty soon...

So take this with just a grain or 2 of salt, but it is what I think after reaching the other side, so to speak. This wont apply to EXPERT or Master class champs, but I think they have already crossed this bridge to having that awesome clutch control.

I think gearing down, will help riders in lower classes that have "many other things to overcome" but if you stay with that, it will lead to problems later. The rider HAS to use the clutch to control the low speeds, especially with smaller displacement bikes.

The days of letting out the clutch, riding the section, then pulling the clutch to get your score punched, ended. IT ended way back in the 90's when the hydraulic clutch was sold on trials bikes from the factory, might been before that, but those guys could break your hand with a handsake, lol.

The longer you put off accomplishing "mastering" this, the longer you put off getting much better results, above novice amature. Yes, it is the "reward divided work" and work being practice practice practice.

Now, Im on the fence about the 250, but on the 300, it will help you for a while, on the easier sections. But beyond that, it will cause you to "spin out" instead of launching over things, or up things. The only way you will force yourself to become "in charge" so to speak, is the practice and getting used to running the clutch, just like the slip clutch on so many "automatics" will do, except it is in every way, customizable with your left index finger...

It makes such a big difference, I ride in 2nd gear now all the time, and I love it, before I was kind of nervouse to do it.

feel free to disagree, I don't mind it at all.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #997
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
Pretty simple. When entering a section sitting in line in nuetral. If there is any up`s in the section you shift up ,if it is all down hill shift down. If you want to punch thru shift down and ride over to the scorer. This always works as long as you know how to use the clutch. You might over shoot an obstacle, but you will never be `the guy` that always wimps it.
By the way I have always used second gear or above since my new `86 ty 350. Except riding vintage. The exciter is that thing in the right hand!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #998
r2wtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
It is still peeing down with rain here, and windy and cold. Supposed to be summer here in the UK!!!

So now the bike is complete i popped out in between rain showers to see if it actually rode!!

Old 06-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #999
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,849
Shweet!! Nice job on your SWM.

You want to take on OJ's restoration??

brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #1000
r2wtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
:) ... if i had another frame and wheels i think i have just about enough spares to build another swm now!! But now it is riding time rather than garage time.. if the rain stops long enough.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #1001
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,849
*Sigh* Story of my life. Guess I'll have to do it then.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #1002
2whlrcr
gooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Rider View Post
Looks like I'm headed down the same path. I've got a low compression insert coming for a 300 Pro and was wondering what to expect.

Did you have to change or adjust anything when you swapped inserts?
Nope. I was an easy swap. You might want to get an extra o ring head gasket, just in case you break yours. I was able to reuse mine, but would have been nice to have a spare, just in case. I was able to do it, without removing the radiator or exhaust.

The power difference is subtle, but noticeable while riding sections. Not sure if you would notice much difference trail riding the bike.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #1003
Honda Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Nice. I ordered new orings with the insert so it sounds like I should be covered. Thanks for the info.
Honda Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #1004
Woodduck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
4 hr Ride SE QLD

I'm new to riding in general and wanted to do trials to play catch up on skills. I corrupted a few blokes from work and we did a 4 hr ride in Canungra QLD with Total Trials.

Brilliant view, great ride, learnt heaps.
Woodduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #1005
2whlrcr
gooligan

I crashed in the rocks today and chipped the shit out of my shiney new GG red frame. I hate it when that happens. Oh well, I can throw it away now and not feel bad about it anymore.